Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I think it actually is a fact that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's. A lot of their food, those Milkbone treats especially, are made to act like a toothbrush for a dog and help remove plaque and stuff. That, and I actually do brush my dog's teeth... lol
    This..I don't allow my dogs to lick my face myself but not because it's dirty. It's because they need to learn to wait for food...and the only reason they lick your face is because of the smell of food. (not because they love you like some naive people think)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    "a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's" has been proven wrong. they even did it on mythbusters for what it's worth. i do NOT let animals lick me. dogs, cats, whatever, i just find it nasty. i don't like how it feels, i just don't like it. it's nasty imo.
    It's clean as it in it can do no harm...it doesn't do anything on our health (providing it's a healthy dog). My dogs are not allowed to lick me just because they need to be taught manners (can't really phrase it different atm).

As some other guy said here, licking is fine if you are the one allowing it. A dog should never be allowed to lick on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I don't mind my dog licking my cheeks, I stop him from licking my mouth though. I can't see the issue with anywhere that isn't your mouth tbh.
    Don't allow him to lick your face at all...you are confusing him by letting him do something only to stop him 2 inches to the left.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Dogs have antibacteria in their saliva.
    So does humans and practically all other animals on earth.

I see nothing wrong with it. I let all 4 of my dogs lick my face, and I don't get grossed out if their tongue ends up inside my mouth. I don't open my mouth and let them lick away, but I don't get all spastic if I open my mouth to breathe easier and their tongue slips in. If I smell anything foul on their breath, then I push them away and give them something to make their breath smell better.

Humans stick their tongues in each others dirty mouths, genitals and some even the a-hole, don't think we have the higher moral ground here. More on topic: I've had dogs lick my face my entire life and I'm still alive and sane, well quite sane.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    I'm not saying it kills you to let a dog lick you in your face, But i cannot see it myself as something clean or pleasant.
    If i were to brush my teeth and use mouthwash practically clean my mouth troughout and offered to lick you in your face ( not mind that its weird)
    Would you be ok with that because my mouth is clean at that point? While there is a way for dogs to get their mouths cleaned, They're often more dirty than clean. So why is that ok?
    If you sit and think about all the different places you come into contact with germs every day, being licked by your own dog is by far one of the cleaner activities you can do. Going to a store and touching a door handle = germs. Touching products in that store = germs. Let's not even get started on how nasty public restrooms are. Hell think about when you go out to eat, how can you really be sure your server washed their hands? Or the cook for that matter.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 10:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    This..I don't allow my dogs to lick my face myself but not because it's dirty. It's because they need to learn to wait for food...and the only reason they lick your face is because of the smell of food. (not because they love you like some naive people think)
    It has nothing to do with food, it is a social thing. Since I'm sure you're going to ask for proof, here is an example from wikipedia but you can feel free to do your own research as well.

Mouth expressions can provide information about the dog's mood. When a dog wants to be left alone, it might yawn (although yawning also might indicate sleepiness, confusion, or stress) or start licking its mouth without the presence of any food. When a dog is happy or wants to play, it might pant with lips relaxed, covering the teeth and with what sometimes appears to be a happy expression and might appear as a smile to some observers.

Mouth expressions that indicate aggression include the snarl, with lips retracting to expose the teeth, although some dogs also use this during play. However, some dogs will pull back their "top lips" in what looks like an aggressive way, when they are excited or happy. For example a dog prone to "smiling" may do so in greeting to a much loved owner and this should not be punished lest the dog become less affectionate.

A very common form of communication as well, is for a dog to lick another dog, or a person. Dogs lick other dogs' faces and mouths when they greet each other to indicate friendliness. Dogs like to lick human skin not only for the salt from the sweat, but also as a form of greeting, such as by briefly licking a person's hand after sniffing it.

Licking is also used as a social bonding analogous to primate social grooming and stroking. This can indicate intimacy. Such licking is longer and slower, as compared to the brief licking of faces during a greeting.

Don't allow him to lick your face at all...you are confusing him by letting him do something only to stop him 2 inches to the left.
    Well he doesn't seem very confused, he knows where he can and can't lick on me.
    It's because they need to learn to wait for food...and the only reason they lick your face is because of the smell of food. (not because they love you like some naive people think)
    And nope! Our dog will sit and wait for a command before he touches anything in his bowl.

Deleted
    I prefer not being licked by dogs in the face because it is easy to transfer parasites from the dog to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    If you sit and think about all the different places you come into contact with germs every day, being licked by your own dog is by far one of the cleaner activities you can do. Going to a store and touching a door handle = germs. Touching products in that store = germs. Let's not even get started on how nasty public restrooms are. Hell think about when you go out to eat, how can you really be sure your server washed their hands? Or the cook for that matter.
    Well you're right on that, Maybe i've just met dogs in my life whose mouth always smells bad. And having that on my face does not make me feel warm inside.

Deleted
    Hands can contain a lot of nasty stuff aswell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Hands can contain a lot of nasty stuff aswell.
    They do, But people generally don't put their hands in other peoples faces? Maybe ocasionally a granny saying, ohhh you've grown so much!
    Or a lover kissing you. Other than that ?

Two dogs having a conversation.
    #1 guess what i did earlier
    #2 what?
    #1 i licked my butt, licked my johnson and the boys, and for good measure ninja'd a cat turd from the litterbox. Then I licked my master on his face and mouth.
    #2 lol. i can't believe they fall for that shit every time.

They do, But people generally don't put their hands in other peoples faces? Maybe ocasionally a granny saying, ohhh you've grown so much!
    Or a lover kissing you. Other than that ?
    In your own face though - nail biting is very common

Losen up, it's not going to make you sick, unless you have the weakest immune system ever.
    The moment of friendship is far more important to me thene "omg it might be icky".

Don't be so scared of getting dirty or catching germes, live a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    "a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's" has been proven wrong. they even did it on mythbusters for what it's worth. i do NOT let animals lick me. dogs, cats, whatever, i just find it nasty. i don't like how it feels, i just don't like it. it's nasty imo.
    I am a human, and am very keen on licking people's faces :3

My dog knows that I don't like my face getting licked so he stops a couple of cm in front of it and licks the air

Yet we have no problem licking our partner's skin which is covered with bacteria, sticking our tongue in another person's mouth (and let's face it, how many people do this without even knowing them?) or touch so many things through the day that have who knows what on them only to then grab a bite to eat without washing our hands first?

Bottom line is this: Kids know what's up. A little dirt n' germs never hurt nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    My dog knows that I don't like my face getting licked so he stops a couple of cm in front of it and licks the air
    Hahahaha that is the most hilarious and saddest thing ive read in this forums :P
    can imagine his/her face going "okkaaaaaaayy" "licks the air close to your face"

Letting Dogs lick in your face
    No, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Bottom line is this: Kids know what's up. A little dirt n' germs never hurt nobody.
    If anything, a little dirt an germs are essential for our health

So why do people really let dogs lick them in their faces? A dogs breath never smells good either.
    I can understand from a point that it looks cute when your dog is being all happy and sloppy with you, But still it doesen't strike me as something pleasant!

What is your opinion about this? Do you let your dog or another dog lick you in your face, And if so why? Or do you find it nasty?
    Next your going to say tongue kissing a dog is wrong too.

You germ freaks and your fear of everything.