FPS Fluctuating Oddly.

Hey guys. I just rebuilt my system, threw in a blu ray burner, a Corsair h100 self loop water cooler, and had good results.

Before, my fps was constant, and not restricted. After my rebuild, my PC runs for 60 fps (Frame limiter) then it lowers back down to 30. Something is making it fluctuate uncontrollable to 30-60. 60, then 30. I sit on the character log in screen, and it just sits there and goes up and down up and down. Without me doing anything.

I tested Battlefield 3, I don't think this problem is present.

I5 2500k @4.5 ghz
    16gb ram @ 1600 mhz
    Evga GTX 580 OC/ 797/1594

What gives?

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 08:51 AM ----------

Actually, it looks like it's Skype doing it. I closed it and constant 60 fps. But before, it ran just fine.. at 60 with Skype open. I need Skype for my work. @_@

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 09:20 AM ----------

Alright so it turns out it's not Skype after all, but it seems to be a verticle sync issue. When I turn off verticle sync, it stop fighting between 30-50 fps. When I turn it on, it goes from 50, back down to 30, to 50 back and forth. It never used to do this. Any ideas?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post
    Hey guys. I just rebuilt my system, threw in a blu ray burner, a Corsair h100 self loop water cooler, and had good results.

Before, my fps was constant, and not restricted. After my rebuild, my PC runs for 60 fps (Frame limiter) then it lowers back down to 30. Something is making it fluctuate uncontrollable to 30-60. 60, then 30. I sit on the character log in screen, and it just sits there and goes up and down up and down. Without me doing anything.

I tested Battlefield 3, I don't think this problem is present.

I5 2500k @4.5 ghz
    16gb ram @ 1600 mhz
    Evga GTX 580 OC/ 797/1594

What gives?

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 08:51 AM ----------

Actually, it looks like it's Skype doing it. I closed it and constant 60 fps. But before, it ran just fine.. at 60 with Skype open. I need Skype for my work. @_@

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 09:20 AM ----------

Alright so it turns out it's not Skype after all, but it seems to be a verticle sync issue. When I turn off verticle sync, it stop fighting between 30-50 fps. When I turn it on, it goes from 50, back down to 30, to 50 back and forth. It never used to do this. Any ideas?

If you have vertical sync on, it simply matches the FPS's for the game to the monitor refesh rate settings. If you want to set the frame limiter on 60 fps, make sure the monitor refesh rate is set to 60hz if you have vertical sync on. Not saying this is the solution, but it is good practice to do anyway. And for gaming, a lot of programs running in the background can be resource thiefs.