6637 haste and ~6800 mastery vs 4717 haste and 8K mastery?

As the title says, I have done some simcrafting with two different reforges for haste thresholds. I have heard alot that keeping mastery and haste close together results in higher dps. 10 min fight patchwerk with the following mob numbers gives me these results:

1 - 6637 haste is 500 dps higher
    2 - 6637 haste is 700 dps higher
    3 - 6637 haste is 900 dps higher
    4 - 6637 haste is ~4.5k dps higher zomg
    7 - 6637 haste is ~12k dps higher whoahz

Now, normally I would just go with my 6637 haste and 6800 mastery and that is it.

HOWEVER, I have had so many differing opinions about this, people saying not to use simcraft, etc. that I have started to second-guess myself.

Thoughts?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aster/advanced - armory
    CompTIA A+ Computer technician, 7 years and counting...

Retired WoW Heroic Raider, currently playing DOTA 2 competitively.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...es-for-gearing should really primarily cover what you're interested in, and is the best location for discussing WHY you come to the conclusions you come to.

My personal inclination is that haste is severely undervalued in many situations, before considering that you may AoE without reforging. My in-game results very closely mirror what SimC has been telling me, and I've seen increases in DPS up to ~7200 haste, ignoring the caps. It's not huge for single target, and falls well within variance, but without really concrete math or reasoning opposing it, I'm not given a good reason to think it's wrong either. See posts in the linked thread for why.

*multi-dotting without SoC spam is the exception to this thought process and should* strongly support haste caps and heavy mastery builds. Check SimC's APL for the multiple targets and play with it for a realistic scenario of how you might play to come to conclusions
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-01-14 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadocaster View Post
    Thoughts?
    actions+=/run_action_list,name=aoe,if=active_enemies>3

actions.aoe=summon_doomguard,if=active_enemies<7
    actions.aoe+=/summon_infernal,if=active_enemies>=7
    actions.aoe+=/soulburn,cycle_targets=1,if=buff.soulburn.down&!dot.soulburn_seed_of_corruption.ticking&!a ction.soulburn_seed_of_corruption.in_flight_to_target&shard_react
    actions.aoe+=/soul_swap,if=buff.soulburn.up&!dot.agony.ticking&!dot.corruption.ticking
    actions.aoe+=/soul_swap,cycle_targets=1,if=buff.soulburn.up&dot.corruption.ticking&!dot.agony.ticking
    actions.aoe+=/seed_of_corruption,cycle_targets=1,if=(buff.soulburn.down&!in_flight_to_target&!ticking)|( buff.soulburn.up&!dot.soulburn_seed_of_corruption.ticking&!action.soulburn_seed_of_corrupt ion.in_flight_to_target)
    actions.aoe+=/haunt,cycle_targets=1,if=!in_flight_to_target&debuff.haunt.remains<cast_time+travel_time&s hard_react
    actions.aoe+=/life_tap,if=mana.pct<70
    actions.aoe+=/fel_flame,cycle_targets=1,if=!in_flight_to_target

Mastery: Potent Afflictions
    Requires Warlock (Affliction)
    Requires level 80
    Increases the damage of Agony, Corruption and Unstable Affliction.

Deleted
    when do u go after 6637?

6637 is the hard cap this tier I believe. Not really anywhere to go from there. Unless you were on windlord then I would reforge more haste for SoC spam.

Deleted
    personally, i would go with the 6637 haste/6800 mastery option but that is mainly due to general idea of trying to keep haste and mastery fairly close to eachother, and that option certainly suit that idea perfectly well.

6637 haste breakpoint/threshold is not a hardcap~kushlol
    Last edited by kushlol; 2013-01-17 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PutressFIRST View Post
    6637 is the hard cap this tier I believe. Not really anywhere to go from there. Unless you were on windlord then I would reforge more haste for SoC spam.
    There is no hard cap for haste for affliction.

i currently have my haste at 6897 and my mastery at 7041.. about even, but i do not notice my dots hitting any harder with more mastery lol is it just me?

Deleted
    I used 9778 haste breakpoint at some point during progress, but now I'm goofing around with 6637. Probably will go again for full haste for the lulz because everything has been in farm so long now and raids are boring :P

Deleted
    That's the realistic haste threshold this tier. It is NOT what a hardcap means.

Most things indicate haste and mastery scaling in synergy with one another, more haste after the breakpoint is still beneficial.

Deleted
    DoT classes have no true hardcap. in fact, the only kinda hardcap you could possibly have is when every single cast or channeled spell reaches the 1 second global CD limit. this means that you can cast 1 malefic grasp in 1 second. since malefic grasp is normally a 4 second channel, that means 300% haste. you cannot reach that amount of haste, EVER. it would require current haste ratings with WotLK style haste calculation.

edit: and even after that, you would still get extra DPS from extra haste, because your dots would still scale with haste.

Deleted
    One thing i was wondering, didn't find the answer in other topics but might have been asked before:
    When you try to balance mastery/haste do you count the mastery buff in, or do you balance unbuffed values?

unbuffed also

Deleted
    Ok thanks guys

Deleted
    but when do u go for 6637 ? HC gear or itemlevel?

i'm currently at 5k haste (haste is on every fucking item -.- ^^) and around 7k mastery
    while a friend of mine is at 7k haste 6k mastery

if you take out the fact that he got the 4t bonus we do the same dps give or take a few points.
    the second i get 4t bouns ill go to 6637 haste but till lei shit dies and amberlol finaly drops warlock token trousers (or sha for that matter) 5.2 will be out probably^^

I find that the difference between the two reforges are that one(4k plateau) is more suited for constant sustained damage ( fights like fend, stone guard, tsulong ). and the other (6k plateau) is more beneficial for fights when you cant dps the boss at times or are targeting swaping as well for execute phase. (elegon, lei she, spirit kings heroic). Myself I run with the higher haste build and the other warlock in my guild runs the lower, we literally pull within a million damage of each and within 1k dps on most fights considering we dont fuck up lol.