Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    actually it is double dipping even.

One of the best luxury taxes is the VAT. You consume more, you pay more VAT. Sure not every rhich man consumes more, but overall they tend to.

And this can easily backfire on us other people. Why and how? (theoretical story follows)
    Well there is this prick who happens to be CEO of my company, and hell he wants that sailing-yacht really bad.
    We did a good job last year and the profit was fine, so after some number crunching he could buy his boat.

If he would have been charged more, we would have had to work harder in order to get this done.

Still very theoretical and simple but i guess you see where i am going.
    most of the money the riches got, is earned by people like us. If we make them notice that it aint enough it is WE who got make up for the gap.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's common place for shops,supermarkets/whatever to charge more in affluent areas, I'm sure if it bothered them that much they could hop into their giant SUV's and drive 5 mins down the road and get a better deal. The rent alone for businesses in those sorts of areas is already incredibly high as it is, they'd be crazy to charge any less, there's no argument when you have choices as to where to take your business if the price doesn't suit.

These people knew exactly what to expect from businesses in these areas when they moved there in the first place.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Deleted
    Yes it is, the rich are rich because they stole the money from poor through profits, low wages, dividends, interests and other tools which are used to steal wealth from the working class.

10+ Year Old Account
    My answer: It depends.

I mean if you open a store and charge regular prices but you know that one rich guy so you charge him more, that's wrong. If you open a chain of stores and charge more for the same items in the one rich area sore, that's fine. Because then you aren't technically charging them more for being rich you're charging them more for the area. If a poor person were to walk into that specific store he'd be charged the same high price and if one of the rich people were to go to the same store in a different area he'd also be charged the same regular or low price.

I also think it's okay to do in markets, where prices are haggled. If someone looks rich it's fine to give them a higher price. If they can pay it they will and if they can't they'll haggle. I know from my mum who lived in Singapore, the markets there have three prices they give. One for the people living there, one for tourists and a third for American tourists. That's fine to me too, all three can haggle it down and the market people are perfectly willing to accept haggling it's just not many tourists can haggle properly.

You can negotiate an individual price in a lot of different stores and markets, need a new bicycle? Be a hard bargainer, you just saved money. New car? Same. New Boat? Same. A lot of prices and deals are negotiable. And the service sector is certainly no different.

Sure you can't really start to negotiate a different price for a liter milk at the local grocery store, because thats usually not a power the cashier hold, but there is a lot of other different situations when it's perfectly fine.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Yes, it is wrong. People having more does not mean that the state or companies should feel entitled to nick more of their stuff. That's jealousy talking, not rationality. And no, I'm not some rich fuck myself. I'm a student getting by on licking cornetto lids out of bins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Yes, it is wrong. People having more does not mean that the state or companies should feel entitled to nick more of their stuff. That's jealousy talking, not rationality. And no, I'm not some rich fuck myself. I'm a student getting by on licking cornetto lids out of bins.
    More purchasing power shared to the economy makes it more stable and healthier in general. Nothing to do with semantics about any individual's jealousy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Sure you can't really start to negotiate a different price for a liter milk at the local grocery store, because thats usually not a power the cashier hold, but there is a lot of other different situations when it's perfectly fine.
    From my store, you can't with the cashier but you can with the manager or manager of that section if you find or ask for them as long as you have a good reason for lowering the price (expiry date close or you're buying a lot of a certain item are the two main ones)

Like one guy comes in once a week early in the morning and looks for dairy products that have gone off that day (I think) then finds the dairy manager and he marks them down for him. So he ends up buying a bunch of frozen fish/icecream etc. Usually buys a full esky bag full of them and spends no more than $2 because each one got marked down to 10c or 20c depending (Since if the dairy manager found them, they'd have been removed and not sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Not illegal at all.

if it were, stores in wealthy neighborhoods wouldn't be allowed to charge more than in other neighborhoods. Yet they do.
    That's actually far different than this situation. Charging a person more for a service because they are rich is discrimination, charging more in one store versus another is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    That's jealousy talking, not rationality. And no, I'm not some rich fuck myself. I'm a student getting by on licking cornetto lids out of bins.
    haha no, it's just smart, it got nothing to do with jealousy, it has to do with maximizing profit.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    From my store, you can't with the cashier but you can with the manager or manager of that section if you find or ask for them as long as you have a good reason for lowering the price (expiry date close or you're buying a lot of a certain item are the two main ones)

Like one guy comes in once a week early in the morning and looks for dairy products that have gone off that day (I think) then finds the dairy manager and he marks them down for him. So he ends up buying a bunch of frozen fish/icecream etc. Usually buys a full esky bag full of them and spends no more than $2 because each one got marked down to 10c or 20c depending (Since if the dairy manager found them, they'd have been removed and not sold)
    We all have these anecdotal examples but you know yourself they really don't weight much.

Imagine going to a tourists resort and being charged double as much as locals for the same things, would you like that? It is immoral to charge more.

In many cases "rich" people will happily pay more for a well known company that has a great rumor, my grandparents are quite "up there" on money and they were redoing the walls (paint) and changing door frames on 6 doors and some other utility things and got an estimate from a company for 100k norwegian, then they asked around (my family has alot of construction workers etc) and got a known person that has his own company of 2 people + a trainee to do it for 65k. It would take a week or two longer to get it done but the job done is the same and the cost was almost half, I'm fairly certain that the first company priced up because of the furniture, age and general signs of wealth in my grandparents. It's not smart in any case if you want to get a job to try and milk the cow as they say, but some do fall for the trap and will settle with the first company's offer if they're well enough known.

Case and point, Apple and many prebuilt PC packages (lol Ailienware) is overpriced because they have a great reputation (and people look for easy buys).
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Imagine going to a tourists resort and being charged double as much as locals for the same things, would you like that? It is immoral to charge more.
    Are you sure we need imagination so much to create such a situation?

The writing says:

"whoever is in need of bread and cannot afford to pay for it, may take it for free!"

This is basically the same but in reverse, you could ask if they are being patronising or insulting to those with no money, in each case like this there will always be some sort of offending issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post

They usually mark things down here tbh, "extrapris"(discount), so those who want to spare a copper or two can look for that, you don't really ask for it(never done anything like that myself at least).

Like this ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Is it wrong to charge someone more for the exact same item or service just because they have a huge house and or $100K + car in the driveway?
    No.

Price is the point where the supply and demand curves meet. Demand curves are different for rich people than for poor, so it makes sense to charge different prices.

Isn't this the basics of capitalism? If you can get away with charging more, you do it. So in that sense you don't have to feel sorry for your customers. However, if you yourself don't feel that it's okay then don't charge extra. You'll earn less, but you'll keep your integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Price is the point where the supply and demand curves meet. Demand curves are different for rich people than for poor, so it makes sense to charge different prices.
    Like so.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-01-15 at 11:04 AM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    actually it is double dipping even.

One of the best luxury taxes is the VAT. You consume more, you pay more VAT. Sure not every rhich man consumes more, but overall they tend to.

And this can easily backfire on us other people. Why and how? (theoretical story follows)
    Well there is this prick who happens to be CEO of my company, and hell he wants that sailing-yacht really bad.
    We did a good job last year and the profit was fine, so after some number crunching he could buy his boat.

If he would have been charged more, we would have had to work harder in order to get this done.

Still very theoretical and simple but i guess you see where i am going.
    most of the money the riches got, is earned by people like us. If we make them notice that it aint enough it is WE who got make up for the gap.
    it´s like you´re happy because of not being treated bad so some dude can buy a boat ... yeah good for you?
    you do realize that we earn them money and your conclusion is to not tell them so we don´t have to work harder? so close, so close and i´m fairly certain, they know that allready
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Make progressive taxes and then make price discrimination illegal. Fund healthcare and other social services thru the increased taxes. Should remove the capitalistic assholism.