Deleted

Prices for rares on the TP

A few rares (yellow) have been dropping for me recently, I've had maybe 3-4 in a couple of days while exploring casually, and I was wondering about people's Trading Post strategy in GW2. So far I've been salvaging blues, and have sold one or two masterwork pieces (greens) for a few silvers.

Now these yellows are things like a plate shoulder which is part of a lvl 42 set, and the lowest seller on the TP posted at 23 silver, while the highest buyer was looking to pay 11s. That's an interesting situation because for a really quick sale you can match the buyer, while for a higher profit you can undercut the lowest seller by an amount and it might take a while to sell...

What do other people do? At what point does it become worthwhile to TP stuff rather than salvaging and selling the mats? What kind of strategy do you folks use to set a price when posting something at an offered price, ie how often do you get a sale on something that's not buyer-matching?

For level 70+ rares, salvage with a black lion or mystic kit if the TP price is less than or equal to one glob of ectoplasm.

For rares below lvevl 70, sell them on TP since you wont get any valuable mats from salvage.
    For you example, list it for the 23 silver. Thats double the profit of the offer and it will likely sell. The offer price is probably so low bc someone is playing the market to buy low and resell high.

I don't salvage blues (or greens). More often than not the materials you get from them will not net you more than if you'd just vendored it. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but not many.

My TP strategy is to list anything that'll make a decent profit. The "Projected Profit" field will tell you how much you stand to earn after fees. As long as that number is what I personally consider a sufficient gain over simply vendoring the item then I'll list it. (A lot of times it's not worth it if there's high supply, low demand, and the profit margin is small.)

I only undercut by 1c and the items usually sell quickly. I almost never meet highest offer unless the price point is really close to the lowest seller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by metalgemini View Post
    For level 70+ rares, salvage with a black lion or mystic kit if the TP price is less than or equal to one glob of ectoplasm.
    Level 68+

That's the same strategy I use except I only use the Black Lion kits if the rune is worth selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    The "Projected Profit" field will tell you how much you stand to earn after fees.
    Keep in mind that the Projected Profit only considers the 10% completed trade fee and does not include the 5% listing fee.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by metalgemini View Post
    The offer price is probably so low bc someone is playing the market to buy low and resell high.
    Shhhh stop outing me, I'm trying to make money here.

Vendor greens and blues, salvage whites and yellows. check price on exotics, sometimes salvage those too. I'd much rather mobs just drop materials and let players craft completed items.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Never sell to highest buyer unless the difference is less than 15% (even then you shouldn't). If you want to be pretty damn sure your item will sell, just list it for 15% less than the previous lowest seller. Those people with the low buy orders are people just flipping on the TP, they make profit out of you when you sell to them. Low level rares aren't very sought after which makes them easy to flip.