Prime95 Failed During Stress Test

Making a new thread as suggested.

I ran Prime95 overnight and came back to it this morning to see that the application stopped working ~4 hrs in. No blue screen, no computer restart, no failed anything -- just what you can see in the attached screenshot. Is this likely to be a problem with my overclock or something else? *So far* today everything has been fine playing BF3 and WoW with no crashes or anything.

Thanks, guys!

http://i.imgur.com/enitv.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    well if it stopped working then your computer isn't truly stable, sometimes an instability can lead to a program not working, other times it can fry hardware, although, the latter is extremely rare anymore, your computer is more likely to get struck by lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    well if it stopped working then your computer isn't truly stable, sometimes an instability can lead to a program not working, other times it can fry hardware, although, the latter is extremely rare anymore, your computer is more likely to get struck by lightning
    Hmm I suppose I could bump up the vcore a dash and let it run over night again

Deleted
    Either a bug in Prime95 or I think the more likely cause is unstable hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can probably get away with just upping the Vcore a notch or 2 tops. As long as temps are still good you should be ok. I know on the Overclockers Forums, a lot of guys are ok with it running for 2 hours and calling it stable. I think thats all depending on you though. I personally hate leaving it running if I'm not around to keep an eye on it just in case and fall within about 3 hours and its good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'd probably roll with that being a memory issue, but it certainly could be the CPU. If you're running your memory above it's normal clocks or voltage, that's probably the issue, so setting it back to it's normal settings would be a good place to start (again, that's only if you're running it outside of spec). If it's just the CPU you've overclocked, then I'd agree with your suggestion to up VCore a little.
    Memory is at stock speed and voltage. I upped the vcore a little last night and left it running again. Same issue at around the 4 hour mark again

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nevermind, looked at SS again.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-01-14 at 09:09 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Processor? LLC? Voltage?
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Hmm FFT length of 1120K -> blend mode? Yep.. I assume this is a K version of any i5 (according to 6MB L3 cache) with only the multiplier been changed? Just make sure your ram is running at stock speed, overclock on ram isn't worth it.

Tweak your LLC so you don't have a huge vcore drop. Your vcore is probably under load lower than which been set in the bios? For asus boards use ultra high as llc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Processor? LLC? Voltage?
    Intel Core i5-2500K, auto, and 1.35.

RAM is G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB, all at stock - DDR3 1600 and 1.25V.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhuki View Post
    Intel Core i5-2500K, auto, and 1.35.

RAM is G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB, all at stock - DDR3 1600 and 1.25V.
    WOW that is some seriously good voltage for 1600MHz. I bet that would pull some pro clocks if OC'd with 1.5v! O_O
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Try either increasing LLC or voltage.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    There's no point increasing LLC is there isn't vdrop/vdroop. This llc just takes care of having a 1:1 vcore ratio from in OS & load : bios. E.g. I set 1.1V in bios and I have at idle/load 1.1V in cpu-z.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I'll try increasing to to Ultra High as suggested and let it run again. Thanks for the help, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    There's no point increasing LLC is there isn't vdrop/vdroop. This llc just takes care of having a 1:1 vcore ratio from in OS & load : bios. E.g. I set 1.1V in bios and I have at idle/load 1.1V in cpu-z.
    And how do you know OP isn't experiencing this? Most Sandy/Ivy bridge experience vdroop when overclocked.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450