Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Leveling during Vanilla took was long and tedious.

- Quests only gave a very small amount of exp
    - There weren't enough quests in zone A to level you up until you could start Zone B. You either had to keep switching between them zones, or spend long hours farming mobs.
    - No mounts until lvl 40 and the fact that they used to cost a lot of gold.
    - Some classes (like priests) had a very hard time killing mobs. Drinking every other mob for 30 secs really slowed you down.
    - You actually had to read, think and search when doing quests. There weren't any addons yet to help you

A lot of us, who leveled during early vanilla, still suffer from "levelingphobia".
    When I started to level my main at MoP release, I actually had flashbacks, cold sweats and noticed myself shivering at multiple occasions.

It may have been rarer than today, but it was not rare and certainly not exceptional. I remember it was already common to have two crafting professions on your main (and at least 1 alt with gathering professions) to max out your character stats, and that was by the time we hit 70.

I got a hunter and a druid to 60 and raided on both of them. The hunter to naxx and the druid to aq40.
    And my later main a warrior hit 60 on classic too but mainly used her for tanking the non raid content.

Deleted
    It took me 8 months to level to 60 and I honestly never considered the fact that I could have multiple characters. I was just so busy, always farming and stuff, and new to these kind of games that it never crossed my mind. Close to the end of Classic I finally got my husband to play and decided to level a new character with him, which got me completely hooked to alts So I did have 2 level 60s by the end of Classic, but I didn't raid or use the alt until TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by trizzjeeuh View Post
    - There weren't enough quests in zone A to level you up until you could start Zone B. You either had to keep switching between them zones, or spend long hours farming mobs.
    That´s an exaggeration. There were a few questholes like the 48-50 one but most of the time you could normally go from one zone to the next. And i don´t know anyone who farmed mobs since they gave/give so little xp compared to the quest rewards.

It took me a month to hit 60 when I first played. After about 5months at 60 and doing some raids me and a friend leveled up some hunters. We then used them for the sole purpose of going into AV. We did as many dungeons as we could and got the dungeon gear and then got some pvp gear and had some laughs sniping mages in AV. A lot of fun.

Deleted
    In Vanilla I was an altoholic but didn't have two characters at cap since I server hopped quite a bit before settling down where I am now (plenty of 40 something chars all over the place). Highest alt when BC hit was 53.

In BC I had a bunch of capped characters, even raided with different alts (Pally, Shaman, Warior, Druid & Hunter)

As for farming mobs: In Vanilla I levelled from 58-60 on my hunter by killing yetis in Winterspring. I was done questing and Silithus wasn't released yet.

a dude in my guild had 3 druids at lvl 60 he also had 2 mages.

Dont ask me why. I cant answer that

10+ Year Old Account
    I Dunno but it sure as hell was more fun to level than it is now... I still remember lvling my first toon in tbc damn that was awesomesauce ... the world was still populated in the lowbie areas and the pvp in front of Scarlet Monastery ... oh god how I miss those times

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    When levelling was harsh and the game was brutal, I wonder, is there anyone that created multiple characters and leveled them to 60 in Vanilla, or even BC WoW?
    Only had the 1 60 before BC came along, because most of my characters got to the ~20-40 mark then mysteriously got deleted on a whim because I'd lost interest in them.

But I had 3 70's in BC...

And all three were Paladins.

It wasn't until Wrath that I finally started to have several max level classes, and had the full 10 classes at 85 in Cata. I'm currently at 5/11 90's in Mists, with 6 to go!

I had my troll shaman, undead priest, orc warlock, tauren warrior, and night elf druid to 60 back before BC came out. Assorted alts of the other classes at lower levels. I always have enjoyed leveling, and didn't think it was terrible back then while I was doing it.

I also had a terrible PC so I couldn't do any raiding beyond ZG and AQ20, so I had a lot of time not raiding to do other stuff.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    That´s an exaggeration. There were a few questholes like the 48-50 one but most of the time you could normally go from one zone to the next. And i don´t know anyone who farmed mobs since they gave/give so little xp compared to the quest rewards.
    AoE mob grinding for XP was actually quite lucrative in Vanilla for certain classes.

In Vanilla I leveled a Rogue, Mage, Paladin, Priest and I believe a warlock to 60. It wasn't hard. it only took a little time.

My main raided Naxx and I had two alts in BWL. And noone understood how someone could do this. There were no alts in vanilla. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I had 3 60's and quite a few 39-50's for twinking. My friend had 8 60's, wasn't really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    When levelling was harsh and the game was brutal, I wonder, is there anyone that created multiple characters and leveled them to 60 in Vanilla, or even BC WoW?
    I did. I like the vanilla leveling with it's slower pace and the diversity it has through different profession and class quests, as well as long dungeon quests.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2013-01-15 at 03:47 PM.

Had a rogue, warrior, mage and priest. Then multiple chars around 40 on different servers. I didnt raid back then, did i PvP a bit to rank 8 or so solo. Wasnt that old, did didnt really wanny bother with the whole thing, so alts seemed like the perfect thing to do when one come home from school

Leveling back then was a blizz compared to the monotome boring leveling going on now. It might have taken long, and it surely did, but it was interesting.

Just got my 3rd mage to 80, and god help me, ive never been so bored. While im getting alot closer to the max cap on chars, i havent leveled that much after the cata-revamp, it just totally killed leveling as a part of the game to be good at. Sad
    Last edited by Gum; 2013-01-15 at 03:53 PM.

My first 60 was a priest, followed by a mage and a druid. Had time to gear the Priest and the druid full ZA and ZG, as well as having some pieces of t1 and t2. Mage never got a chance to get geared before BC.

Also had a lock lvl 49 and a rogue lvl 36 which I leveled in BC.

The only toon who had an epic mount was my priest. It was wayyy too expensive at that time !

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a Paladin on Blackrock US Server named Exotika along with a Hunter named Existence.
    Both have been server transferred and named changed.
    Enjoy having the Knight-Champion Title on my Paladin

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as I got my shaman to 60 I immediately started leveling a rogue which then became my main. About half way through the expansion I also got a warrior to 60.

So only three over the course of the expansion, but I like many others still had a legion of mid ranged alt characters. The leveling landscape and game were so much different back then that I couldn't even attempt to max out any more. Having to do nearly 4 zones to go from 40-50 was brutal. Playing (IMO) incredibly boring classes like a mage (where you cast one nuke the entire time, then proceeded to drink for 20 seconds after each pull) made me not want to level a whole lot.

Running around doing the totem quests for my shaman was a nightmare.

Also vanilla was the age where you had A LOT of people twinking characters for low level BGs!