Deleted

Question Introducing a new player to PvP

So i finally got a friend of mine start playing warcraft (just for PvP).
    My main concern is that he will be quickly frustrated and quit since majority of players have played this game for years and it still takes a while to get enough pvp power to be viable i think.The idea is to play 2's casually and random battleground together.
    Myself im a solo bg hero (battlemaster, justicar) and played hunter and only hunter since 08, he will be playing a warlock (not sure about spec yet).
    I guess we will start in 5.2 and i have a couple questions.

1. Fastest way to grind honor, random bg or bg's our faction has got the biggest winning % ?
    2. Any good to start doing arenas (atleast for points to begin with) with the crafted set? or should we grind full honor set first?
    3. Hunter/lock viable at all? or will it just be frustrating?
    4. Locks fun in random bg's? i know some classes are really fun in bg's and others not so..
    5. How can i help him? i dont want my constructive criticism drive him away from the game..
    6. Are all 3 lock specs viable? Which one is the most newbie friendly? (talking 5.2)

Really would appreciate any input here, I'm sure some of you have introduced new players in the wonderful world of pvp! And any pvp warlock advice really appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Starting out with a new char in arenas is hard now even for veteran players. Item upgrade and pvp power on weapon just takes so much time. It's a shame that gear makes such a difference. Unless he's playing a warrior, you'll have some trouble. If he does though, you'll be just fine. But how about playing arenas/bg with him at 70 or another lower level bracket? Gearing up to the level of everyone else is easy enough there but I don't know about queue times or if you're at all interested. It might be a good, soft start for him though.

1,Honestly, for the rest of this season, I'd say crafted gear is fine. no point busting your ass to get 458 only to have it replaced in a handful of weeks when 5.2 is here.crafted set, and then buy conq bits and upgrade them one by one as you go.
    2, its fun enough, especially since most comps are double dps nowadays.
    3, I think itll be fine, decent CC, decent nuke..
    4, my wife loves her lock, destro is the cool kid in town, but my wife has fun as affli/demo usually.
    5, what I did was, I read guides. she isnt the guide reading sort of player, so i did it for her and simply told her how to spec/glyph etc xD far easier and she didnt get frustrated.
    6, yes I believe so, affliction is weakest I think though?

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    1. Fastest way to grind honor, random bg or bg's our faction has got the biggest winning % ?
    Random BG's, if you can get a premade group of 5 people to play it gets you honor a bit quicker. Do Tol Barad whenever it's on, it still gives you a nice amount of honor, remember to do the weekly Tol Barad win quest for extra honor.
    2. Any good to start doing arenas (atleast for points to begin with) with the crafted set? or should we grind full honor set first?
    Do weekly arenas just for conquest points, no matter how bad the gear is. PvP gear grind is garbage atm, it will (most likely) get better in 5.2.
    It's "viable" as in viable in 2s. Everything can work in 2s, but you will have a hard time when you start meeting people with good synergy.
    4. Locks fun in random bg's? i know some classes are really fun in bg's and others not so..
    It all depends on player, but Locks are fun. Gateway and Port give nice mobility and they are both fun abilities to use to mindfuck people.
    5. How can i help him? i dont want my constructive criticism drive him away from the game..
    Have fun and enjoy, let him make the same mistakes that every n00b does.
    6. Are all 3 lock specs viable? Which one is the most newbie friendly? (talking 5.2)
    They are all viable, affliction is still a bit weak in 5.2. Destruction is probably the most friendly to someone who has never played a Warlock, destro might work best with a Hunter in 2s also. Demonology is fine too.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Since 1-2 is already answered, I'm not going to bother with that.

3) A while ago I've said in a post that warlock/hunter won't be able to reach over 1.8k, in 5.2, even good players will be struggling to get 1.5k with that comp. It simply lacks everything to be viable. No healing, to little burst for double dps team and no sustained damage at all.

4) Well, let's say that warlocks ( minus demo) are by far the easiest caster to kill in normal battlegrounds since you can't rely on having a healer. Warlocks are extremely healer dependent.
    Because of all the health cost on spells, the low armor value, the lack of passive damage reduction, very susceptible to interrupts and a good way to actually keep melee away from you, you are hard countered by every melee spec unless you can abuse a z-axis.
    With a healer you'll do "ok". Not amazing, not to bad either, just "ok". Without healer, you are a free kill if you can't escape.

5) The best way to learn is to record all your games and watch them later, see your mistakes and don't make them again. Another thing you can do is watch streams and videos of other warlocks and learn from them.

6) Without healer they are all useless. Affliction is all about spreading dots, topping damage done, however, affliction is also by far the easiest to kill.
    Destruction is all about building up embers and trying to cast chaosbolts and cleaving with havoc. Effective when not being focused, but interrupts will ruin your day.
    Demonology on the other hand is about abusing your mobility and building up demonic fury. You punish stacking with chaos wave and every 2min, you unleash your 2 chaoswaves of doom trying to instantly kill someone that's sitting on 50% hp.

Neither of them is noobfriendly imo, warlock simply isn't a class for new players. Without proper use of macros and a lot of keybindings, you'll simply fail rather hard.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-01-14 at 12:53 PM.

Dont make him play pvp in the current state, it will make him never want to pvp ever again.
    Wait for next season, this one is already fucked up

Deleted
    Thanks for all the answers!

I know from experience pvp people are usually pessimists but it seems it will be either to reroll or then he will just have a hard time :
    Last edited by mmoc9725088499; 2013-01-15 at 06:07 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So i finally got a friend of mine start playing warcraft (just for PvP).
    My main concern is that he will be quickly frustrated and quit since majority of players have played this game for years and it still takes a while to get enough pvp power to be viable i think.The idea is to play 2's casually and random battleground together.
    Myself im a solo bg hero (battlemaster, justicar) and played hunter and only hunter since 08, he will be playing a warlock (not sure about spec yet).
    I guess we will start in 5.2 and i have a couple questions.

Really would appreciate any input here, I'm sure some of you have introduced new players in the wonderful world of pvp! And any pvp warlock advice really appreciated as well.

Thanks!
    1) Do TB or WG if you can other then that random BG's will be the core here
    2) Crafted is fine like It's not hard everyone does this for points
    3) Hunter zoo rush stamede dead - Warlock Chaosbolt pop all cool downs in the game and hope the other team are a bunch of terribles who can't interrupt / CC
    4) Lol It's faceroll
    5) What the hunter? I have no clue about them cept getting stampede makes me /wrist
    6) Destro would be the newb friendly