Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Raiding with friends or raiding for progress? How do YOU chose?

Here is the question: What is the basis upon with who you raid based? Do you raid with friends, with people you've been with for years? Do you try and get the furthest you can in progression to compete for a world/server/top ranking? Do you content yourself with trying to improve your own play ability, through WOL ranks, theorycrafting, min/maxing, etc?

Essentially, how did you decide to raid with the guild you are in, and why do you stay with them?

My story, I started playing wow just over 2 years ago, although I've been a gamer and MMO player for 15+ years. The guild I'm in now is the first guild I really raided with, and some of my best friends IRL now too. We've been to guildmate's weddings, gone to conventions together, spent time at each other's homes, celebrated birthdays, and the like. We have each other's phone numbers, are friends on facebook, and play other games together.

I made the choice to stay with my friends as long as most of them keep playing, and we keep progressing, even if it is slow at times. Sure, I've considered going to a better/top guild, but I'd rather raid with friends. Or I'll raid on off nights with an alt, to learn a different class and add to my raiding experience.

But what is the limit? When do you decide, ok, I like these people, but they aren't as good as they could be, or the like, and decide to move on? How does the MMO community decide to stick with a guild, or chose to join one? I'm incredibly curious to see what people think about this issue.

I would choose friends. unfortunately my guild in wotlk fell apart so I quit and am just getting back into it so I gotta find a group that i fit into

I pay a monthly sub to raid progression. If my friends are bad, they can go to hell. I benched my roommate once. Fuck him for dying to tornados on Alysrazor, it's not my fault he is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nine3cubed View Post
    I pay a monthly sub to raid progression. If my friends are bad, they can go to hell. I benched my roommate once. Fuck him for dying to tornados on Alysrazor, it's not my fault he is bad.
    You are just one big bundle of awesome sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I taste like Marinara sauce. That's how awesome my sauce is.

Personally I do both... I raid with a serious guild Wed, Thurs, and Mondays.. Saturday nights I do a friends and family run where we mostly mess around and have a good time.
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

OP I was about to say that I knew you in game, but you chose friends, I had a DK in my guild who I always considered a big fish in a small pond, the guild I'm in is a casual raiding guild and this DK wanted more, he had issues with some of the leadership and wanted to progress more. He's a good friend of mine , but last night he changed servers. /sad as for me, I raid with friends, always have, always will. I've been told I could "go higher" but why? whats the fun in that?

Is this the same thread as a few days ago?

Progress over friends.

I am in a situation now that has to do with this. Mostly I left a 'friend' guild to join a more raiding guild and no one from the friend guild has spoken to me since - which is fine, but on a sad note the guild I joined was not what I thought it was... so now I left a friend guild to join another guild I will be leaving.. This drama part of mmos you can all keep - why should I feel bad leaving friends to do the part of the game I like the most at the level I want to. Answer: I shouldn't - but i did...

Deleted
    I raid for progress.. with friends?

To each their own. I raid for progress - but guild environment is also huge for me, plus who says you can't be friends with guildmates?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    If his roommate is also in it for progression and they both mutually knew that they were in a progression setting, he would understand.

Both, to a certain extent. I would like to raid for progression, and while I don't have to be friends with everyone in the group, I wouldn't raid for progression with people who I really dislike.

On the other end, I prefer to play with friends, but if I have a friend who is bad, you wont see me playing with them outside of LFR and 5 mans.

why can't you have both? i've been in the same guild since BC with largely the same group of people in the raid. we all lived really close together (until i recently moved to the mainland, sadface, but still raiding) and for the most part were RL friends before we made our guild. in fact we made the guild, and the raid, for the express intent that we wanted to raid together and get away from the drama that a lot of more 'formal' guilds run into with gear and whatnot.

we raid to progress, of course, because i don't think anyone raids with the intention of not downing bosses. however world first and top server rankings are not our end-game goal, our priority is to have fun and hang out together. this isn't for everyone though, obviously, we did just in the last week have two people who've been raiding with us since mid-WoTLK leave the raid because they want a more hardcore setting and better progression, but to each their own. there's no hard feelings over it (well, anymore, we've mostly talked it out), some people prefer a strict setting and some like a more relaxed, friendly raid.

really it comes down to what you want out of the game, i think. personally i like playing with my friends, and if progress comes with that well then it's a bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    To each their own. I raid for progress - but guild environment is also huge for me, plus who says you can't be friends with guildmates?

If his roommate is also in it for progression and they both mutually knew that they were in a progression setting, he would understand.
    Well, there is a difference in how good of friends you are with people. Change guilds, might be friends, but it'll take a while to become close, if you're ever as close.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacebot View Post
    I raid for progress.. with friends?

this is the correct answer

i'm not sure why you think these two are mutually exclusive

I love the people I raid with and we got H Sha down last night.

At the end of Cata, I left a guild I had been with for 4-5 years. I still liked the people, but they were slipping into super casual while I was craving more hardcore raiding. I still talk with a lot of them regularly.

I'm having loads of fun. Leave if you want to leave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooklyn View Post
    this is the correct answer

i'm not sure why you think these two are mutually exclusive
    Let's be honest here, it isn't as common to raid with people you truely consider friends...it happens, but often it fals apart when 1 is on a higher level of skill as the other.

I choose for progression but I do it with 2 friends at all times, I often got my friends in after I was accepted as a raider.

I've done both, if rather raid with friends, its easier to laugh off their fail than someone who is supposed to be in a progression guild
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

I choose Raid for Progress because that's why I play the game in the first place.
    If I raid with friends, they'll stop playing after some time.
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

You'll find good friends in almost any progression guild. I went into my current guild (Temerity - Windrunner) knowing 2-3 people well, and have definately made a lot of good friends. They may not be RL or old friends, but you can always run stuff with those people now that CRZ has been implemented, or do an alt run on their server, etc.

I would choose friends to raid with over Progress if my friends wanted to\could raid at the same level I do. Some of them do not have the skillset. I am not trying to bring them down, it is just the truth. I have fun with my friends in instances and doing random things together. Raiding is not one of them. I have friends in the guild that I raid with, and I still have alot of fun. You can have both