Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Girlfriend wants to play an mmo with me!

My girlfriend is had to move away for her job for a while so she has nothing to do at night. She isn't into video games, but has played fable and assassins creed. However she does love adventures, so she decided that she would like to try playing an adventure mmo with me so we could talk and explore together while she is gone.

She wants a game medieval fantasy style like fable or skyrim and prefers it to be free

I was wondering what you guys would suggest?

-we tried raiderz, but without buying a mouse with buttons on it, it is to hard to play. ( I usually keybind every ability/spell)

My favorite mmo's I have played are:
    WoW
    SWTOR
    runescape (just for the old school pking since you could take all of the gear they had with them)

I haven't really tried any other mmo's except for dabbling with: (I don't know much about these games.)
    Age of Conan
    Guild wars 1
    LoTR online

The game must have solid pvp in it!

15+ Year Old Account
    Give her WoW, it's the best you can offer for what it is. Other games will just get too complicated in the short time frame you will be playing. ToR is good, and free, but eh, dunno about the PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest Guild Wars 2 as the gameplay is enjoyable and, depending on person to person, the storyline is pretty decent. I personally stopped playing it after a month, not because didn't like it (I personally thought it was really good) but because I'm just burnt out on MMORPG's in general, haven't replaced it with anything yet.

You could take a look beyond the boundaries of MMO's maybe, there are some great co-op fantasy RPG's out there with amazing stories and huge seemingly free-roam worlds. Generally not free though .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

GW2 imo, so much exploring to do.

Tera is going F2P in February. Eyecandy for you, eyecandy for her!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say GW2 as well. Dungeons and Dragons Online is free as well. I really really like DDO.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:05 AM ----------

I am going to revise my post and say you should try DDO over GW2.

http://www.ddo.com/

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:20 AM ----------

I did not read the pvp part. It has some pvp but it really isn't balanced at all and not a main feature of the game. But is an excellent fantasy game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I am going to revise my post and say you should try DDO over GW2.

I tried DDO when it first came out and thought it was brilliant, I didn't stick with it at the time because I had other games I was interested in but I've been tempted to give it another go. Some of the main things that I remember impressing me are the dungeons, loved the puzzles and traps etc, and the ingame voice chat which seemed hugely ahead of any other similar feature at the time.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I tried DDO when it first came out and thought it was brilliant, I didn't stick with it at the time because I had other games I was interested in but I've been tempted to give it another go. Some of the main things that I remember impressing me are the dungeons, loved the puzzles and traps etc, and the ingame voice chat which seemed hugely ahead of any other similar feature at the time.
    It's only gotten better and the F2P model they use is one of the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    I'd suggest GW2 f2p, great combat and alot to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    Tera is going F2P in February. Eyecandy for you, eyecandy for her!
    I'm so gonna try Tera, but I'm very skeptical if it is too japanese.. you know..
    Last edited by mmoc5f651aac41; 2013-01-14 at 11:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would actually suggest GW2 seems to be the perfect game for this particular arrangement.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duranox View Post
    I'd suggest GW2 f2p, great combat and alot to do.
    I'd say b2p is a better description than f2p, no sub ≠ free .

Yeah i'd go with GW2 as well considering your preference for PvP. You don't even need to level for the PvP part since it's seperate from PvE, automatically upscaled you to max level and gears you out with PvP starter gear. This way you can explore the PvE world with your girl when she's online and dive into PvP without a problem when she's offline. Also since higher levels are downscaled to the level of the zone you can play together even if one of you is a higher level because of solo playtime.

I'd suggest GW2 as well. Very pretty and girl friendly game, and frankly it is a stellar game for the casual player.

Gotta agree with everyone saying GW2 too. While it has essentially no end-game (at least from my perspective; no character-power progression = no end-game), the leveling process is miles above any other MMO I've played, and the PvP is decent.

The main reason I'd recommend it is that, while a game like WoW has way more to offer on the gameplay-side (imo) than GW2 does, GW2 does a way better job of building its world, and giving a good feel of the world through the game's aesthetics. Honestly, I have been considering leveling through the nord zone again just because it reminded me of old infinity engine games I used to play, specifically Icewind Dale. It was a very enjoyable game to play up to the level cap. Didn't have anything interesting to do once I got there, but the journey there was miles above any other MMO I've played, so much that I did level 2-3 more characters to the cap before I got bored with the game.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vinicent View Post
    runescape (just for the old school pking since you could take all of the gear they had with them)
    I apologize for being completely offtopic, but geez... Those were the days! Pking in Runescape! The hours I spent sitting on the same dot on the map with entire groups of players.... waiting for rune miners or people wandering about. Good times...

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 would be the best bet since theres no monthly subscription and it has amazing scaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

WoW is ridiculously easy for anyone to pick up and start playing.

I told my girlfriend to play a hunter and seriously no matter what she does she will kill the mobs.

Whatever game you choose, try to stay away from majorly guild / raid / level cap based endgame content or you will not be able to avoid the situation where one part of a couple is taken for a raid and the other is not, which could severely hurt your relationship when it happens over a prolonged peroid of time. If you pick stuff like WoW or SWTOR this is bound to happen if you ask me.

That being said, I'd join the people recommending GW2 simply out of the reason that you are in no hurry in this game. You can explore it all the way you like and it takes place on whatever level you are since you are always scaled to the content. You can literally do everything together without suffering from group penalties. Also, the game does not force you into dungeons or PvP to stay competitive, these are merely options you can join whenever you like.

The only downside would be that the game can be a bit tough for some classes, but then you want to play together, so it'll be alright I guess.