Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    I will try to elaborate one more time. Hate does not equal to dislike. For the sake of logic, please do not throw accusations around if something is not the way you see it. I said nothing about hate. Thrall is my favorite character (favorite means i like him most) in WoW universe, and undoubtly the best written one (compared to others), in my opinion. But that has nothing to do about my other opinion about him going all Green Jesus. I did not like the way they did this. And i strongly believe there could have been a better conclusion to the story with other characters as well. That does not mean i outright hate Thrall. Horde favoritism is something else to debate on, i will not go that way for the sake of not ruining OP's thread. On the other hand, about great characters and stuff they do, i want to give you one simple example: Do you remember who is Khadgar? Have any ideas what he did past 7 years? Nothing? A huge nothing that is. Danath Trollbane? Come on. Those guys are legends, i mean real legends. Refer to WC2. And Khadgar sits there, licking A'dal's boots for the last 3 expansions, and before that he was a mere quest giver. Those two are only exapmles to keep this post short. There are A LOT of other well developed characters Metzen wasted for the sake of Thrall. And only after a millenia of people crying on the forums, Blizzcons and whatnot, pleading for attention for their favorite (or simply liked) characters, Metzen accepted the fact that Thrall took too much of the spotlight. I mean, after 8 years or something. Come on, i am an aging living being. I can not wait my entire life for Metzen to turn his glorifying gaze towards other characters. Did he really say he liked Malfurion? Hahah (I used to like him too, when he was actually doing something, back in WC3).
    You strongly believe that there could have been a better conclusion? That's your reason for disliking what Thrall has become, despite no real change to him as a character, merely his position in life? And calling him "Green Jesus" is a very derogatory term. If you don't hate him, why are you using it? You're essentially saying "Yeah I love this guy, but he's an asshole and should get the fuck out of my sight."

And what did any of these characters have to do with the elements, which was a big theme of Cataclysm? If you don't understand the concept of characters being appropriately used in certain situations, then please stop this. I more than anyone would love to see Khadgar, Turalyon, and that whole lot more, but much of the story has not really had a call for them. Having them come back after the conflicts of Mists simmer down would, at least in my opinion, be a good point. It provides conflict, as I'm sure many of them would be against the Horde still, and yet if they see a new peace (even tentative, which is what I'm expecting), they will have to deal with such. Again, however, Thrall has been set up for years to be the guy to save the day during the Cataclysm. If you can't see that, I'm not sure how my words will get through to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Notamonk View Post
    I haven't had much time to think about it; but I was thinking something along the lines of the captain of the ship (yet to be named) receives word of allot of Horde activity *insert direction of Pandaria* of their current location and they're requested to scout the area and *insert mysterious fog and crash into pandaria*.
    If your character's not supposed to initially join the military, why is he on a military vessel? That would be the only kind of ship to set off from Stormwind looking for the Horde... also, if he's already out in the open sea, how did he get the message? radios don't exist in warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Notamonk View Post
    John wakes up and finds himself on a beach shrouded by large over hanging trees and exotic plant life that he has never seen before; still in shock over what had just happened he blindly yells for help and for the other crew members of the ship. Unaware of who or what was listening to his cries for help.

Not but moments later he noticed something from the corner of his eye moving the leaves atop the strange plant life; unaware of what it could be John steadily rose to his feet kneeling in the sand and slowly lifting himself stumbling back and forth almost as if he was in a drunken stupor. John cried to the being in the tree top "Please... help me." John quickly fell back down and began to black out. As he was blacking out going in and out of consciousness he noticed something.. a large powerful looking being launch it self towards John. When the creature made impact with the beach beside John he blacked out from the sheer force of the landing.
    This part I like, and it's a well-done aftermath... but I do agree with Khor that the backstory of this whole mess really hinges on the implementation of how your character actually goes near enough Pandaria to crash.

Hnnng I know I can't figure out a logical/lore appropriate way to get him to Pandaria! Maybe if the Alliance naval ship that was sent to Theramore to "look" for survivors was actually just there for obligatory/political reasons just to say "yea we checked and their all dead", but are really on a scouting mission to look for Horde vessel's because there have been reported sightings of them *insert direction of Pandaria* and end up finding John and bringing him along (I mean there really is no reason to not bring him; not like they're going to just leave him there to die).

I don't know maybe something like that might work!?!

Maybe the warship picked up survivors but was then caught en route before Stormwind and was messaged/signaled to immediately turn to Pandaria, for locating Anduin or sth like that. Maybe you even were a blind passanger since you couldn't afford the passage and all refugee ships were full? And the marines figure "if he can sneak on a war vessel, he can be a scout maybe?" Just an idea though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    ...but much of the story has not really had a call for them. Again, however, Thrall has been set up for years to be the guy to save the day during the Cataclysm.
    "After Ner'zhul reopened the portal to Azeroth, his forces were approached by Deathwing. He offered his own children for assistance in exchange for safe passage to Draenor. They agreed and Deathwing helped them prepare for several key battles to steal two artifacts from the Alliance in order for Ner'zhul's newly reformed Horde to create new portals to other worlds. They then fled back to the Dark Portal to Draenor. Deathwing believed the world would be a relatively safe haven for his offspring and secreted away a cache of black dragon eggs there. While at his great mountain lair, he was attacked by the forces of the Alliance Expedition, who destroyed several of his eggs.[8] Deathwing was temporarily defeated but survived. " Wowpedia.org. There is much more ties of DW to human kingdoms and their lore figures, dating back to second war, then Thrall.

Do you realise what you are saying? 'The story' is not something that thinks on its own and writes itself down, it is being decided and written by Metzen. You know, the very same Metzen that personalises as Thrall in WoW. It is not that hard to see the connection here now, is it? If Metzen would have liked to write the damned story about White Khadgar and his fabulous deeds with 4 gnomes, an elf and a dwarf, also with 2 human knights, we would all be playing it. But he rather decided to turn his efforts on Green Jesus. Thrall was set up to be the warchief in WC3, not the world shaman. And he was warchief up untill late WOTLK. Metzen decided to save the world with Thrall probably somewhere in WOTLK when they started working on Cataclysm. So no, he was not set up for that role for years. He was changed at leisure. But that is what my guess is. If it is wrong, that still supports my idea even further that Thrall had more spotlight then he should have, because it means Metzen has spent years to prepare his avatar to become Green Jesus, instead of giving some more justified development to other lore figures. It is not that hard to understand this while you are stating this with your very own sentences (better than me) and yet you still argue the opposite.

On Thrall's character development; i liked him better when he was warchief, he could have gone through all the trouble of firelands questline, getting married and having children, and even retiring for Garrosh. He did not need to go all Green Jesus for his character development, he was already an accomplished and trustworthy character with plenty of areas open for development.
    Last edited by Mengucekli; 2013-01-16 at 06:42 PM.

Like I said, if you can't understand what I've been saying, I won't waste my time trying to educate you. If you ever want to even try and debate this sort of thing with me again, please learn your lore. Lord of the Clans (published in 2001). Read it.

Now let's keep the thread purely on Monk's character concept please.

Quote Originally Posted by xMexyragosX View Post
    Lol. Alliance screwing over Horde... which faction mana-bombed Theramore again.. ? Yeah. We did. >
    oh noes! are you gonna go after goldshire next? or maybe you have another irrelavent target.
    BTW how's all the business in Dal going lately?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Like I said, if you can't understand what I've been saying, I won't waste my time trying to educate you. If you ever want to even try and debate this sort of thing with me again, please learn your lore. Lord of the Clans (published in 2001). Read it.

Now let's keep the thread purely on Monk's character concept please.
    Your attitude is sickening and insulting. Do not reply on people if you do not want to debate something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    Your attitude is sickening and insulting. Do not reply on people if you do not want to debate something.
    It's not worth my time to try and convince you of something that you are in complete denial of. That's really it. If you really knew what you were talking about, you'd never say that Thrall wasn't set up to be the world's most powerful shaman, nor say that he was set up to be warchief in Warcraft III (Hint: read the book. Seriously. You'll learn a LOT). In fact even your idea of Metzen raising Thrall to become the world's most powerful shaman in Cataclysm is flawed because he already WAS the world's most powerful shaman even back in Warcraft III! If you actually knew Thrall's lore you'd know that.

Nor, do I think, you understand how writing within as large of a fantasy world as Warcraft works. It's not just one guy calling the shots. If you think that Metzen is the end-all voice of Warcraft lore, you're sadly mistaken. Nor would you be right in claiming that the whole debacle in Cataclysm - and 4.3 especially - was his fault (Hint: Find out who made Deathwing (and all the Aspects, really) and you'll see where you can start to place a bit of blame). Thrall has undoubtedly been one of the biggest characters in Warcraft. If you think he had too much spotlight, that's fine, but calling him "Green Jesus" is disgusting.

I'm all for debating this topic, as are MANY people, I assure you. But you obviously do not know the lore that revolves around Thrall and if you don't know that lore, it's impossible for us to have a true discussion... but if you would like to try regardless, make a new thread, and I will gladly jump into the conversation. Either do that, or drop the topic from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    oh noes! are you gonna go after goldshire next? or maybe you have another irrelavent target.
    BTW how's all the business in Dal going lately?
    Oh, God... No! We couldn't mana-bomb Goldshire. That's just... no. Even Garrosh couldn't do that. :P

Uhm, regarding Monk's character concept... pssssshhheeew. Where to start. I like the general idea, and the little "story post" you did ..

(John wakes up and finds himself on a beach shrouded by large over hanging trees and exotic plant life that he has never seen before; still in shock over what had just happened he blindly yells for help and for the other crew members of the ship. Unaware of who or what was listening to his cries for help.
    Not but moments later he noticed something from the corner of his eye moving the leaves atop the strange plant life; unaware of what it could be John steadily rose to his feet kneeling in the sand and slowly lifting himself stumbling back and forth almost as if he was in a drunken stupor. John cried to the being in the tree top "Please... help me." John quickly fell back down and began to black out. As he was blacking out going in and out of consciousness he noticed something.. a large powerful looking being launch it self towards John. When the creature made impact with the beach beside John he blacked out from the sheer force of the landing.
    ).

Uh, I honestly couldn't say too much more because of the lack of detail. Of course I understand why this is the case, so I think I'll wait until you have more on it, then I'll read it and give an opinion. I just don't want to say anything more right now, and then having to change my opinion or something like that... just precaution. It does honestly look like a pretty well thought-out concept, though, minus a few illogical details (recieving word of Horde activity while out at sea, unless a messenger bird or something managed to find and reach them somehow, lol.).
    Anyway, keep up the good work!
    Last edited by xensorlol; 2013-01-16 at 07:01 PM.
    Pyromaniac protégé.

Quote Originally Posted by xMexyragosX View Post
    Oh, God... No! We couldn't mana-bomb Goldshire. That's just... no. Even Garrosh couldn't do that. :P

Uhm, regarding Monk's character concept... pssssshhheeew. Where to start. I like the general idea, and the little "story post" you did ..

(John wakes up and finds himself on a beach shrouded by large over hanging trees and exotic plant life that he has never seen before; still in shock over what had just happened he blindly yells for help and for the other crew members of the ship. Unaware of who or what was listening to his cries for help.
    ).

Uh, I honestly couldn't say too much more because of the lack of detail. Of course I understand why this is the case, so I think I'll wait until you have more on it, then I'll read it and give an opinion. I just don't want to say anything more right now, and then having to change my opinion or something like that... just precaution. It does honestly look like a pretty well thought-out concept, though, minus a few illogical details (recieving word of Horde activity while out at sea, unless a messenger bird or something managed to find and reach them somehow, lol.).
    Anyway, keep up the good work!
    Haha yea after reading over it I /facepalmed and realized how silly it sounded getting a message out at sea. I'm at work right now so I was just spit balling while I was listening to voicemails and just kept typing! xD lol