[Boomkin] How much crit can we have before we hit dr?

How much crit can we have before we hit dr for boomkin? Just wondering because i am near 10000 and am a little afraid i will soon hit it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mythiix View Post
    How much crit can we have before we hit dr for boomkin? Just wondering because i am near 10000 and am a little afraid i will soon hit it.
    You've managed to hit the haste breakpoint and have 10,000 crit? We don't have a crit cap this expansion.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mythiix View Post
    Crit and Haste always suffer from DR. As you get more and more, each additional point of each stat will grant you less and less DPS when compared to Intellect/Spell Power. Barring any mechanic changes, this should (I'm guessing here) be the only tier we use Smooth gems.

This DR mechanic would be so small in terms of literally 1 point (actually probably non existent with rounding) that spreadsheets wouldn't even pick it up. But it's worth looking into next tier.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-01-13 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    You've managed to hit the haste breakpoint and have 10,000 crit? We don't have a crit cap this expansion.
    Im currently at 9700 crit and 4749 haste after a few more pieces drop for me i will be over 10,000 crit i believe. If you were talking about the 8089 breakpoint then no i havent reached that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    We don't have a crit cap this expansion.
    aside from what stommped mentioned there comes a point where you cant reasonably keep up with starsurge procs while doing your rotation. crit certainly does cap in terms of effective dps...

lets say you've got 40% crit on a "dot all the things" fight - not an unbelievable scenario next tier - because starsurge doesn't reset its CD until the spell hits the target you're going to lose a lot of procs. since starsurge procs are our main reason for stacking crit, it becomes a wasted stat. at that point it would be better to regem for potent or even straight int gems.

im at 9.4k crit and get starsurge procs on the reg. once i start easily running over 10k i plan to pick up some extra int since there are already some occasions (windlord, shek'zeer, will of the emperor) where i don't always have the GCDs for good dot uptime without missing starsurge procs.

just another example of why you shouldn't put all your stock in spreadsheets
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-01-14 at 12:36 AM.

I think a better question is, at how much crit does the stat become worse than Int to gem?

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    aside from what stommped mentioned there comes a point where you cant reasonably keep up with starsurge procs while doing your rotation. crit certainly does cap in terms of effective dps...

lets say you've got 40% crit on a "dot all the things" fight - not an unbelievable scenario next tier - because starsurge doesn't reset its CD until the spell hits the target you're going to lose a lot of procs. since starsurge procs are our main reason for stacking crit, it becomes a wasted stat. at that point it would be better to regem for potent or even straight int gems.

im at 9.4k crit and get starsurge procs on the reg. once i start easily running over 10k i plan to pick up some extra int since there are already some occasions (windlord, shek'zeer, will of the emperor) where i don't always have the GCDs for good dot uptime without missing starsurge procs.

just another example of why you shouldn't put all your stock in spreadsheets
    Starsurge procs are capped at 30% of all ticks. You cannot get so high that you will never be able to use them all unless you're on a multi-dot fight.

That aside, the part stommped mentioned is only a 50% loss of effectiveness when comparing 0% crit to 100% crit. At any realistic level it's to small to make a significant difference.
    The same applies to haste, but only haste from the same source.

What's more important is that having more crit(and haste, mastery) makes spellpower more effective and thereby increases the value of int.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    What's more important is that having more crit(and haste, mastery) makes spellpower more effective and thereby increases the value of int.
    Right but at what point does that happen?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnudge View Post
    Right but at what point does that happen?
    It's pretty gear dependent, load your gear situation into WrathCalcs (you can autoimport) and find out where you're at.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Few weeks ago i managed to get 4th set for my balance, now after reading many topics i cant decide what or if i need to respec.

So can someone please look at my Armory and say what he/she thinks?

Also I know that im under hitcap for like 0.09% but i never miss ( so far ) so i would keep it like that And i would also like to know what Sha weapon is best for us, mace or staff?

Thanks.