Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

5.2 Trial of the High King?

Anyone know what it is yet? Or has it not been put in yet?

too early to tell

Prove your worth to Varian by giving him a foot massage D:

honestly not a peep about it, it might even be hold til 5.3

Make sense for it to be at 5.3 knowing that something equally big will happen for the horde when Thrall confronts Garrosh.

Most likely scrapped. If it does come out its about showing how incompetent the other leaders are.

This is likely to be in 5.3 or 5.4 rather than a Mogu and Troll focused patch

Maybe you need to go kill High King Maulgar.

It seems like instead of just one quest chain about "Trials of the High King" it looks like they're splitting it up to several "events" across the various patches.

We saw the first "event" in the scenario of "A Little Patience." After all, "Trials of the High King" was about the rest of the Alliance leaders coalescing around Varian. At the end of "A Little Patience," Varian earns Tyrnade's respect. Even if I think Tyrande acts completely out of character in the scenario and its infuriating, the end of that scenario does do the thing the proposed "Trial of the High King" storyline outcome: One of the Alliance leaders supports Varian.

I have a strong feeling this "Trials of the High King" is just stretched out over the patches. With how 5.1 ends, I wouldn't be surprised if Velen was the next one.

It already started in 5.1 with Varian's landing in Pandaria and the a little patience scenario.

It was never going to be a big, in-your-face "this is the trial of the high king quest" with signposts and concentrated stand-alone plots. It is subtly spread out over the whole expansion. Every interaction that Alliance players will have with Varian is part of it.

The first trial was the trial of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It already started in 5.1 with Varian's landing in Pandaria and the a little patience scenario.

It was never going to be a big, in-your-face "this is the trial of the high king quest" with signposts and concentrated stand-alone plots. It is subtly spread out over the whole expansion. Every interaction that Alliance players will have with Varian is part of it.

The first trial was the trial of patience.
    Yes, I'm well aware of what's already happened. That's why the title says "5.2 Trial of the High King", not "When do the Trials start?".(It's in my nature to sound like a smartass, sorry) I am asking, what's going on with it in this next patch? There's no reason they can't show some more character from Varian in a troll/mogu patch with Jaina and him having their little role reversal and Jaina's Kirin'Tor leading the charge on the thunder king's isle.

Well if he does any of that, we don't know about it yet.
    There's still a lot of missing content though, it could well happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I have the feeling there are going to be more that 3 major content patches this time around?
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dybia View Post
    Anyone know what it is yet? Or has it not been put in yet?
    Who is High King???

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Velen this time.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Looks like Velen this time.
    Source? Link preferred.

15+ Year Old Account
    A human king "Conan"/"Wolverine", well-known for rage issues, teaches a 10000 year-old Night Elf high priestess patience. In the next patch, he will teach Velen faith, I'm telling you.

I can't remember what Blizz said about it, but somehow I doubt it's going to be a LITERAL trial/contest for the High King.

In that spirit, I like to think that the scenario "A Little Patience" was the first "trial" for Varian where he overcomes his warmongering impulsiveness and uses tactics instead of brute force to defeat an adversary.

We'll see how future events play out and what other trials lie ahead for the king.

Last I remember reading was Metzen saying that Varian had many trials to go through. As Totle stated, the scenario "A Little Patience" is the first trial, indicated somewhat by the dialogue Chi-Ji says at the start of it.

Tyrande Whisperwind says: We have them cornered inside the temple. We should strike now!
    King Varian Wrynn says: Things are rarely what they seem, Tyrande. And my son tells me this is a sacred place.
    Tyrande Whisperwind says: All the more reason to purify it.
    King Varian Wrynn says: They're defending a fixed position. I'm not going to play their game. We'll draw them out.
    Tyrande Whisperwind says: You are wasting precious time.
    King Varian Wrynn says: You three are my eyes and ears. Fan out! Prepare a defense!
    Chi-Ji says: A test! A trial of patience. Will the wolf behave as a warrior... or a King?

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    A human king "Conan"/"Wolverine", well-known for rage issues, teaches a 10000 year-old Night Elf high priestess patience. In the next patch, he will teach Velen faith, I'm telling you.
    Velen is over 25,000 years old and Anduin already taught him a lesson about living in the present. Blizzard is clearly making the point that just because you're old doesn't mean you know better than everyone else.

My great grandpa is about a hundred years old, does that mean I should take all of his negative opinions about black people to my heart? I mean he has a hundred years of life experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dybia View Post
    Velen is over 25,000 years old and Anduin already taught him a lesson about living in the present. Blizzard is clearly making the point that just because you're old doesn't mean you know better than everyone else.

My great grandpa is about a hundred years old, does that mean I should take all of his negative opinions about black people to my heart? I mean he has a hundred years of life experience.
    Yeah, but... not on this scale. I mean, 25000 years of life and constant personal communication with the most intelligent entities in universe combined with leadership over the entire race should mean he's got some experience. Or else, why ever bother learning anything when you can just wait for a random infant messiah to tell you what to do.

Yeah, I know that stupidity is open for all ages - some people just don't want to learn. But, an immortal dude isn't supposed to be... senile and stupid. As well as a ten millenia-old Night Elf. I kinda thought their general tactics involved well-timed precise strikes and ambushes, guerilla war and so on. But it seems that Night Elves are only good at charging blindly into the fray to be butchered by orcs and then saved by humans. Because humans are the main race. W40k got it all way better - humans had the superiority in numbers, and morale - because when Commissar says, you just go and die for the Emperor, burning filthy aliens, because it's the Krieg way.

I bet Blizzard can't even imagine that a troll (for example) can be a hero. Human should always prevail, period. Besides, we all know that Anduin is the new Mary Sue of Warcraft, so it's only normal if he survives decapitation, teaches Naaru compassion, and one-shots Sargeras with the power of his faith. After all, his father went through Onyxia's deep breath uncsathed and severed her 5-meter thick neck with a 1-meter long sword in a single blow. After traversing N'zoth knows how much of a distance in a single jump. Plot armor, plot weapons, plot superiority.
    Last edited by Haven; 2013-01-15 at 06:53 AM.