Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Speculation: What would you feel about paid transmog sets?

Ok, so here's a possible can of worms, after checking the cash shops of SWTOR and of GW2 I noticed how they have plenty of unique armor skins that you can apply to your gear, skins that are (at least in GW2's case) completely unobtainable in the game.

World of Warcraft also has a cash shop, it sells only pets and mounts, but what would you feel about if blizzard added transmog sets that can only be obtained via the cash shop? would you hate it? would you welcome that change and actually buy them?

I'm talking about 100% statless armor, sorta like the armors you get after you get Gold in all the challenge mode dungeons, just cosmetic armor with a unique look that, just like the mounts and pets offered in the cash shop, can't be obtained in any way on the game.

Same goes for weapons, if they added unique weapon skins for transmog that can't be obtained otherwise, except for the cash shop.

/discuss.

(Personally, I would hate it. Sure, they're optional, but for a lot of players, your own aesthetic is just as important (and sometimes MORE important) than stats. Most armor sets in the game look terrible, and if they suddenly develop a really REALLY good looking armor set, only to slap a real-money price tag on it, that would be almost insulting. This practice could be acceptable for F2P MMOs, because they have to make a profit from somewhere, but for a sub-based game, there is no excuse.)

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

If Blizz dropped the subscription (or made it optional like SWTOR) then I think it would be a good change. I HATE when a f2p game sells anything other than cosmetic items for real money so statless transmog sets would be the best thing for Blizzard to sell in the cash shop.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No! Part of the fun of transmogging, is actually getting the set. That shows you went to the trouble of getting it!

Some sets are not available anymore and others require major grinding. Either way, it shows you what kind of a player he/she is!

Sounds fine to me. Offers no power gains, no method of getting a step ahead of the players who are putting the time in instead... Completely reasonable.

I'm honestly a bit surprised we haven't seen transmog sets on the Blizzard store already, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    No! Part of the fun of transmogging, is actually getting the set. That shows you went to the trouble of getting it!

Some sets are not available anymore and others require major grinding. Either way, it shows you what kind of a player he/she is!
    The same can be said about rare mounts and SPECIALLY pets. And yet we have unique versions of those that can only be obtained if you fork over the credit card. Somehow people seem to be ok with this, which is why I'm asking if they'd be ok if other non-essential stuff was offered at the cash shop, like weapon skins, armor skins, and even tabards

Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post

well if the game would get F2P in return for a bunch of cosmetic rewards, i'd say, yea bring it on! I'm glad they're at least putting some effort in bringing some old looks back in the form of greenies!
    made by Shyama

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Before they offer more armor models that aren't actually worn but just for transmog they'd be better off coding some kind of UI where you can save item models or expand on the void storage or implement 36-40 slot transmog bags. Also I'd love a lot of vanity items be allowed in the void storage but they cannot cause of their unique tag.

Each full armor set is 8 pieces + cloak/weapon/shield/offhand or whatever can match a full outfit so that takes a load of space assuming they add some kind of transmog "pack" depending on class or race or w/e makes it unique.

Some kind of UI pane like the mounts/pets for armor/tabards would be the best option, even if they make it so you can only save older gear from previous expansions depending on character level it'd be nice and still gives the bank/bags purpose for current gear. Of course that'd mean you cannot equip the gear anymore but purchase a slot in the model list for a price or a fee to apply it to current gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that paid X-mog armor sets should become very common, but I wouldn't be adverse to the rare charity set or event set. I'd be ok with maybe like a goofy Halloween set for sale, or if the proceeds went to a good cause like St Jude's or Make-a-wish. But it shouldn't be a common thing, part of the fun of x-mog is going out nad finding the stuff.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Sounds fine to me. Offers no power gains, no method of getting a step ahead of the players who are putting the time in instead... Completely reasonable.

I'm honestly a bit surprised we haven't seen transmog sets on the Blizzard store already, tbh.
    The main reason I'm not ok with this, is that this is not a Free2Play game. We already have to pay them a monthly fee every month just so we can have the right to log in. I hate it when games do that. There was once upon a time, a period where you paid for a game and *GASP* never had to pay again to KEEP playing it. Those days are fading, with subscription games trying to take over, and I despise it. But as a small (very small) consolation token, if we're paying them monthly just to keep playing a product we already bought, at the very least we SHOULD get anything else they develop for free.

If the game was free, that's another story, we already paid for the product, we can play it for free, and if we want anything else post-release, pay for it. That's reasonable. But asking us to pay monthly to play, then pay more for extra stuff they develop on the sidelines is just not right on my book.

Deleted
    It would turn out like the Celestial Steed. On day 1 you would see it everywhere and then gradually disapear to be never seen again.

It's not like many people choose transmog sets that are not associated with being "rare" anyway. Transmog is for those special snowflakes that want to be unique.
    Adding buyable armor sets would virtually be pointless as they would just be 1 click away for everyone and thus completely undesireable.

I think blizzard will do it eventually possibly even during this expansion. I don't have a problem with it though everyone is free to spend their money as they please and I don't think it would deplete to many resources from their design unit.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't sell items that give a boost in stats (which will make it mandatory) for real money before a F2P model they can sell anything for any price as some people will pay for it regardless due to their collecting addictions :P

(I don't buy pets/mounts with money since they don't add anything to character, transmog gear however affects a character visually 24/7, and is re-useable, but the condition has to be that it'd be high quality and unique per race/class to not make it the celestial steed)

I would never use a service like that. If others would want to, that's their decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly like it.

They have other cosmetic items (I'd consider mounts and pets to be cosmetic) in the store, why not add outfits?

Part of this is probably that I absolutely love different "outfits" in any game I play, I'm at the point I'm probably changing my transmog on my main once a week now. I don't have a problem farming up stuff I like but at the same time the more variety the better. The many different "costumes" that were available in Aion were my favorite part of that game, and I considered a few times buying the outfits from the store in GW2.

Absolutely not: This has become the bane of many games in existence.

I'd aprove of it, as long as each piece were sold separately and the whole set would not cost more than 10 bucks.

10 bucks for the whole set is ok, but 10 bucks because I liked the helm and only the helm is far too much.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I wouldn't mind it at all, they would look noobish in my eyes anyway like all the cash shop mounts and pets do after a while.

Deleted
    Vanity items that have no absolutely no actual in-game advantage?
    I can see that happening.

People getting upset because they spent time on their set, and now are no longer the coolest kid in town?
    I can also see that happening.

Still, if they would hire additional artists for these items, so that the game development would not slow down, I would encourage Blizzard to do this. More diversity and things to look out for! And the 291.394 people who would scream they will quit over this? We all know only 18 or 19 actually will, anyway...

Deleted
    I would not like it. I prefer to pay a subscription and have to play the game to get in-game items.

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to the idea since it's just an extension of the cosmetic pets and mounts you can buy now. I prefer having a way to go and hunt down the pieces in game myself, but if it was occasional, I'd be okay with it.

Like, if paladins got a Tyrael inspired transmog set in the Blizz store, I'd be so all over that in a heartbeat....

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do it, if you could buy the pieces individually and mix/match them with other outfits.

I know some people loathe it, but the colorful/creative outfits are one of the positive things about cash-shop style MMOs imo.