Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I once got a temp bann for real life threats for saying I'd kick MY OWN ass for losing to a certain class/spec (long time ago, don't remember wich one)

So ye, I don't find it that hard to believe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintbernard View Post
    So, just logged on to the forums to make a LF guild thread in the looking for players pve section. Only, when I go to make the thread, it is greyed out with the reasoning 'Account Banned'. Upon further investigation, I find I was banned for quoting what someone else had said on my own realm forums. The post was about posting on the AH and then spamming trade, to get someone to buy your item. There was about 5 posts of 'Great Technique, trying it later.' I quoted this, not meaning anything by it, just as a joke. I have never been banned from the forums before in a few years of playing. I don't use the forums that much either - just when I need a laugh. Was this perma ban really justified? The GM classified it as 'trolling'. Should I try to appeal this? Considering a clean track record and everything, my personal stance atm is that it isn't a fair ban IMO.

Yes, this is a QQ post.
    Where does it say you are permanently banned? Banned for days or weeks isn't permanent...
    All in all, here's how I see it..... Make yourself familiar with the forums rules. Those are usually found as sticky on the very top of every sub forum.
    Then try an appeal, best chance would be over phone. Call them, and explain what happened. If you act polite, and reflect your clean record with that, they likely un-ban you again.

Generally it is a forums violation in most forums to only quote someone, without your own clear contribution. By what you explained, well, trolling is a weird reason, yet it may fall into their automated catalog. I would call it spamming, which essentially also leads to a strike against you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Sounds like another forum we all visit...

It sucks OP, they love to ban for anything on the blizz forums. I got banned for 5 days for telling a guy that he did not have the required DPS to do MP10 so his input on it was invalid. Banned for harassment lol.
    If that was a dig at MMOchamp, I've never been banned for saying fuck in a completely passive context, they seem fairly content with mature language.

But seriously, fuck the WoW main forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    It has happened to me as well for trying to gain research participants. The individuals who moderate the forums tend to be over zealous and non-discriminate in who and why they ban ppl. Usually they can make it fit in their rules or posting, but generally not give any reason why it happened. You have to email them at wowreportedpost@blizzard.com to try to get a response. Even then they do not always answer. I usually try to find different ways to get at the moderators, which you can see on the forums still, to plead my case.

I received a two week ban for saying "Don't let some piece of shit ninjaing gear in a dungeon get to you"

I havent bothered posting there since.

Normally I would assume you did something wrong to deserve it, but not with the official forums. The mods there ban and delete whatever they want to with very little prejudice. They have a bad enough reputation for deleting legitimate threads and banning for small offenses that I just cannot give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

They don't ban you permanently on your first rule-breaking unless it's something extremely severe. For your account to have had lost it's posting privileges permanent, you must have crossed the line before on several occasions. I got a suspension a month or two ago for "Spamming/trolling". Lasted 3 hours. So I don't believe that you have not done anything wrong before. And if you indeed haven't, then I don't believe that this is solely what triggered a permaban.

I got perma banned for bad language a while ago... I tried to appeal it many times but failed, nothing you can really do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    You can appeal, but nothing will happen. The wow forums are garbage, they have the worst moderators I have ever seen on a forum.
    Have you seen Darsithis ?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-01-13 at 08:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    Sounds like another forum we all visit...

It sucks OP, they love to ban for anything on the blizz forums. I got banned for 5 days for telling a guy that he did not have the required DPS to do MP10 so his input on it was invalid. Banned for harassment lol.
    ...yeah, I can see why that happened to you lol.

The rules on many forums you go too clearly state that discrediting ones opinion/post because of "A-B-C" is not permitted.

I got a 5day ban for being a grammar nazi once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    Have you seen Darsithis ?
    He went there.....farewell poor soul!
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the wow forums are like that. Thats why i tend to never post there.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

i got 3 weekly bans due to bumping our recruitment thread. Apparently 1 bump per day on a thread that's on page 2 after @ 1 hour (faster when new content or expansions are about to launch) was deemed excessive for the masterminds that manage the official forums.

Worst thing on my case was that they cant appreciate the hard effort and work that's being placed into our guilds and trouble and worries we go through to maintain them with recruitment being a vital part of this equation.

Thats what comes from not playing your own game and distancing yourself from your player base. Dont have a single ban besides those 3 btw not in game or on forums and i play for 6 years... Paranoia on its finest

Reported the issue btw on all 3 times with mails and suggestions tried to explain to them how silly it is to get banned for bumping on the recruitment section due to the nature of the forum and the fact that wow official recruitment forums dont have many sub forums which makes way to many guilds fall under the one section with bumping being the natural result of it.

Suggested to them 2-3 times to make more sub forums like on MMO champion - for example pvp/pve sub forums or even horde/alliance ones (like it used to be for years on the old forums for whoever remembers those).

I would have had more luck talking to a rock.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2013-01-13 at 06:23 PM.

A reoccurring oddity I have had in my message board experience are the little things I've been nailed for in contrast to the outrageous things I've pulled in the past that was basically ignored. It's not even limited to one forum either, but several. I've never been outright banned though.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintbernard View Post
    You really don't seem to be understand the main purpose of the thread. I was joking in a thread on my realm forums, the OP of that thread had wrote a gigantic wall of rage text, it was hard not to laugh at him. And I have already justified why this is not a scam.

So you were trolling. Ban justified.

So they are passing out permabans for trolling now ?
    Much less for a quote in your signature.

I remember the good old days when it took death threats, hate speech or suggesting others commit suicide.

Deleted
    Bans on those forums seem so random, i got a month for suggesting use of cracked software and they permaban someone for some harmless joking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    They don't ban you permanently on your first rule-breaking unless it's something extremely severe. For your account to have had lost it's posting privileges permanent, you must have crossed the line before on several occasions. I got a suspension a month or two ago for "Spamming/trolling". Lasted 3 hours. So I don't believe that you have not done anything wrong before. And if you indeed haven't, then I don't believe that this is solely what triggered a permaban.
    I will tell you guys a little story. 1 of those forum mods came too a wot forums and you get infactios for lets say linking a explenation of something ( i posted a link explaning 1 meme because some ppl didnt understand the UP joke) and he also trashes pretty much every fun tread topic. That tread was not good bla bla bla trashed.

And this mod is the only 1 giving me infactions---every1 else didnt do anything (and there are like 10 forum mods). There is even a hate tread every week because of him. We call him a freedom killer.
    Well i cant tell you a name tho because its naming and shaming.

Heck the guy locked even a anti bromy topic (pretty much another version of same topic but the other way araund).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    People get infracted on these forums for the same thing as what you did. So, was punishment justified? Yes. Was it perhaps a bit harsh? Maybe, but it's their forums and their rules.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Think of blizzard as the third Reich.