Thread: No Leg Cardio?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    I'm a bit confused though, if you have bad knees, and can't run... can't you just do an Elliptical machine? From my understanding, running is bad on your knees because of the shock of impact with your foot hitting the ground. Both biking and elliptical should be ok in your case... that is unless you JUST HAD the surgery.
    The whole point of ellipticals is low impact cardio, so I think that would work for him. Swimming is still a great (best?) idea though.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

There are hand bikes but it is hard to get your heart rate up without any leg use.

Maybe try some wheelchair racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    A lot of gymns have indoor or outdoor (heated) pools. So, ya swimming is good.

I'm a bit confused though, if you have bad knees, and can't run... can't you just do an Elliptical machine? From my understanding, running is bad on your knees because of the shock of impact with your foot hitting the ground. Both biking and elliptical should be ok in your case... that is unless you JUST HAD the surgery.
    It really depends on what's wrong with your knees. I've had problems on and off, and I currently get more knee pain from cycling than I do from running.

10+ Year Old Account
    My gym has a thing called a krankcycle. Seems to be a somewhat obscure bit of equipment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Do you ride a road bike? If so, you could invest in some rollers.
    its a Mountain bike i got for 20 bucks on craigs-list, I'm poorish, and that's one reason I really like biking, its free and my town has many bike paths. Still biking to work which is about 2 or 3 miles away, but its too cold to really go on long exercise rides when its this cold, really looking for something to do until spring.

About the knee, my right knee had a meniscus tear, so during surgery they took out much of the cartilage on the inside of the knee so they recommended doing things that are very low impact because my knee is already going to wear out faster than a normal knee, so don't wear it out any faster than it needs to be.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    About the knee, my right knee had a meniscus tear, so during surgery they took out much of the cartilage on the inside of the knee so they recommended doing things that are very low impact because my knee is already going to wear out faster than a normal knee, so don't wear it out any faster than it needs to be.
    If I was in your position, I would pass on biking to work and biking as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    If I was in your position, I would pass on biking to work and biking as a hobby.
    Well my doctor said biking was fine, and would actually help with recovery, which it did. I started back to biking about 2 weeks after my surgery.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about an elliptical? It's great cardio, just like running, but without the impact.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Those aren't free.
    well i dont know if you're still looking at this thread but if you're a US guy you probably have a YMCA close by and they charge on a sliding scale. I think my membership was about eight bucks a month back when I was broke. Less than a wow sub!

Deleted
    Does your gym have a handbike? I find them really good.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    Does your gym have a handbike? I find them really good.
    Does your gym
    your gym
    Are you serious, that is the whole point of the thread.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Run on your hands.

Are you serious, that is the whole point of the thread.
    You never stated "I cannot afford gym membership", you made a comment about being poorish but you didnt say I'm looking for a free workout to replace cycling during the colder months, so I wouldnt bite his head off.

OT; there are some fairly decent exercises you can do at home that'll get your heart pumping if you do close sets. Things like squats/push up combinations ect. Not the most entertaining form of exercise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It really depends on what's wrong with your knees. I've had problems on and off, and I currently get more knee pain from cycling than I do from running.
    Your saddle is too low!

But yeah, they make handbikes that you can ride anywhere. I see them on RAGBRAI a lot. Or just lift those lightweight dumbbells, in a cardio-esque fashion.

Swimming is the best idea advanced so far. Some kind of low-impact routine with light wrist weights might also be good, you don't bend your knees too much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Swimming is probably your best bet, cyclnig is good, but steep hills will probably hurt your knees, if its cold out just wear some good layers, with a wind/water proof coat and after about 4-6 miles you'll warm up enough.

if its just general fitness you're after trying just doing bodyweight exercises, something like fitness666.com could well help, there's no impact, and the only ones you might struggle with knee wise are squats, but if you start off low like the site says you'll soon build up extra muscle around the knee to help support the joint