10+ Year Old Account

WoW Life after Real World Death

As Posted on the official Forums:

Hello.

In 2007 I decided that in the event of my death--be it tomorrow, next year or 30 years from now--I don't want my WoW Accounts to die with me. So, I'm wondering if perhaps a provision could be added so that when someone expires or knows that their time to live is short (or something similar) they could legally transfer ownership their WoW/B.Net Account and License(s) to someone else. A sort of Digital Will, if you will (no pun intended).

For example let's say I have a friend who'd like to play WoW/StarCraft II/Diablo III (all ofwhich I play) and knowing I won't be around to play with them, I want to transfer ownership of the licenses to them. In this way the accounts live on and in the case of WoW the burden of maintaining the subscription is transferred to them.

Another example I'll use: Let's say I play with a family member who just started playing WoW with me but I die suddenly. Before I died I designated them as "inheriting" my account should I die. All of my licenses are then transferred to their account and like in the above example, the burden of maintaining the subscription is transferred to them.

Now let's go over how this could be carried out by both Blizzard and the inheritant:

- New and Existing Account Owners would be given the choice of opting in or out of designating someone as being granted ownership of your account and licenses in the event of your death. Should they opt in, the account holder must submit a letter or legal document signed by the existing account holder, the inheritor and one or two witnesses or an attorney to Blizzard either physically or digitally before it becomes legally binding.

- When the account holder dies, the inheritor and the attorney who signed the contract should contact Blizzard in a timely manner to inform them of the death and bein license transferral.

- Immediate family members (parents, spouse, children, etc.) designated to inherit the account will have ownership transferred free of charge weather they have a B.net account or not. Anyone outside that group including friends, etc. must pay a transfer fee depending on weather or not the recipient has a B.net account.

- If the recipient (excluding immediate family) has a B.net account they must pay a surcharge depending on what games and/or expansions they own already:

A: WoW: $5 Plus an additional $15 to upgrade the account to the most current expansion ($20 total) and 30 days added to the WoW License per license that can only be added to the inherited WoW license(s).

B: StarCraft II: $10 plus an additional $10 to upgrade the account to the most current expansion ($20 total) per license.

C. Diablo III: $15 plus an additonal $10 to upgrade the account to the most current expansion ($20 total) per license. In additon records associated with the RMAH are deleted.

To make sense of the above, let's look at my own account. I have two WoW accounts upgraded to MoP (both active right now), a third WoW account upgraded to WotLK (currently inactive), a StarCraft II Account (getting HotS too WOOT) and a D3 License thanks to the Annual Pass. If someone outside my family were to inherit my account today and wanted to play my four active accounts, they'd be paying $75. Add $20 and the cost of Cataclysm and MoP (We'll assume standard so that's $70) if they wanted to play my third WoW account and the total's $145.

Notice I left out one important detail: The WoW subscription. Weather they're family or not, if the account had game time left at the time ownership is transferred they inherit the remaining game time for that pay period. If the account is inactive when ownership is transferred, immediate family inheritors get 90 days free game time. Everyone else does not.

Regardless of which category the inheritor belongs to they will still need to set up a subscription plan.

Thoughts and Opinions Welcome.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Deleted
    You sure gave this alot of thought 0.0! Why don't you just give them the email / password before you die, and leave authenticator in your will? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    A system needs to be set up to prevent abuse/fraud. Hence my idea.

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Blizzard will transfer characters to a relative's account if someone passes away. When my friend/guildy passed away, his family was able to transfer his characters to his son's account. I think it took a long time and a lot of identity verification, but they did eventually do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea. I've wanted to do the same thing with my steam account. After all, when I die, even if its next year, I'll still have a lot of games on my steam that I don't want to just turn into dust. If I live another 40 years then imagine how many games will be on my steam. That'd be an awesome thing to be able to pass on. Same with a wow account that has been playing for 8 years.

It's a video game.....You're taking this way too seriously.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I read the title and I was like "What, you mean you want to be transferred into Azeroth to live there permanently after you die?" and was going to refer you to Caprica the TV show which has sort of the same premise... but this is far more feasible with current technology.

When I die, screw my family! Nobody's getting my characters. I'm dead and my toons will be too.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    This

/10char

Infracted: Minor Spam
    Please post constructively. "This" posts without further elaboration are not allowed. - ML
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-11 at 08:22 AM.

Deleted
    I'd never wan't anyone playing on my characters. They die with me.

Deleted
    Some people are actually passionate about the things they do.
    Just because it's only a game to you, does not mean other people see it the same way

On an unrelated note:
    Your post is probably the first on these forums in a long time to correctly use the words it's, you're and too in the same sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    A system needs to be set up to prevent abuse/fraud. Hence my idea.
    No lmao... I really don't think it does.

How much time did you spend on this exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea, it'd be a waste to just let the account sit there and collect dust. And even if it's "just a game" it would suck to know that something you spent YEARS with just lays there untouched with no one able to use it. Same would go for a steam account.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eLiTe_J_ View Post
    Ner'zhul is alive!

<SNIP>
    I would recommend deleting those unless you want an infraction.

OT: It would cause way to much abuse.
    How do you prove they died?
    How do they know you are leaving them the game?
    If you tell them they get it if you die, then why not just right a letter for them with your passwords/usernames and they get it that way.

I foresee way to much corruption in this system for it to work properly. Sorry.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess people have done odder things for the sake of a hobby. Whatever puts your mind at ease.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    OT: It would cause way to much abuse.
    How do you prove they died?
    How do they know you are leaving them the game?
    If you tell them they get it if you die, then why not just right a letter for them with your passwords/usernames and they get it that way.

I foresee way to much corruption in this system for it to work properly. Sorry.
    Some kind of death certificate?
    Just tell them/leave a note
    Is that legal? And if they're already playing a game on b.net it would be a hassle using another one.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I guess I'm okay with this nothing really negative about this.

Deleted
    Do we really want to give people an incentive to actually murder eachother over a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the result of time spent, after one's time is up.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    It's the result of time spent, after one's time is up.
    This sums up the reason for my idea more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post

On an unrelated note:
    Your post is probably the first on these forums in a long time to correctly use the words it's, you're and too in the same sentence
    I uh...work in a school with kids if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post

How much time did you spend on this exactly?
    About an hour, why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your point being? this is something that to him/her, means a lot, has an effect and is most probably something that brings this individual together with family and friends and is treated as something special, there's nothing wrong with it and I think it's a great idea that this person wants to be able to leave something unique behind so those that knew him/her can remember in a different way.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD