Poll: How should "elder" forum members be treated?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Regarding any forum/s] Respect of "elders" or "high-achievers" on forums.

Note, this isn't about any website/forum in particular, just curious as to what your opinions are.

To expand on what I mean in the title: Do you think members who have been around way longer, or have sustained a good record/post count should be respected by newer members. I know there are a lot of new members who are very nice people, but there are the odd ones out.

Ok, I'll be honest. It happened on another website. Some new person who lacked so so so much grammar and sentence structuring, was snide, and disobeyed the forum rules in their first 3 posts (posted their email address, and even complained when the mod's told them that they remove email addresses for safety and privacy reasons). To not go into detail, someone said something without proof other than their own words, then this new person posted something saying what the first person said was a lie, also without any proof. I told them the person is long gone (hadn't been on in a year), and they necro'd a 1 year old thread with 5 posts in a row.

They replied back all antsy, even more snide, and mocked my username.
    ----

I don't mean to make this sound like a "I'm older than your, RESPECT ME!" frump n' grump, but hopefully it won't pass as that.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Respect is earned not given.

The last thing I'm going to do (as in not at all) when responding to a post is look at the person's post count.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-01-15 at 11:14 AM.

Deleted
    A little maybe.. I tend to respect people with very low post account (less than 20-40) less than those with more simply because they could be trolls, flamers or otherwise. If they have above that, it means they've actually behaved themselves well enough and haven't got banned. But above 50, it doesnt matter any more.

As for age, I guess both.. their age does influence how I see them (but only if they give their age openly, I dont click on their name or ask it to see how old they are). If they're actually respectable then yes, I respect them more if they're older. If they act immature and entitled, they get the "you're 25+, 30+, 40+, grow up already.." reaction and I tend to respect them less than someone younger who acted this way.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post

The last thing I'm going to do (as in not at all) when responding to a post is look at the person's post count.
    This.

I mean, people who have been around longer and posted a lot are obviously going to be more experienced, but it should in no way decide what to think about them, or what they post.

If someone's new and they're disrespectful towards older members, just ask them to stop, or if they break the rules, warn or infract them. Rude and/or disrespectful people are not welcome anywhere.

I think we have a contender against bergtau's thread for most onesided poll... although it is a bit early to say

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    A little maybe.. I tend to respect people with very low post account (less than 20-40) less than those with more simply because they could be trolls, flamers or otherwise. If they have above that, it means they've actually behaved themselves well enough and haven't got banned. But above 50, it doesnt matter any more.

As for age, I guess both.. their age does influence how I see them (but only if they give their age openly, I dont click on their name or ask it to see how old they are). If they're actually respectable then yes, I respect them more if they're older. If they act immature and entitled, they get the "you're 25+, 30+, 40+, grow up already.." reaction and I tend to respect them less than someone younger who acted this way.
    I should've mentioned been around longer, as in they've been on the site longer :P Not how old they are irl.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Who cares, honestly? Length of time being around is irrelevant to the quality of what a person is saying.

I look at the arguments presented rather than who is presenting them and try to let that be what I reply to.

Deleted
    If it would matter we'd have nothing but post counts to be discussed about in the end.

Deleted
    Post count is clearly a sign of superiority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall, I care little about post count; it really isn't a coherent way to judge someones presentation abilities. You can have people who have reached high post counts by constantly spamming 1-2liners and barely contributing to the conversation. Then you have posters like Endus, who have a high post count due to a large number of well thought out and detailed posts. Quantity is hardly a measure of quality.

I do tend to remember individual posters, however, and occasionally my knowledge of them influences whether or not it is worth it to respond to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most other message boards I've used don't even track post count so it's not really something I pay any attention to. Just because you have more posts doesn't mean your posts are better.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Respect is Earned, Mods are there for everyone's benefit, Post count is just a number.
    I don't judge people on their spelling, Their post count, The content of the posts, the avatar, the signature, or if they are a mod or not.
    Everyone has a right to say what ever they want withing the guidelines of the forum rules, Some times people have good days and make quality post's, they might have a bad day or be in a rush and the spelling in the post goes to shit. We are all people we all have our foibles and others should just deal with them.

Deleted
    No. My 2.5k post count doesn't make me better than anyone else on this forum, it just means I procrastinate too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I tend to judge posters by what they actually post, rather than the number underneath their forum name.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    I don't get the corelation between post count and respect? What if all I did was have 6000 posts of funny pictures and I'd be a jerk and in my other posts all i did was insult people? I'd have more posts then most people, do I demand respect?
    No, respect is given based on the content of the posts, not on the number of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to treat everyone equally until given a reason to do otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because I have six million posts doesn't make me any better than anyone else.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post

Pretty much this. Post counts can be inflated, so it doesn´t state a whole lot. However new people need to learn how things go before they go acting like owning the place. Personally I wouldn´t respect someone unless/until there was a reason for doing so, and most of the time that really involves meeting someone in person.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither high nor low post count have anything to do with the quality of a person's posts. You can't force someone to respect you anyways.