Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I already knew this but thanks for the links. I'm going to have some fun watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    None of this is news to me. Most people would never guess it but I'm an existential nihilist as well, though I can't follow any philosophy like it's some ultimate truth. For me there's still something to be said about morality and relieving suffering, but at the end of the day, yeah I agree with you. I recognize some clear areas in my life where my behavior contradicts my philosophy, but life isn't so simple that it can be defined by a single viewpoint.

I do find it amusing watching people scramble to validate their lives when something like this is posted though.
    It's like you siphoned the emotions right out of my soul...well said.

Deleted
    Ah right, thanks for the heads-up OP, without that I would surely be lost. I guess this is an inverted version of the message the media and advertising directs at us everyday - "You are special, you can achieve anything if you act like this/buy this". I suppose this is relevant too:

Last edited by mmoc2f7dfebfb1; 2013-01-14 at 04:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    You should say RELATIVELY insignificant.

Compared to the universe, the world, the nation, and even your state and city? Yeah - most people are pretty insignificant (though not all).

However, to your neighborhood, your workplace, your social groups, and (especially) to your friends and family? You could be one of the most significant people around. The impact you can have on those people in your life can be monumental. You could be all but irreplaceable.

So no - I don't go around thinking I'm the cock of the walk and that whatever I do is going to leave a lasting mark on all humanity for all time. I have no such self delusions. However, I try to live each day knowing I can be the best I can to the people that matter the most - and that can make me George freaking Bailey to those people. And I can hold my head high for that, and - yes - even strut a bit even in the presence of kings and Titans of industry.

It's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Your existence is insignificant. You are a here for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of time. You are highly insignificant in the world, and the world is insignificant in the galaxy, and the galaxy is insignificant in the universe. The Earth is tiny and is only here for a fraction of time, a blink of an eye in the larger scheme of things. You will be completely forgotten and so will any memory of you. Nothing you ever say, do, or think will ever matter in any way, shape, or form, and neither will it last in any way.

You are completely and totally insignificant.

in·sig·nif·i·cant
    /ˌinsigˈnifikənt/
    Adjective
    Too small or unimportant to be worth consideration.
    (of a person) Without power or influence.
    Synonyms
    trifling - trivial - negligible - unimportant - petty

A graphical representation of your insignificance:
    -http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars (Chrome Only)
    -http://scaleofuniverse.com
    Is this irony?
    If you believe that you are insignificant and nothing you do matters why make a post that seems designed to have a significant point of making people understand they are insignificant? And if one person changes because of this then what you have said/done matters to them on a personal level.

Now if we are using permanence to determine significance then everything is insignificant.

Your existence is insignificant. You are a here for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of time. You are highly insignificant in the world, and the world is insignificant in the galaxy, and the galaxy is insignificant in the universe. The Earth is tiny and is only here for a fraction of time, a blink of an eye in the larger scheme of things. You will be completely forgotten and so will any memory of you. Nothing you ever say, do, or think will ever matter in any way, shape, or form, and neither will it last in any way.

in·sig·nif·i·cant
    /ˌinsigˈnifikənt/
    Adjective
    Too small or unimportant to be worth consideration.
    (of a person) Without power or influence.
    Synonyms
    trifling - trivial - negligible - unimportant - petty

A graphical representation of your insignificance:
    -http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars (Chrome Only)
    -http://scaleofuniverse.com
    I may be here for a fraction of time but my life is the longest i will ever knew.

I don't care. (: I am enjoying myself and doing what I can with the time that I've been given to live on this planet. Finding significance in life isn't really on my priority list.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you are, but what am I?

Deleted
    This post is insignificant.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a philosophical sense, it is all dependent on who the observer is. Your importance can be perceived differently based on who you are asking.

Ask someone on the other side of the Universe, and sure they will view us as insignificant. But if you ask your children, you mean more than the Universe itself.

To generalize perception is a shortsighted way to view things. We do not know the answers to the Universe and how each atom or electron effects the Universe as a whole.

Removing one brick from a 30 story building may seem insignificant, but over time the building will crumble to the ground as you took out part of it's support.

Deleted

To who? It's all relative. In the grand scheme of all things obviously (and then again this can be debatable). But to a loved one?

Deleted
    Significance depends on observer. I am very significant for myself. The number of stars is however not significant for me at all.
    Last edited by mmoc331d9c635d; 2013-01-14 at 04:54 PM.

So I am. Not that I'm surprised. I'll embrace it.

However, since I am, you are and everyone else is too.

Conclusion? We are all equal on the lowest possible stage. Well then, onwards, to supper!

Deleted
    I'm having fun though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the Theory of Relativity work for "significance"? lol

The truth of the matter is, I am the only person who exists. I am god and I am the universe. The rest of you are philosophical zombies - constructs of my mind who exist only because I allow it, and will end when I demand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornh View Post
    I've seldom seen such an incredibly unnecessary post. 100% atheist propaganda, too.
    Wait...you're on the internet. You've seen boatloads of incredibly unnecessary posts. You just chose to favor them. And don't bring religion or lack of into this shit. That's propaganda.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I beg to differ. One man can change the world.
    Then you fail to understand the point of this thread. Changing this world doesn't mean anything in relation to the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I love reading a thread that makes me ponder a serious answer, getting to the end and getting ready to type said answer, and then finding a post that makes me laugh and realize this is not srs bzns after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    I love reading a thread that makes me ponder a serious answer, getting to the end and getting ready to type said answer, and then finding a post that makes me laugh and realize this is not srs bzns after all.
    lol I couldn't help myself. It really is a great question to think about though, ones place in the universe. I just happen to much prefer Neil deGrasse Tyson's version of it.