A quick CPU upgrade question for AMD pros

I have this motherboard:

http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NE/

It's kind of old but still great for what my parents need: some 3D design for my dad and general online work for my mom.

I currently have an Athlon X2 3800+ processor @ 2.0 GHz, but I'd like to upgrade it to the best under or around 100$ option available for this motherboard.

I kind of lost track of the AMD sockets and all their processor families in the past 6 years, so if anyone could help me out with a quick and snappy answer, I'd greatly appreciate it over researching AMD's evolution over the past half decade

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like the Phenom II X4 945 is the best thing it can support (with a BIOS update). The issue is that AM2 is hard to find these days. Even older AM3 ones are too.

To be clear, this board does not support ALL AM3 CPU's. It looks like just some select ones, according to the website and CPU support list.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113189

Personally, I think it's not worth getting, and you'd be better off saving another $75-100 and getting a new, updated mobo and CPU.

Thanks for the input! I just had a mini heart attack half an hour ago after I updated the BIOS to 1703 (the version before the 2 beta versions), and my computer would turn on then turn off after 5 seconds. Luckily for me, removing the battery and placing it in again fixed whatever the issue was, AND to top it off the BIOS actually got updated to 1703 too!

I'll still be looking for a replacement CPU and determining its benefits if any, since this is a really great computer for my parents, even with its current CPU. Just thought I'd get a little more oomph in there if possible, as a last ever upgrade for this platform.

I think as long as you're using DDR2 ram with really low speeds, you will not see a big enough difference between the two to actually justify spending 100$ on a CPU upgrade. If you buy the CPU now and buy a new MB and RAM in a while, I can see a reason behind it. If not, save the money for something better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Save your money for an AM3+ board and FX 4300/6300 and 8/16 gigs of PC3-12800/DDR1600, that's if you wanna stay AMD.Those old AM2 boards can be adapted for the newer AM3 chips with bios updates, but you are still running a DDR2 mem controller so any performance gain on the CPU is wasted. My old PC was an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ similar to yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    Save your money for an AM3+ board and FX 4300/6300 and 8/16 gigs of PC3-12800/DDR1600, that's if you wanna stay AMD.
    The system is for his parents, not for him. Those upgrades are nice, but a waste of money on the purpose.

I'd say either find one of those AM3 965's with the bios refresh, or dont bother upgrading at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The system is for his parents, not for him. Those upgrades are nice, but a waste of money on the purpose.

I'd say either find one of those AM3 965's with the bios refresh, or dont bother upgrading at all.
    Well if that's the case go FM1 and throw an A4 in it, can source board and cpu for like under $60 together usually
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?