View Poll Results: Why Do You Think European Countries Generally Dislike Immigrants?

Voters
292. This poll is closed
  • I don't think they generally dislike immigrants.

76 26.03%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to their crime rates.

59 20.21%
  • Public perception of immigrants is negative due to culture

40 13.70%
  • Public perception of immigrants is due to their lack of assimilation.

89 30.48%
  • Other

28 9.59%
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Uhm...

they don't dislike immigrants. Have you ever been to Texas/California/Arizona/New Mexico? I've been to every one of them except for N.M.
    Yes, because Texas/Arizona/New Mexico definitely are not filled with racists. Definitely. There is too much irony to be had. Europe probably doesn't like immigrants because a lot of people left Europe to go to other places. I seem to remember some country being founded by immigrants almost entirely. It began with a U. I can't remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    OP: I don't think "European countries" generally dislike immigrants. Not more than the US. You can point at all the neo-Nazis you'd like, there's an equal amount of analogous cases in the US. There will always be dummies and you're just focusing on them instead of the huge majority of Europeans that have absolutely nothing against immigrants that bother to live a proper life.
    Overall, though, immigrants are far more welcome/liked within the United States than they are in Europe, though.

You want to know why Europe dislikes immigrants? Take every reason why the southern border states in the USA dislike immigrants, and transplant them. You could literally map every single reason to Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You want to know why Europe dislikes immigrants? Take every reason why the southern border states in the USA dislike immigrants, and transplant them. You could literally map every single reason to Europe.
    ...that's based on the fallacious premise that southern border states in the USA dislike immigrants, which is obviously false as per my observations living here.

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    I don't know exact statistics but I'll give couple of rough examples of why europeans might not like immigrants.
    In germany in 20-30 years there won't be any more 'purebred' germans being born, they'll all be either 'pure' immigrant or mix of different people, and in London this year for the first time in history there were less pure Londoners than new and old immigrants. Those two examples alone show why some countries might not be so fond of immigrants because let's face it, everyone wants to preserve it's own heritage and who would want to see their country in 50 years being completely changed people wise. I believe if african countries were any richer and poor people from other places of earth tried to immigrant there to live they wouldn't be too fond of them themselves.
    This does not make sense in regards of assimilation. If even a well assimilated immigrant would be still considered as an outsider due to their origin, how is it ever going to work? For all purposes that immigrant would have embraced the culture and if I have to imply have found a spouse/partner from the country they have migrated to.

Because immigrants live in closed, highly criminalized hierarchical communities, regard the country they live in as the target of their crimes, and hate and even despise their hosts effectively being undeveloped savages?

Deleted
    Did we build a wall at our border to keep immigrants away ? Or did you ?

You can't base a whole immigrant situation on your own opinion and what you see, or have you 5 million eyes over thousands of km² ?

We don't have hate parades against immigrants like you have. Neither show Neo Nazi's up on popular places and practice hate speech.

We do have people who dislike them, but the big part of europeans don't care, like every big part in the world.

Deleted
    That seems to be an overly cynical view of things in my opinion. Immigrants get along with non-immigrants perfectly fine in countries like the United States and Canada, so why not in Europe? That's what I'm wondering.
    They get along in Europe too. The media just focusses on the negative stuff.

For my own part there are certain types of immigrants I don´t care to much for..

1. The open European borders mean that Polaks (poles?) and romanian gypsy thieving gangs roam free and bring a kind of violent crime not really seen before in western Europe.

2. Welfare immigrants who have no desire to work at all and are all about cheating the system for more money (huge strain on the economy)

3. Islamists wanting Sharia law

4. People who don´t learn the language and try to integrate themselves in society. this for the main part, in Denmark at least is Muslims.

Also in Denmark and Europe in general politicians are bending over backwards for muslims and all the special priveleges they want.

I don´t really care about your color or your religion. If you come to my country and respect our culture and way of life, I will respect you right back.

...that's based on the fallacious premise that southern border states in the USA dislike immigrants, which is obviously false as per my observations living here.
    Legislation in border states disagrees with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legislation in border states disagrees with you.
    Illegal immigrants are not the topic of the OP and disliking them is not an illegitimate stance. I am talking about legal immigrants only.

If someone wants to move to my country and is willing to learn the language, laws and history, integrate into society and not segregate themselves from their host society by sticking in groups of other immigrants and actually have skills necessary for our economy then sure, let them in.

The problem with the EU is that unmitigated immigration is bad. We have thousands of unskilled Poles in the UK. We can expect more, tens most likely hundreds of thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians in 2014... They will soak up the unskilled and entry-level work and deprive British citizens leaving school of those positions.

So yeah, basically if you can't contribute to the country you're going to, you shouldn't be allowed in.

So, roughly 80-90% racism and xenophobia? That'd be my inclination for both American border states and Europe.

Of course, most Americans and Europeans don't really have a big problem with immigration, I'm just referring to people that do.

Illegal immigrants are not the topic of the OP and disliking them is not an illegitimate stance. I am talking about legal immigrants only.
    Such legislation becomes relevant when it adversely effects legals simply due to their complexion.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 09:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, roughly 80-90% racism and xenophobia? That'd be my inclination for both American border states and Europe.

Of course, most Americans and Europeans don't really have a big problem with immigration, I'm just referring to people that do.
    I don't know about 80-90%, but I'd agree it's the major contributing factor. People let a few bad apples form stereotypes.

So, roughly 80-90% racism and xenophobia? That'd be my inclination for both American border states and Europe..
    So you will just ignore the 13 pages so far and start calling people bigots again? Classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    So you will just ignore the 13 pages so far and start calling people bigots again? Classy.
    Yes, I'm happy to ignore transparent rationalization that doesn't stand to scrutiny. Your pearl clutching is noted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Many young immigrants misbehave and it's easy to see it if you look at the right areas in which most of the immigrants have been put.
    Segregation is probably the root cause for immigration related issues. When you put people of a certain background into a specific area, it enables them to get by without learning the language and then they don't integrate into the society. As a result the cultures don't mesh, they clash.

Loaded question is....loaded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Overall, though, immigrants are far more welcome/liked within the United States than they are in Europe, though.
    I disagree. The entire point of the European Union is the movement of peoples among other things. Every single EU country is packed with immigrants from other EU countries. As for Arabian and Eastern European immigrants... they're equally unwanted by the right side of the political spectrum as your immigrants are unwanted by your right of the political spectrum in the US and they're equally tolerated by the left as are your immigrants are tolerated by your left.

There is no anti-immigrant sentiment other than the political movement to tighten up immigrant control, which is something that the US excels at. Your immigrants are cherry picked beyond belief to be properly educated and qualified people. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Europe is simply trying to get there, and you're mistaking wanting tighter immigrant control with lack of tolerance of immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    So yeah, basically if you can't contribute to the country you're going to, you shouldn't be allowed in.
    Argument could be made that we are no more entitled to our western wealth than they are. The mere fact that we were born here and they were born elsewhere doesn't mean we deserve more.

Yes, I'm happy to ignore transparent rationalization that doesn't stand to scrutiny. Your pearl clutching is noted though.
    You would say that. So the economical strain and the experiences with hateful immigrants are imaginary?