Thread: Free Will

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have no choice but to have free will.

Deleted
    If I don't have free will, then I'm pretty satisfied with this illusion of free will I have.

Our will is determined by our genes & environment (upbringing, friends etc). We aren't even born blank, we have genetic memory that we are born with; which limits the idea of having a free will.

It's complicated, but I think a good tl;dr for free will is: You have a free will within your own bounds, which essentially means free will is an illusion. But you can claim that you have personal free will to do will whatever you want. This also solves the question of why people can be so different.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Not really, while there is a lot of argument about free will or not, the second part is quite bs, our brain is shaped by experience, it would make different choices (unless you didnt learn, or those choices had good results) also you forget the simple factor of curiosity,
    If you could travel back 10 years and if everything was the same, you wouldn't have any memory of having lived 10 years later. Everything would happen exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    If you could travel back 10 years and if everything was the same, you wouldn't have any memory of having lived 10 years later. Everything would happen exactly the same.
    Agreed with this. The same person would always make the same decision under the exact same conditions. Our mental processes are simply neuro-chemical/electrical reactions that I believe can be broken down / explained / maybe even predicted someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    You can kill yourself. That is about as illogical and anti-nature as it gets. The ultimate expression of free will.
    I can, but do you think I would? If I did, I would have a reason to do so. So it becomes logical. There is ALWAYS a reason.

You cant know that, its am assumption.

Deleted
    Nature gave us a set of rules we had to follow. We could either go forward, backwards, right or left. We did that for a while, but then we went like *Nah*. So we built airplanes that could fly high up in the sky and drills who could drill far down into the earth. We didn't like the rules nature gave us, so we broke them. Now we can go up and down as well. Fuck logic, bro. Free will isn't given to us, we take it.

I can, but do you think I would? If I did, I would have a reason to do so. So it becomes logical. There is ALWAYS a reason.
    A reason in itself isn't logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

But reason doesn't preclude free will. I am not sure why you think it does. But even if you're 100% that reason precludes free will, you must agree that lunatics who have no reason have free will.

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser
    But we are ultimately controlled by nature, or god as some call it. Doesn't sound like free will to me
    The ability to commit suicide is the ultimate example that you are not controlled by nature.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2013-01-15 at 02:34 PM.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Agreed with this. The same person would always make the same decision under the exact same conditions. Our mental processes are simply neuro-chemical/electrical reactions that I believe can be broken down / explained / maybe even predicted someday.
    The ability to predict it will however allow you to change anything you want, which in turn void the predictions.
    Not to mention the humongous amount of variables and accidents and interactions that arent forseeable, and if we ever reach a point where it all becomes predictable, then honestly there is very little reason to live boring ass word.

The ability to predict it will however allow you to change anything you want, which in turn void the predictions.
    Not to mention the humongous amount of variables and accidents and interactions that arent forseeable, and if we ever reach a point where it all becomes predictable, then honestly there is very little reason to live boring ass word.
    You can already predict it in a way. If you have a lot of experience dealing with people, you find that most make the same decisions provided the same input.

Hell, the whole "science" of picking up girls relies on that.

That's because it would move the otherwise unconscious decision into the conscious.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you maybe watched steins gate there was a device called Time Leap Machine. In other words, you could transver your future memorys too your past self.

For example: A kid fails at tests, but he knows the questions. 1 week later he learns the ansvers too this questions and he transvers his memory 1 week back in time. He passes the test and the future is changed.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we stop having this argument about a week after the last Matrix movie came out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Didn't we stop having this argument about a week after the last Matrix movie came out?
    I don't think MMOC even existed when that movie came out.

Actually, I don't think most of the users on MMOC existed when that movie came out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I don't think MMOC even existed when that movie came out.
    MMO champ wasn't around in 2003?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    The ability to commit suicide is the ultimate example that you are not controlled by nature.
    Why? Nature doesn't care if I die. We just play by the rules of nature.