Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Recreating the Matrix with our technology.

We have incredibly realistic graphic engines and computers good enough to perform at their best.
    We can create digital world in a really large scale already.
    We can create quite convincing story lines.

We already have many mechanisms that move with movement sensors on our body but we are already working on lenses with nanotechnology able to work like a screen where we can interact with a "game", call it as you wish, a digital fantasy just as an MMO would be.
    That basically means that soon enough we'll be able to play games without moving a finger as we already have such technology.

Soon enough we might be able to reproduce the taste, odor and maybe the touch of things in a digital world, combined with the incredible graphics it would feel like we definitely are there.

Combine all and put it on a person. That person would be in a comfortable bed connected to any kind of serum (such as hospital connections with people in coma) and we might be able to "live a virtual life". To make it happen we would probably need some kind of "weed", something that could alter our state of focus, our contact with reality in order to allow us to create an immersion in what we see as the real thing, in order to lose awareness of what it really is (a simulation).

We could literally live a life in other "dimension" while our body rests. However, it would probably be kinda hard to make it last for too long, as I said already (imo), we would need to keep that person in a constant state of "unconsciously aware" with reality, you could call it a "brain hack" I guess.

For sure we'll reach such point, our technology is advancing and someone with power to do it is probably thinking about it too. Would you support doing it? Besides it takes a bit of human experimentation, I've always been pro human experimentation when it comes down to this kind of things, screw all the "human rights, ethics and moral", that's a bunch of lies and doesn't count when it comes down to economics, so why should that stop us when it's about technology and exploration?

What's your opinion? would you like to "create" such "matrix" ?

It's not about taking us into a game, is about taking us into a virtual life, something like a dream but instead using technology to create the fantasy instead of letting our brain do it all.
    Last edited by shise; 2013-01-15 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    We have incredibly realistic graphic engines
    That's a no. Sure they might be much more impressive than what we had 15 years ago but nowhere near realistic

We can create digital world in a really large scale already
    Again large in comparision to what we could do in the past but still very very far away from reality.

There's no way we could create a virtual reality at the scope of the entire earth (or even a single city) with the technology we have.

Are you kidding? We already have. And even better, a voluntary one. We have people who spend more time in a virtual MMORPG world than reality, and only maintain reality so they can continue that virtual world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    That's a no. Sure they might be much more impressive than what we had 15 years ago but nowhere near realistic

Not realistic enough? more GT 5...

Gt5 is already "old". Anod now some from FSX, even older

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    There's no way we could create a virtual reality at the scope of the entire earth (or even a single city) with the technology we have.
    There's no need to create such big place, is not like we can see more than a city at the same time anyways, so sure we can do that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 10:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Are you kidding? We already have. And even better, a voluntary one. We have people who spend more time in a virtual MMORPG world than reality, and only maintain reality so they can continue that virtual world.
    I got lost there, what kind of pony weeds are you into =O? Please, let me know more about what you mean

Deleted
    I got lost there, what kind of pony weeds are you into =O? Please, let me know more about what you mean
    I liked that part aswell.
    OP, how do you know we aren't living in a digital simulation? After all our consiousness is imprisoned by our brain, and our brain can be tricked pretty easy.

So creating a virtual world inside a virtual world, wouldn't that crash the universe?

15+ Year Old Account
    snip
    Congratulations, you can post tech demos that still don't look real.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Image quality is stunning, but not even near the real world. Light-years away i'd say.

No. Until someone solves the Navier-Stokes existence and smoothness problems, we won't have an adequate theory of fluid dynamics. With such a ridiculously poor understanding of how fluid motion works, there's no way we can perfectly simulate wind and water like the Matrix does (at this point in time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

As I understood it, in the movies the matrix wasn't simulated with graphics or anything. It just run the code, and that requires far less computer power.
    If you entered the matrix, you would become code that could interprert the code as "reality".

And besides: Who's to say we aren't in a "Matrix" right now? If the Matrix is indistinguishable from reality, how can we know the difference?
    If we created a Matrix, would the people in it regard it as reality the same way we regard out universe?

Deleted
    Not even remotely close. Models in games are generally hollow, saves on usage on things you would never normally see. The matrix would need to remember everything to an atomic level, just not going to happen, for a loong looooong time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    huh, demos? That's how they actually are/look when you play them. Sometimes I don't get why people make a reply like you just did... makes no sense.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Image quality is stunning, but not even near the real world. Light-years away i'd say.
    You don't understand it people.

Please, read again. If you are put into some kind of "coma" to get yourself into a simulation, that means that you'll have even better "graphics" than when you are dreaming, where you simply have no details nor surrounds. Yet, we are able to be in a state of "subconsciousness" in a dream and actually believe it for a small part of time. So just think about it all over again for not as a dream, for real, with technology and using substances that would put your awareness off for a time.

Graphics do not matter that much... and again, we can create such graphics if we want.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 01:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Not even remotely close. Models in games are generally hollow, saves on usage on things you would never normally see. The matrix would need to remember everything to an atomic level, just not going to happen, for a loong looooong time.

It's not about taking us into a game, is about taking us into a virtual life, something like a dream but instead using technology to create the fantasy instead of letting our brain do it all. Please, leave the game graphics apart...