Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    GW2 and Aion are pretty games and have cute characters. Aion's VERY grindy though.

SWTOR sucks unless she's into science fiction type stuff.

World of Warcraft is great but please for the love of god, do NOT do RAF with her. She won't learn the game, will blow past content, and not enjoy it. Trust me on this as someone who witnessed someone who was subjected to this. She gave up after she got to 80 because she didn't understand the game. You level up pretty fast anyway without RAF.

RIFT is nice as well if she's into realistic looking MMOs.

Other than that, other MMOs are pretty bad and she won't enjoy herself.

Rainlights - 120 Blood Elf Monk (US-Illidan Horde)

Deleted
    Tera goes free to play next month as some have said already..

I'll be getting it again

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say WoW or Rift.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    if she's more into adventure, i would say GW2 by far !! and.. its free And it have that AC feeling imo

btw, you should make a poll will be more easy to track it
    Last edited by xindykawai; 2013-01-14 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Getreuer View Post
    I'm so gonna try Tera, but I'm very skeptical if it is too japanese.. you know..
    That shouldn't be a concern, since Tera is a Korean game.

I am psyched to play Tera again with the F2P model, HOWEVER, the launcher is having some major issues right now and people aren't able to log in. Supposedly this is a result of the F2P announcement and lots of people trying to download the game at once. My response to that is this, a) your supposedly AAA once sub-based MMO should have a launcher which can handle traffic, and b) they shouldn't be using the "heavy traffic" excuse considering the game has been out for months and launched with a sub fee (a sub model MMO should have this kind of thing nailed down, it launched in May I believe).

They have a great F2P model, yet people can't download the game. They are "working on it" and have up all these temporary back door fixes that they want people to try. Even the F2P model will flop if they don't address this issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id stick with either GW2 or WoW. Looking at more of whether a new, female, player is going to like the game I think you need to stick with what is generally really popular for the social aspect. To be perfectly honest, I think WoW is what you should really go with for her sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vinicent View Post
    My girlfriend is had to move away for her job for a while so she has nothing to do at night. She isn't into video games, but has played fable and assassins creed. However she does love adventures, so she decided that she would like to try playing an adventure mmo with me so we could talk and explore together while she is gone.

She wants a game medieval fantasy style like fable or skyrim and prefers it to be free

I was wondering what you guys would suggest?

-we tried raiderz, but without buying a mouse with buttons on it, it is to hard to play. ( I usually keybind every ability/spell)

My favorite mmo's I have played are:
    WoW
    SWTOR
    runescape (just for the old school pking since you could take all of the gear they had with them)

I haven't really tried any other mmo's except for dabbling with: (I don't know much about these games.)
    Age of Conan
    Guild wars 1
    LoTR online

The game must have solid pvp in it!
    WoW is probably the best one. You can do the recruit a friend with her to get her caught up with you quickly. There is plenty of time to learn the class she chooses from 80-90. Although people out there say WoW pvp is "imbalanced". It really isn't that bad. But the REF will help her out more then what other games have to offer to get caught up to a decent level.

If you're both up for dropping some cash to purchase the game, I'd say GW2. It's a solid game that's beyond friendly for casual players and people who want to do some exploring. I played through much of it with a friend and his GF (third wheel ftw) and it was good fun. PvP is great too, both BG's and the WvW.

For a pure F2P game, I can't think of any that would fit that exact description, however some pretty good ones that might get close

AoC (it's improved dramatically since launch, and they just recently removed the class restrictions for F2P players, opened up all the 1-80 dungeons for F2P, and increased the currency cap). I've heard the PvP is good, but can't confirm.
    Tera if you don't mind the art style, it's got super fun combat and looks gorgeous. Not sure how the PvP is in it.
    Beyond that, I don't really think there are going to be many solid F2P games that have some exploration and good PvP. At least none I can think of (you covered off RaiderZ which was the other I would think of).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Whatever game you choose, try to stay away from majorly guild / raid / level cap based endgame content or you will not be able to avoid the situation where one part of a couple is taken for a raid and the other is not, which could severely hurt your relationship when it happens over a prolonged peroid of time. If you pick stuff like WoW or SWTOR this is bound to happen if you ask me.
    That is if you actually start raiding regulary without your significant one. Me and my bf always made sure we had safe raid spots in guilds we were in, and if they decided to split it up we both would just stop raiding, fortunately it never happened since we would always be taken we aren't too shabby pve players... guilds usually split up for other reasons. We always knew best option if you want to raid is to start your own guild, but we never had the time and energy and pvp was really our main game. Raiding overall perhaps isnt best kind of gameplay if you are a casual one... except perhaps LFR in wow these days... always there for you to join and I bet there is some kind of group join there as well?

OT, I would recommend GW2 to you, the op. It is fun game to play with someone

I would say Guild Wars 1. Though its old and kinda different, the world is massive and there is so much to explore. Guild Wars 2 is also a good choice.

The Secret World, is now FTP and is horror themed.

I'd say rift. You want PvP, so SWTor and WoW falls down. Rift PvP while leveling is kinda okay but far from perfect. There is no perfect PvP mmo sadly. GW2 PvP is very separated from the PvE part and also very skill demanding.

Rift is overall really undervalued sadly. Rift is solid and has tons of things which makes it better than other mainstream MMOs.

Tera will be F2P but it absolutely has no PvP till endgame (don't believe the "OPEN PVP SO COMMON"-stuff. It isn't there is no PvP till maxlevel).

I'd say go for Rift (or SWTor, if you don't mind having a huge handicap against people who have a higher level).

I recommend Guild Wars 2 as well, because;
    - You have already played WoW yourself. It's more fun of an adventure if the game is new for both of you. And also because you're familar with WoW yourself, you might end up just rushing through quests without realizing it, effectively reducing the experience for your girlfriend too.
    - Guild Wars 2 has built-in incentives to explore the game world, namely Vistas and Points of Interest, even if that wasn't your goal to begin with.
    - Guild Wars 2 is free, and the game world is beautiful, immersive, and massive. The questing system is very diffrent from that of WoW, so it'll be a pleasant change for you too. I really enjoyed leveling my character to level 80, and still log on every now and then to play on it.

Even with all that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with you two starting to play WoW, as it can be just as enjoyable too, and a better choice for long-term MMO-gaming if your girlfriend decides she likes MMOs after all. Just make sure you're not rushing through content and quests like you're used to when you're leveling an alt, but let her decide the pace.
    Last edited by Nesharil; 2013-01-14 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added more stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest Phantasy Star Online 2 upon it's US launch next month. Oh also consider Aion F2P and VERY pvp centric.

As for GW2 i CANNOT recommend it. Games classes are lackluster to say the least it's combat is insanely poor fir a supposed "Action mmo"(TERA and PS:O2 blow GW2 combat out of the water with a nuke) and the supposedly great leveling is just diaguised nornal questing. I have found more vaurety for quests/leveling in WoW and RIFT. Hell the only ganes it's more varied then might be hyper Korean ones

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of disinformation and disregard of the OP's initial setup.

Like many people have recommended, please look into playing Guild Wars 2. Since she is not a video gamer or MMO player, it's a great first MMO. Here's why:

1) Less abilities on your bar - Even more complicated classes, like the elementalist, have a very logical spell setup where whatever weapon you have dictates what you can do and keeps the amount of things you have to decide between small.

2) Visual style has a lot of similarities of Fable, especially the human cities. Overall the aesthetic is amazing.

3) You can customize your character's appearance well and can always update the colors of your clothing. Not being sexist, because both genders love looking cool, but girls definitely love being able to look however they want. My wife spends literally an hour creating a character in any MMO.

4) If you outlevel her, you can always return to her area and benefit the same. You are always downleveled to the zone you are in, so you can feel free to play without her in other zones while not sacrificing any of the experience with her.

5) Jumping puzzles and exploration are a nice departure from standard MMOs, and will often give non MMO gamers something that entices them more into the MMO word.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    I apologize for being completely offtopic, but geez... Those were the days! Pking in Runescape! The hours I spent sitting on the same dot on the map with entire groups of players.... waiting for rune miners or people wandering about. Good times...
    I know... Same here! so much fun. The risk/reward was so fun!

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 12:44 AM ----------

By the way, Thanks everyone! I was not expecting this overwhelming of a response. You guys are very helpful, this is a great community!

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 01:03 AM ----------

Is there any way to get a free trial for GW2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Terra is going Free to Play next month, Why not wait for that one? Its cutesy and a solid generic mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cludo View Post
    terra is going free to play next month, why not wait for that one? Its cutesy and a solid generic mmo.
    elin power!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cludo View Post
    Terra is going Free to Play next month, Why not wait for that one? Its cutesy and a solid generic mmo.

cause the grind is horendous and all the females wear butt floss and have hip gyrating problems and their is a sole race of little girls in lingerie
    to appeal to pedos XD

OT: I'd say GW2, great fun and since there is no sub you can pick up and play whenever and not feel like you are wasting money like a lot of sub based games (that is if you don't play often)

If you are planning to wait a bit, Dragons Prophet, Neverwinter Online, and The Elder Scrolls Online are all set to come out this year. Also if you two like Steampunk I highly advise checking out City of Steam.

The Secret World isn't medieval, but it's got a pretty fun story and you can take your time with it. It can be pretty tough though, but questing's easier in groups.