Cheapest GPU to run WoW

Hey I am building my friend a PC and I was wondering what would be the cheapest GPU that could run wow 30+ fps in 25m raids? The processor will be an i5-2500k OC'ed to 4.5GHz. Personally I was thinking about a gtx 640. Any other thoughts?

Deleted
    gtx 640/650 are multimedia cards.
    tbh just get a 660Ti and enjoy ultra settings and give that cpu what it deserves ^^.
    else a 7870 iirc.

Like I said, CHEAPEST. He does not want to spend all that money. Buying a 660 Ti when you only play WoW is a waste.

Cheapest GPU to run WoW on Ultra at 30+ FPS? Probably the 7850 or 650 Ti, might wanna bump it up to the 7870 or 660 just in case. Of course, if he's alright with Good or High, the 7770 isn't a terrible choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    Like I said, CHEAPEST. He does not want to spend all that money. Buying a 660 Ti when you only play WoW is a waste.
    why have such cpu and cheap out on the gpu?
    anyway check here for benchlist,http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforc...-32523-13.html.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    I was wondering that as well. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend $200 on a CPU and then ~$100 on a GPU, even for WoW... Should do more to meet in the middle in my opinion, maybe something like the 3470 and a 7850.

I never said it had to run on Ultra so I dont know where you got that from. Low-medium and maybe ground effects on high is fine(shadows turned all the way down also). I was thinking about the 2500k because raiding performance is mostly dictated by your CPU. The 7770 looks very good so I think I might go with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    I never said it had to run on Ultra so I dont know where you got that from. Low-medium and maybe ground effects on high is fine(shadows turned all the way down also). I was thinking about the 2500k because raiding performance is mostly dictated by your CPU. The 7770 looks very good so I think I might go with that.
    well with such standards you could have gone even for amd. (the balance between i5-2500k with heavy OC and then low gpu is just non excistent)
    also most people who ask for a gpu around here either state what settings they want to run , when not provided we assume based on other parts/wishes. (aka the 2500k with a 660Ti would make a excellent match for ultra)
    be more specific in wishes to avoid bad suggestions else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    anyway check here for benchlist,http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforc...-32523-13.html.
    Those benchmarks are total bull. They taken in a 10 man raid? 25 man raid? open world? because I set my game on high settings and get more FPS then a 650GTX with a laptop i3/330m?

To the OP, anything will run wow. Even the integrated graphics will be enough to run WoW, especially if you are not looking to run on anything over fair.

The cheapest I'd get for strictly an MMO is the Radeon 7770 otherwise I'd get a 7850.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could theoretically run WoW without a GPU I think?

15+ Year Old Account
    - If your friend wants to save money and does not need ultra settings, the AMD A10-5800k (without a dedicated gpu) might be worth a look.

- If you are set on the 2500k, then a gpu in the $100 range is your best choice. I would not recommend the 640GT ($90), the HD7770 ($115) is significantly better: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/536?vs=612 (Up to 100% better depending on the game). The GTX 650 ($110) costs about the same as the 7770, but is slower in most games.

You don't want to go too low with the GPU. Until Cataclysm, gpu performance needs were very low, but MoP upped it quite a bit. I don't have actual ingame comparisons (as i quit wow shortly before MoP) but i played a little bit in the MoP Beta and even with my 7850, i dipped below 30fps in the open world.
    Last edited by Biernot; 2013-01-13 at 08:09 PM.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet