Thread: Volan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    That's sucks since Volan is the best event type thing I've done in any MMO. But even with over 400 doing Volan on my Shard (wolfs) I rarely have issues with it. It's ashame that something like internet speed or your video card could mess with this event but yea what you describe here sounds like a limitation of yours. Hopefully you get to experience Volan as he was meant to be. On a side note, 2 out of the last 3 days we actually had volan pop at normal hours. Up to now - Volan would only pop on our shard between like about 2 am - 7am.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Man that's nothing. I used to play wow on a mechanical computer I built in Minecraft on a 5year old used laptop, try to one up that.
    I did all that on my TI-83, what are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Volan on Icewatch earlier with "only" 150+ players on him, they're definitely tweaking the encounter, gets smoother each time

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Volan on Icewatch earlier with "only" 150+ players on him, they're definitely tweaking the encounter, gets smoother each time
    Only 150 player out in the open world at 8:40 am on what could be classified as probably the most un-peak time and day where the majority of the population are Working/Sleeping or Consuming vast quantities of Bacon?!?!

Dead game is dead

I play on Shatterbone, which is probably one of the lower population shards. But I can say with confidence I have never experienced frame rate or ability lag on Volan. I feel sorry for you poor souls.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got a Volan at like 8AM myself last Friday on a day I took off of work. I had 10 steady, sometimes 15 FPS and the fight did feel smoother. A couple of Volan's over the weekend seemed better, but then one at peak last night as god awful again. I'm pretty sure it's just the number of people in the area that is determining everything.

I don't think they've adjusted the encounter or anything else. Seems to just be luck of less people. Once more people have less need for IS I'm assuming the encounter will be butter.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    As Kitty said the breaking point is not 150 people, hit 300 ppl and server load is increased exponentially that's when there seems to be issues which is most likely to happen on all the high pop servers at prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I got a Volan at like 8AM myself last Friday on a day I took off of work. I had 10 steady, sometimes 15 FPS and the fight did feel smoother. A couple of Volan's over the weekend seemed better, but then one at peak last night as god awful again. I'm pretty sure it's just the number of people in the area that is determining everything.

I don't think they've adjusted the encounter or anything else. Seems to just be luck of less people. Once more people have less need for IS I'm assuming the encounter will be butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    As Kitty said the breaking point is not 150 people, hit 300 ppl and server load is increased exponentially that's when there seems to be issues which is most likely to happen on all the high pop servers at prime time.
    This is too true, 150ish people is nothing, it's when you get 250-300+ that the server starts to slow down and not handle it due to the exponential increase in resources needed to support each player.

As far as I can tell they have done nothing to make it smoother at all as the last one I was at I still had all sorts of ability lag and whatnot.

Deleted
    Why do you keep saying "exponential increase"? afaik it should be linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Why do you keep saying "exponential increase"? afaik it should be linear.
    From another thread where this was brought up:

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...s-hoirzon.html

It basically states that as more players arrive the server load goes up exponentially because it not only has to figure out what everyone is doing, but then communicate that to each person there. So each person that arrives increases the amount of processing needed for each person already there.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 10:45 AM ----------

Speaking of Volan, my RL friend finally transferred back to Deepwood from Seastone. He went to Volan with me the other day and we were on vent. He was telling me how awesome it was because it was going so quickly. Apparently, on Seastone, the PvP server, it took over 2 hours to defeat Volan because everyone was busy fighting each other basically at a stalemate and not working on killing Volan at all. I am so glad I moved servers. With the little time I already have, and missing over half the Volan Events anyway, I cannot imagine finally being able to be there for one then having to log out before he is even down. How much of a pain those quests back there must be too.

I am curious, if any of you are on a PvP server what have your experiences with Volan, or Zone Events in general, been like since SL release?

Man, I'm never on when Volan happens. I've done that event twice since launch. So sadpanda, I want a shot at my free relics : (

10+ Year Old Account
    did him for the first time a few days ago...i didn't notice any drop in fps, was around 30+ constantly on max and supersampling....my fps tend to drop on normal rifts more..it's something about the floor effect that seems to cirpple my fps for a few seconds before the grass respawns >.<