Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Full exotics cost me something like 15g and 42k Karma.
    And yet the grind is there, unlike what they said, if it's mandatory or not, that's just semantics.
    Jeez what did you get? I got a set of full exotics when I first got to 80 for much less than all that.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Jeez what did you get? I got a set of full exotics when I first got to 80 for much less than all that.
    Inflation is a bitch

... especially when open world rewards have seen nothing but nerfs since launch. Must be fun for new players actually needing to grind a bit to gear up at 80 now.

I doubt that. The basic level 80 crafted exotics are about 3 gold each piece, some a bit more, some a bit less and the rarer pieces are a lot more expensive. Karma exotics are 42k so 15 gold and 42k karma for 6 pieces sounds exactly the current price, there is no way to get it cheaper besides the various grinds (dungeons, farming mats and crafting etc).

You could get a set a bit cheaper by ordering it or the mats beforehand and waiting but that's about it.

EDIT: yeah, current prices, might have been much cheaper at first when gold was scarcer, but now 18 gold per set of armor is pretty much the standard price I expect to pay (and I buy a lot of armor sets for my various builds...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    I doubt that. The basic level 80 crafted exotics are about 3 gold each piece, some a bit more, some a bit less and the rarer pieces are a lot more expensive. Karma exotics are 42k so 15 gold and 42k karma for 6 pieces sounds exactly the current price, there is no way to get it cheaper besides the various grinds (dungeons, farming mats and crafting etc).

You could get a set a bit cheaper by ordering it or the mats beforehand and waiting but that's about it.

EDIT: yeah, current prices, might have been much cheaper at first when gold was scarcer, but now 18 gold per set of armor is pretty much the standard price I expect to pay (and I buy a lot of armor sets for my various builds...)
    Shhh let the man have his moment, it's ok that he payed 10 silver for an exotic to it's all the same to me since that gold came out of lvling.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    It's definitely not broken, in fact I'd say it's working exactly as intended.

... But the design intent is terrible and clearly had 0 forethought.

"Hmmm what do we do when 50 players are fighting this dragon and stack 243 bleeds on it?"

"Ehhh just cap it at 25. F**k Necromancers, no one likes them anyway."
    Yes because necromancer can only do bleeds right?, sigh, And if you go condition damage just make sure yours is stronger, and even at that, it's only in freaking big events like dragons that there is this cap anyway, i've seen it in dungeons a few times, but it is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    He isnt game bashing, he's stating facts. Anet has been saying the same thing over and over for months "we want to do this."

Guesting feature, for example, was supposed to be in at release. It wasnt, and many WvW players quit because of it (free transfers). Priestage path will be a nice addition..... but a little too late now to be honest, as any hardcore Wvw/RvR player has already decided on giving ESO a try.
    He actually is gamebashing but meh, i just love that moderators comes here and talk crap just because they can't do well in a game that requires skill instead of gear.

Also so many people whining about these FREE updates, major updates even, because 1 area of the game gets 1% less attention than another.

Inflation is a bitch

... especially when open world rewards have seen nothing but nerfs since launch. Must be fun for new players actually needing to grind a bit to gear up at 80 now.
    You don't have to do any grinding anything at all to get full exotic gear at level 80, karma and gold from events/hearts/gathering(which you do as you go anyway hopefully)Salvaging and so on, there is no grind if you don't want to, and you can still get exotics.
    Last edited by Salech; 2013-01-22 at 03:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inflation is a bitch

Or you know, he took the significantly cheaper route and made his own armor using the matts he got while leveling in addition to extras he needed to buy... It's a pretty simple concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    You don't have to do any grinding anything at all to get full exotic gear at level 80, karma and gold from events/hearts/gathering(which you do as you go anyway hopefully)Salvaging and so on, there is no grind if you don't want to, and you can still get exotics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Or you know, he took the significantly cheaper route and made his own armor using the matts he got while leveling in addition to extras he needed to buy... It's a pretty simple concept.
    Yes, I'm sure Johnny Newplayer, upon reaching level 80, was able to obtain:

296 Orichalcum Ore
    96 Ancient Wood Logs
    70 Globs of Ectoplasm
    74 Gossamer Scraps
    130 Spool of Gossamer Thread
    45 T6 crafting materials
    25 T6 gems

And/or was able to fill in what he was missing with gold. These numbers were not pulled from my ass, that's the actual mat cost for a full set of Draconic armor, exotic rings/earrings/amulet, and 3 weapons (2H and MH/OH from Weaponsmithing)

Now let's talk about Karma. I've leveled 6 characters to 80, all have been in the neighborhood of 15-40k karma upon reaching 80, completing their personal story, and 100% completing the 3 Orr zones (I'm a masochist, that's the only explanation). That means if you spend 0 karma and do all the events you can find, you might be able to buy one piece of armor.

The fact of the matter is you don't need a full set of exotics to be effective at 80, but you need to check what you're shoveling if you're going to say that when you hit 80 the path to being decked out in exotics requires no effort.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-22 at 07:24 PM.

Uh, lol? First of all, making 6 exotic insignias takes a TON of a particular and fairly rare item that drops in high level zones and you're very unlikely to spend enough time in those zones to even be able to make one insignia just out of the drops you got while leveling your first toon. You'll have to grind a TON of mobs that drop your set's item if you want to make a set out of your own drops.

Second of all, leveling most of the armor-making professions in this game is expensive enough that by the time you're even able to make level 80 exotics you'll have spent enough gold to buy a couple of exotics. Of course, you can grind the mats yourself by farming mobs, but we are talking about avoiding grinds (not to mention it would be a TON more efficient to just grind gold at level 80)... and no, you will not get anywhere near the materials to level a crafting profession just out of drops on the way to 80.

Crafting is amazingly useless for cost savings in this game because people use it for speed leveling and dump tons of crafted stuff for cheap on the AH to get some of the money back. I leveled tailoring and jewelery while leveling on my first char thinking that I'd get a gear set cheaper with that and I ended up level 80 with no money and not even maxed profs. Then I dumped some money in the professions so that I could make armor that cost more to make than to just buy off the auction house. On my second char I decided to forget crafting, just leveled, and found myself with enough gold and karma that I could have bought a full set of level 80 exotic armor AND trinkets right away after hitting 80 (if only the karma sets weren't rubbish)...

Of course, on the second toon I knew how to make money efficiently while leveling (eg salvaging soulbound personal quest line rewards for valuable sigils, not something at all obvious the first time), but still, crafting is a completely useless money sink for a first char in this game.

I find this hilarious, I've got 5 lvl 80s now and in total I have 12 exotic sets. Getting my first toon decked out in full exotics took one week max.
    For your lovely wood/ori BS I give you this: from gathering (only in orr) you can get 45ori ore/day/toon. If you get the mats you need you'll need to gather a maximum of 6days. That's 30min *6 = 180min or a whopping 3h, such a grind...

People also seem to be forgetting that if you do 3paths of any given dungeon you have enough emblems to buy any of the "cheap" armour items as well... Meaning it will take even less time (probably a day or 3) to get decked out in exotics. Granted you'll look like a picasso painting but if you want to look cool, that's when you grind.

I won't really quote anyone because it's just too much.

But one might have thought that Crafting (such as in many games) is usually a bad idea to start with. It's been so many years in WoW experiences where the starters ask what prof should they take, and the answer is always the same. Get 2 gathering and sell everything...you don't really get anything out of blacksmith anyways untill you hit max level, and then you have multiple choices to go on, including getting a blacksmith profession. You don't even need professions to gather in gw2. Ive used for a few exp boosts on my characters and I still find myself with plenty (bank is loaded with mats)

I think people also don't realize that crafting is a feature where you use the way you like it. Alot of people love the discovery part and crafting different stuff, so for one it's there for fun! Some use for a little exp boost...and so on.

And about the costs said by Drak. Yep they are there...it's not as much as you would like to show but there are costs. But if you don't have a bit of money, and some of those mats after playing 100% on 3 Orr zones you are probably playing a different game than I. 130 Spools of Goss might sound like the era of a grind, but you can buy that with 1g..

Yeah you don't need any of those items right away even...my ranger "full" exotic is still going with an gold axe for swap. There is a difference in effort and playing the game.

Jesus.

Let me do a quick search. You don't have to buy the CRAFTED exotics.

Helm: 1.5
    Coat: 2.2
    Shoulders: 1.4
    Leggings: 1.5
    Gloves 1.1
    Boots: 1.3
    GS: 3.5

I still have yellow rings

but the exotic for your basic parts comes out ~15 or so. And thank you to inflation! That's not a hard amount of money to farm. Go hit the oric points and do some events, it is going to take you around 2 days for the best gear you are going to see outside fractals. Yes you are going to pay more for the rings, but you can do literally all the content in the game without the exotics and only using rares, so no. There is not a gear gate in any meaningful use of the word.

And just as an aside, I have to ROFL at the guy who said I could just afford it because it was pre-inflation absolutely forgetting that inflation actually hits the things you sell just as much as the things you buy. Come on now. I make way more gold selling stuff than I ever did.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

296 Orichalcum Ore
    96 Ancient Wood Logs
    70 Globs of Ectoplasm
    74 Gossamer Scraps
    45 T6 crafting materials
    25 T6 gems

And/or was able to fill in what he was missing with gold. These numbers were not pulled from my ass, that's the actual mat cost for a full set of Draconic armor, exotic rings/earrings/amulet, and 3 weapons (2H and MH/OH from Weaponsmithing)

Now let's talk about Karma. I've leveled 6 characters to 80, all have been in the neighborhood of 15-40k karma upon reaching 80, completing their personal story, and 100% completing the 3 Orr zones (I'm a masochist, that's the only explanation). That means if you spend 0 karma and do all the events you can find, you might be able to buy one piece of armor.

The fact of the matter is you don't need a full set of exotics to be effective at 80, but you need to check what you're shoveling if you're going to say that when you hit 80 the path to being decked out in exotics requires no effort.
    i have just hit 30 on my first character. i already have about 25k karma and that is having cleared two zones (and made a start on another). i am also quite a long way behind on my personal story. so i would expect to be WAY beyond what you are getting for karma once i hit 80. are you deliberately playing in a way that avoids generating any karma?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted

296 Orichalcum Ore
    96 Ancient Wood Logs
    70 Globs of Ectoplasm
    74 Gossamer Scraps
    45 T6 crafting materials
    25 T6 gems

Since it was me you were talking about, this what i was talking about.

I had around 70k karma, just by running around doing stuff.
    I did level crafting about half way through or just past the silk stuff but then I got bored and decided to AH any mats that were worth anything.
    All the items that I bought were with gold since I never got a decent exotic from zone completion for my class,but I did get to sell a few heavy and medium exotics for quite a few pennies.

Also I'm the guy that said running around hunting for stuff felt grindy.

Someone above me was correct about not having exotic rings, just settled with yellow there. But I guess I can craft my one, since I have 250 of every ore and tons of mats ( never sold those).
    Last edited by mmoc94e579c637; 2013-01-23 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    i have just hit 30 on my first character. i already have about 25k karma and that is having cleared two zones (and made a start on another). i am also quite a long way behind on my personal story. so i would expect to be WAY beyond what you are getting for karma once i hit 80. are you deliberately playing in a way that avoids generating any karma?
    No, but to be fair I use food/boosters when I have them and try to speed level, and craft to 400 on at least one profession. My last few characters hit 80 somewhere around 40 hours playtime I believe. Also I'm assuming you're drinking your daily/monthly karma jug reward while I save them, which probably accounts for about 90% of that 25k if you're only level 30.

I think people are missing my point, even when it's in the quote they use... I'm not saying gearing is a significant grind, I'm not saying having exotics is even important, I'm just calling people out on their bullshit that exotics are easy to obtain (still not seen a single drop in 500 hours playtime), cheap, easy to craft, or whatever other erroneous comment they found up one of their orifices.

Open world rewards are also still shit, and I don't see how you could have more than about 5-6g by leveling normally to 80 unless you get amazingly lucky with drops.

Let me do a quick search. You don't have to buy the CRAFTED exotics.
    You also don't want to buy the cheapest exotic you find for a particular armor class, lest you end up with a useless combination of gear with no synergy and chock full of magic find. Would have been better off planning your build and buying the right rares.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    And about the costs said by Drak. Yep they are there...it's not as much as you would like to show but there are costs. But if you don't have a bit of money, and some of those mats after playing 100% on 3 Orr zones you are probably playing a different game than I. 130 Spools of Goss might sound like the era of a grind, but you can buy that with 1g
    Er, I'm not complaining about not being able to craft it for myself, or saying I don't have the mats, and I certainly have no shortage of gold (thanks, TP). Just pointing out the costs in the fairest way possible. But yeah, let's discuss the 130 of the item that is vendor bought instead of that little item in the middle of the list that says 70 Globs of Ectoplasm.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-23 at 02:35 PM.

Deleted

You also don't want to buy the cheapest exotic you find for a particular armor class, lest you end up with a useless combination of gear with no synergy and chock full of magic find. Would have been better off planning your build and buying the right rares.
    I actually went for MF , I found that there is a very small difference between affixes to be min-maxing.
    Last edited by mmoc94e579c637; 2013-01-23 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    I actually went for MF , I found that there is a very small difference between affixes to be min-maxing.
    This is wrong.

Also, exotics are very easy to obtain 70ecto isn't much at all. You should've gotten plenty of rares to salvage to begin with...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    This is wrong.

Also, exotics are very easy to obtain 70ecto isn't much at all. You should've gotten plenty of rares to salvage to begin with...
    What's wrong with magic find gear? It's power precision without the survival stat, which according to you is a useless stat anyway, might as well go for something that'll give you damage + better drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

What's wrong with magic find gear? It's power precision without the survival stat, which according to you is a useless stat anyway, might as well go for something that'll give you damage + better drops.
    If you're already in Exotics, why would you still need to be stacking magic find for better drops?

Of note, apparently my 6870 died on me completely and will be missing the (yawn) January update, most likely the February one too (which will soon enough be telling us to temper our hopes, it's not "that big"). Maybe back in time for March's or April's for when we can start to see some of this "expansion sized worthy content that's so awesome especially because it's free"?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

What is wrong is his statement. "there is a small difference between mf gear and other gear when min-maxing."
    There's quite a significant difference due to how power/prec/crit scale. You lose the most important stat (crit) when you grab the equivalent mf gear.

If he simply said "I rock mf gear since It's still ok dmg while giving me slightly better drops" I would agree, but stating mf vs berserker doesn't matter from a min-maxing standpoint is simply wrong.