Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Wouldn't matter b/c the same 10 thousand people would fight tooth and nail how it is justified, spend their money on it, demand that everyone else spend their money on it, then spend even more money in the Cartel Market.

Teaching the bad dog BiowarEA that biting the hand that feeds you will get you more treats! Pavlov is rolling in his grave.
    I have seen people defend it. I have yet to see anyone demand that you spend YOUR money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    You're not reading what people are writing.

A few in this thread sarcastically joked about whether or not BioWare would charge for the patch.

Kitty responded that if BioWare had charged for the patch, an act which would be condemned in almost any game, that there would be fans who would defend that decision and find a way to rationalize it.

Nobody in the thread has said that BioWare should charge for the patch. Please read.
    I read exactly what he wrote. If he is trying to get a different meaning off he needs to write it better. People defend the game sure. But i have yet to see someone tell someone else they must spend their money on it.

I'm glad you have more patience than me. I should just hire you to be my PR person.

Also:

Is it really going a bit far? I guess it's easier to pretend like the 'sub or gtfo' mentality doesn't exist. To live in the land of unicorns that poop puppy rainbows... *sigh*
    Sub or gtfo =/= You have to buy/pay this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    I'd quit if that ever came to pass. If paying for a sub meant I also had to pay for patches I'd stop doing the former.

I'll tolerate Makeb (just) but if future raids/warzones and events became coins only? I'd be off playing swgemu tbh.
    Actually, I think the point he was getting at was that the only content patches they'll put into the game would be items for the Cartel Market, not actual content. I doubt that it WILL happen, but it definitely COULD happen.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I have seen people defend it. I have yet to see anyone demand that you spend YOUR money on it.
    Open your eyes.

I read exactly what he wrote. If he is trying to get a different meaning off he needs to write it better. People defend the game sure. But i have yet to see someone tell someone else they must spend their money on it.
    Considering that several people had no problems getting the exact meaning, I think you might want to look inwards for the problem. You are the only one who doesn't seem to get it.

And then you close with:
    Sub or gtfo =/= You have to buy/pay this game.
    So you're claiming the sentence before that people don't tell you to spend your money, then you follow up by admitting that people say you have to pay to play the game. Well....now I see why you are having such a hard time with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open your eyes.
    As I have said I haven't seen a post. If you would be so kind as to quote one.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Actually, I think the point he was getting at was that the only content patches they'll put into the game would be items for the Cartel Market, not actual content. I doubt that it WILL happen, but it definitely COULD happen.
    Think its more as to meet their so called 6 week content cycle that some of them will be cartel market patches only. So as a sub you get absolutely nothing from the patch without spending coins.

So as a sub instead of getting 6 week patches your getting 12 or 18 week patches. But hey the games getting patches right

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 08:32 PM ----------

1. Events are available to Free-to-Play Players and Subscribers at no additional cost. Visit the Free-to-Play Features Chart for more information. We can infer that that implies that free players will have access to the area with that event (which they already do), and will be able to partake in it. That's pulled directly from the update page.

2. There was no charge for prior patches, nor any indication that they would charge for individual patches.

Granted we don't have any word on free player access to the new rep system, but I would be super surprised if they did charge it.
    Lets add in the words that they omitted.

1. Events are available to Free-to-play players (at a small cost) and Subscribers at no additional cost. Visit the Dree-to-play Features Chart for more information.

Now to break it down. Why separate F2P and Subs and not just say available to all.
    Now why did they say for subs at no additional cost. By that wording there is a cost somewhere isnt there and so it must be to the F2P players.
    Now why even mention the F2P chart for further information if this event is free for everyone.

2. Correct there were no charges for prior patches. Maybe I should log onto my account again and go into section X. I can right? (for free). In other words they will not charge for the patch but charge for you to access the area. Then probable charge again to equip the gear that you can get from there. (for F2P players).

How can you say you wouldnt be suprized if they charged for the rep system but then think the Ilum thing they wont? This is EA remember. Whats the quote. About ammo and BF?

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 08:34 PM ----------

"Sub or gtfo =/= You have to buy/pay this game."

Dont remember who said it though. Maybe you would know

The people bringing up sub/ gtfo are the very same which are telling you how to spend your money and again the same which will call you stupid that you spend the money the way you like it though they seem to be blind to that and while they blame "others" to be these people, it really is just them.

It's kinda theatrically:

Person A: Did you just call me a racist?

Person B: Excuse me?

Person A: Yeah you just called me a racist didn't you.... hey guys... this one over here is calling me a racist.

Person B: I didn't say anythink like that... in fact I wasn't even speaking to you.

Person A: stfu u racist..

Quote Originally Posted by katta View Post
    2. Correct there were no charges for prior patches. Maybe I should log onto my account again and go into section X. I can right? (for free). In other words they will not charge for the patch but charge for you to access the area. Then probable charge again to equip the gear that you can get from there. (for F2P players).

How can you say you wouldnt be suprized if they charged for the rep system but then think the Ilum thing they wont? This is EA remember. Whats the quote. About ammo and BF?
    EA/ Bioware wants you to sub, just like any game with a F2P option though they want it too much. However, things like unlocking gear/ restricting endcontet etc. isn't coming from EA, they just copied it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joveth on the cartel outfit mixups:

In Game Update 1.7 (which should be going live in the next month or so), we are going to offer versions of the aforementioned outfits as they appeared before the 1.6.2 changes in addition to the current versions that appear in the Cartel Market Packs. Players will be able to obtain (via Cartel Packs) both the “Classic” (pre 1.6.2) versions of the outfits and the current versions (post 1.6.2).
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    EA/ Bioware wants you to sub, just like any game with a F2P option though they want it too much. However, things like unlocking gear/ restricting endcontet etc. isn't coming from EA, they just copied it.
    Correct, they copied the gear restrictions from the most restrictive freemium model out there. A model that even the developers who implemented it are moving away from (not in DCUO, they removed it from Vanguard).

One would normally assume that games make an attempt to make some progress with their models and improve upon existing ones rather than copy and provide even more restrictions.

Is this the patch when they make Commandos/Mercs viable in WZs? And not just leap magnets? Or is that coming in like patch 9.1?

Correct, they copied the gear restrictions from the most restrictive freemium model out there. A model that even the developers who implemented it are moving away from (not in DCUO, they removed it from Vanguard).

One would normally assume that games make an attempt to make some progress with their models and improve upon existing ones rather than copy and provide even more restrictions.
    I'm not sure but EQ2 still has it and there you couldn't even wear your achieved violet gear (which is a point if you go from subscriber to prefered). The only way they'll change anything is when people actually just ignore it. Those who, for example, bought that crappy re-skinned Life Day speeder are supporting the believe that it's enough to implement this crap waaaaaaaay overprized.

Hopefully they will loose the restrictions for F2P and Prefered Player more and more though I think developer are too scared to less restrictions as this would mean that meaningfull quality content is getting even more important to make people subscribe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by katta View Post
    "Sub or gtfo =/= You have to buy/pay this game."

Dont remember who said it though. Maybe you would know
    I'm not sure what you are tryin to say here? You do know =/= means "does not equal"

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 09:50 AM ----------

The people bringing up sub/ gtfo are the very same which are telling you how to spend your money and again the same which will call you stupid that you spend the money the way you like it though they seem to be blind to that and while they blame "others" to be these people, it really is just them.

It's kinda theatrically:

Person A: Did you just call me a racist?

Person B: Excuse me?

Person A: Yeah you just called me a racist didn't you.... hey guys... this one over here is calling me a racist.

Person B: I didn't say anythink like that... in fact I wasn't even speaking to you.

Person A: stfu u racist..

So why is it so hard for someone to provide a quote of someone saying you need to spend your money on SW:TOR. Thats all I'm asking, provide one and I will shut up about it.

I'm not sure but EQ2 still has it and there you couldn't even wear your achieved violet gear (which is a point if you go from subscriber to prefered). The only way they'll change anything is when people actually just ignore it. Those who, for example, bought that crappy re-skinned Life Day speeder are supporting the believe that it's enough to implement this crap waaaaaaaay overprized.

Hopefully they will loose the restrictions for F2P and Prefered Player more and more though I think developer are too scared to less restrictions as this would mean that meaningfull quality content is getting even more important to make people subscribe.
    EQ2 still has gear restrictions, so you can't use Legenday, Fabeled or Mythic gear if you are a free or preferred player. They do have unlocks for it, but it's a per-item unlock at a lowish price so would (I think) be of a similar price to SWTOR's unlock price if you equipped 1-2 sets of fabeled/higher gear. They did the same thin in Vanguard with uncommon gear, but removed that restriction a month or two ago. Currently the only games that flat out restrict the quality of gear you can equip (that I know of), are EQ2 and SWTOR.

And the only way to get BW to change something is to pitch an unholy shitstorm and complain till your eyes explode. That's what caused them to increase the number of action bars and character slots for preferred players, that's what caused them to increase the FP/WZ limit for free players, and that's what's causing them to continue loosening restrictions. Thoughtful feedback was provided on these things during testing, but it wasn't until they had an unholy shitstorm of complaints from the broader playerbase that they actually moved on it. That's not specific to BW though, complaints on that scale are the primary motivator for a lot of changes in games. Simply ignoring it won't change anything, and actively supporting it...yeah, that kinda reinforces poor behavior (which is why I still haven't spent money in the cash shop despite my desire to do so).

I'd love to see the restrictions loosened up more as well. Honestly, I think they can't figure out enough "value added" incentives for subscribers and a way to deliver them enough bang for their buck to loosen them up too much. Rather than the positive "value added" approach that games like TSW and Tera took for their subscription offers (two other games that have recently made/will make the transition), they took the EQ2 "value reduced" model for free players. In this day and age, I seriously question the wisdom of that decision and the competence of a developer that continues to take that approach with the current state of the market.

I'm hoping that 1.7 will be delivered, in its entirety, to free players as well as subscribers and will provide some awesome content (though I'm very skeptical at this point), because I'd really like to see the game move into a positive direction and generate some good-will outside of the hardcore fanbase.

Deleted
    I still find 1.7 the most F2P friendly patch. They give them some stuff to do without forcing them to subscibe or pay a week's ticket. BW has screwed this game really hard, I still love it but on the same time I lament for its lost potential.

Let's hope that it would get better while BW takes steps (even baby steps) on making it better

Quote Originally Posted by kalamitis View Post
    I still find 1.7 the most F2P friendly patch. They give them some stuff to do without forcing them to subscibe or pay a week's ticket. BW has screwed this game really hard, I still love it but on the same time I lament for its lost potential.

Let's hope that it would get better while BW takes steps (even baby steps) on making it better
    I deleted one of my F2P accounts already. Will probably do the same with the other one too. The no mail is the killer. Down to just my Preferred now. Plus with being able to buy character slots now, it makes more sense.

Will Preferred and F2P need the event equipment unlock to use items from here?

Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    I deleted one of my F2P accounts already. Will probably do the same with the other one too. The no mail is the killer. Down to just my Preferred now. Plus with being able to buy character slots now, it makes more sense.

Will Preferred and F2P need the event equipment unlock to use items from here?
    Wait F2P can't get mail? o.O How do they buy anything off the GTN or sell anything on there for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Wait F2P can't get mail? o.O How do they buy anything off the GTN or sell anything on there for that matter?
    F2P can receive mail, not send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ah ok, thanks gamz247
    Yes, can't send mail. Which, with 1 crafting profession and not being able to mail crafting material or crafted items between the 2 accounts.......made continuing the account pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    Yes, can't send mail. Which, with 1 crafting profession and not being able to mail crafting material or crafted items between the 2 accounts.......made continuing the account pointless.
    Well, you could've bought a Crew Skill Assignment Slot or two on the Cartel Market or the GTN. Not ideal, obviously, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    Well, you could've bought a Crew Skill Assignment Slot or two on the Cartel Market or the GTN. Not ideal, obviously, but possible.
    Those usually sell for more than the credit cap for F2P. Honestly, giving F2P 1 crew skill was idiotic. You can't even test out crafting with 1 profession. Unless you like to right click on a resource node.