Poll: Do you like Win8

Thread: Windows 8

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Windows 8

I would like to know what you guys think about win 8, I just made a new PC and decided to use windows 8 instead of 7. I must admit i wasn't a big fan of 8, my brother runs it and it looked a bit annoying switching between the tiled screen and the desktop but 8 is the future so what the h. I run 3 27in monitors and i must say i like it! 2 monitors are always on the desktop or game and only 1 goes to tile. I know with 1 monitor i wouldn't like it but with 2 or 3 it seams really good =)

TLR What do you think of win 8 and plz tell me if u actually have it or just used it at a friends place or something!
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

Deleted
    yes, got it on my laptop.
    for desktop if i'd take it, would be with the shell option likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got it on my desktop.

Running 5 monitoors, works flawlessly once you set it up
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Win8 really isn't as bad as I've seen some folks make it out to be, though for desktops/laptops without a touch screen it honestly doesn't bring much new to the table, other than the Microsoft app store. At the same time, almost all of my software runs just as well as it did in Win7, so it's not like I really lost anything either.

I've been using it almost since release day on my dual monitor primary PC. The new interface took a little getting used to, but works fine. I'm not bothered by the removal of the Start button, but I won't be surprised if they add it back in Service Pack 1 now that they replaced the head of the Windows department at Microsoft. I will admit that because of the changes in the UI I'm a little hesitant to upgrade my parents computers any time soon, though I'm sure they could get used to it.

I've also used Win8 on a Samsung tablet PC, and will say that it's pretty awesome. The touch controls work really well (it's night and day compared to Win7 on a tablet), and as long as it's Win8 Pro (not Windows RT) you can run all your legacy Windows apps too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used it, and have have also seen a number of people say its good or bad.

Con - Most people modify it to remove the whole Win8 aspect, so it looks and acts like Win7. This to me is an implementation fault.
    Con - If you don't modify it, and you've used windows... well EVER. It will be confusing. It took me 3 minutes to figure out where the shut down button was. (Click name, log out, try to log back in, there's the power button). It will be frustrating too. I'm glad I only had to test it for a week before saying 'screw this'

Neutral - Runs as good as Win7. So that's not really a Pro or Con
    Neutral - Good for touchscreen, but touchscreen is useless for Desktops and Laptops. So, I mean. I guess it doesn't manufacture anthrax.

Pro - Umm.. It.. It runs as good as Win7? I guess?

I haven't found any good reason to upgrade to Win8, outside of being forced to use it on a pre-built system/laptop that comes with it.

It's vastly superior under the hood compared to 7. Download one of the bazillion start menu programs that also disable metro and enjoy a better performing OS.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I wouldn't bother with a start menu replacement tool, since the start menu was useless and defunct to begin with. Modern UI is less bad, but I won't really bother with it anyway.
    I would get a better search function though. That and the removal of Aero are my two complaints about the operating system. Without having tried dual booting that is; I heard that is more difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Con - If you don't modify it, and you've used windows... well EVER. It will be confusing. It took me 3 minutes to figure out where the shut down button was. (Click name, log out, try to log back in, there's the power button). It will be frustrating too. I'm glad I only had to test it for a week before saying 'screw this'
    Considering that there are at least ten ways to shut down with, I can't imagine why this one is giving people so much grief. It works exactly like in Windows 7, but with more options. Alt+F4, select shut down. Done.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-01-13 at 09:37 PM.

The start menu was always easier than opening explorer, command prompt or having a buttload of icons on your desktop.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The start menu was always easier than opening explorer, command prompt or having a buttload of icons on your desktop.
    Easier? Not really. Opening explorer is both faster smoother and better organised. Win+E, two clicks of enter and there you usually are.
    For every commonly used tasks, there's the task bar and anchoring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got Windows 8 and had been working with it since beta CP or whatever you wish to call it. It works well and overall is a nicer OS just to a simple fact it does use less system resources to run. With Windows 8 and software like Media Player Classic x64 and FFDSHOW DXVA x64 I was able to get my netbook (An Asus EEE 1015B) to play 1080p video with no problem.

After initially hating on 8, I spent a few minutes playing with a demo at Best Buy. Found out, I totally love the new OS. It keeps my short attention span engaged with flicking through windows and whatnot. I plan on converting my desktop to Win8 soon.

I still hate the metro tiles on the XboX though..

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Easier? Not really. Opening explorer is both faster smoother and better organised. Win+E, two clicks of enter and there you usually are.
    For every commonly used tasks, there's the task bar and anchoring.
    That's 4 key presses over 2 hands, then having to navigate directories.

Start menu requires 2 clicks on the same hand. Kinda obvious which one is more efficient.

Frequently used stuff is obviously going to be pinned regardless. Less frequently used apps are still accessed faster through the start menu.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 8 pro, i was very hesitant at first and somewhat upset about the metro ui, now i wont be going back to 7, im not using any start replacers either

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    I have 8 pro, i was very hesitant at first and somewhat upset about the metro ui, now i wont be going back to 7, im not using any start replacers either
    this has been my opinion aswell, I Kinda like metro now, as a replacement start menu.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never even tried it, perhaps I will at some point.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Love Windows 8. Everything's working perfectly well and it's fast. Apps are also very cool.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Tried it and I kinda like it but I'm in know rush as I got Win 7 Ultimate through my school and I'll go to 8 once the first service pack is out.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Love Windows 8. Everything's working perfectly well and it's fast. Apps are also very cool.
    Question is...

Did they bring back Pinball?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Question is...

Did they bring back Pinball?
    yes

and its better

also, minesweeper has an adventure mode

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:43 PM ----------

Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-01-14 at 05:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes

and its better

also, minesweeper has an adventure mode

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:43 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brKL28vAu1w
    I have tried that pinball and while its better graphics wise it has way too much dlc.