Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    The same issue with EA's marketing of Dante's Inferno (hiring fake religious protesters for it and the "sin to win" campaign). It can be quite offensive.

Remember, the current environment in the gaming industry is pretty hyper sensitive to sexism. That means something like this can, and will easily be viewed as a sexist objectification of the female body, and offend people. It doesn't matter if that's intended or not (I can't see how the "LOOK, BOOBS" angle wasn't intended), it' matters how the public perceives it. It's a pretty stupid decision if they knew the current gaming landscape and of course it's going to cause issues.

I had no real issues with it, I'm simply pointing out how some people, such as those who complained about it and caused the commotion, view the situation. I see some valid complaints to be had. I don't agree with all of them, but there's no way that this could be argued to be a neutral, and unassailable decision on the part of Deep Silver.
    I understand it's not directly your stance, but since you are still pushing it you seem to be willing to defend it.

Personally I'm sick of caring what offends who. This is not something that is shoved into anyone face unless they want to see it. If you are offended by this here is a shocker idea. DON'T LOOK. (You does not mean you as in edgecrusher)

It does not matter how the public sees it. It matters what potential customers might think of it. And if you are that disgusted by it I doubt you were much of a potential customer. Not only that it's an optional CE bonus item you don't even have to keep if you don't want to.

Last bit is the key part here.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I understand it's not directly your stance, but since you are still pushing it you seem to be willing to defend it.

Personally I'm sick of caring what offends who. This is not something that is shoved into anyone face unless they want to see it. If you are offended by this here is a shocker idea. DON'T LOOK. (You does not mean you as in edgecrusher)

It does not matter how the public sees it. It matters what potential customers might think of it. And if you are that disgusted by it I doubt you were much of a potential customer. Not only that it's an optional CE bonus item you don't even have to keep if you don't want to.

Last bit is the key part here.
    As someone who is kinda repulsed by it, I can get behind this thinking for the most part. I'm not going to raise a stink like a lot of others did, but I still wish companies wouldn't resort to things like this to sell games (which I think is where Edge is coming from). I'm not one to bellyache about what offends me; I either look the other way or don't buy the product when these sort of things pop up. Looking the other way, though, can be harmful in that these gender equality issues aren't getting better by doing so and that's where I think the big rage is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    As someone who is kinda repulsed by it, I can get behind this thinking for the most part. I'm not going to raise a stink like a lot of others did, but I still wish companies wouldn't resort to things like this to sell games (which I think is where Edge is coming from). I'm not one to bellyache about what offends me; I either look the other way or don't buy the product when these sort of things pop up. Looking the other way, though, can be harmful in that these gender equality issues aren't getting better by doing so and that's where I think the big rage is coming from.
    Way to pretty much take the words out of my mouth. Jerkstore.

And the bolded part is especially relevant, as the "just don't look and you won't be offended" argument isn't really super strong. Especially if you're in favor of a bit more gender equality in video games. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sexy vidya game ladies and all, but it would be nice to have some more realistic portrayals as well to balance things out.

It's pretty amazing that even zombie boobs in video games are perfectly round, firm and perk.

If my boobs & tummy looked like that despite being a dismembered, half eaten torso I'd be pretty satisfied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way to pretty much take the words out of my mouth. Jerkstore.

And the bolded part is especially relevant, as the "just don't look and you won't be offended" argument isn't really super strong. Especially if you're in favor of a bit more gender equality in video games. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sexy vidya game ladies and all, but it would be nice to have some more realistic portrayals as well to balance things out.
    What is the difference between movies and games. Why is it ok for this stuff to be shown in movies but not games? We can whore out Megan Fox for Transformers and no one says anything. Now we have a plastic bust and people are making a huge issue.

This isn't off-topic for this thread right?

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the difference between movies and games. Why is it ok for this stuff to be shown in movies but not games? We can whore out Megan Fox for Transformers and no one says anything. Now we have a plastic bust and people are making a huge issue.
    Your exactly right and the same point Im trying to make and at its core is a even deeper problem with society. We ravel in hypocrisy and love every minute of it.

This isn't off-topic for this thread right?
    You're going off-topic, but I share the belief across any form of media; movies, games, books ect. so I don't think it's ok in one area but not another.

So let's keep it on sexism with regards to gaming, and hopefully more specifically Dead Island (myself included).

Deleted
    Pretty dumb of people to think it's gross and sexist when all they do in the game is cut up zombies so they look like this... both male & female.

*Only a woman version* "SEXISM! REMOVE REMOVE!"

But honestly, I think it's awesome looking. I would get it, but I never buy anything other than standard.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    As someone who is kinda repulsed by it....Looking the other way, though, can be harmful in that these gender equality issues aren't getting better by doing so and that's where I think the big rage is coming from.
    Haha oh man. Have you seen your sig lately? Beatrix was a great, strong female character. Your sig has reduced her to laying down on flowers looking sultry with her tits out and you're trying to shout "GENDER EQUALITY!".

It's a dismembered female torso in a bikini...with the heightened focus on sexism in gaming, it's pretty easy to see how this can be interpreted.

Not to mention, what does it have to do with zombies? It doesn't scream "zombies!" it screams "mutilated female torso in a bikini!", which isn't really the best message to get across...
    True from some PoV but how about this one,

Dead Island is a holiday resort, a sunny weather resort,

Its hot

Women wear Bikinis

It gets over run with zombies

Women don't get a chance to change,

and of course its going to use a womans torso over a mans, Sex sells its exactly the same regardless the product,

In some respects its actually "what would happen", I thought it was quite clever, but I can see how some people would get offended, but only people who get offended about everything to do with sex and violence in games.

(Since I cant scale down heres some more links)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...alArtWork1.jpg

http://www.wallcoo.net/cartoon/digit...uisitor_03.jpg

Even in books, Sex sells

[IMG]http://assets.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/BLOOMBERG_PHOTO_50_shades_of_grey_fifty_gray*280.JPG?v=1[/IMG]

Lingerie, Sex Sells (Again to big)

http://www.designer-lingerie.com/pho...ddy%20B949.jpg

Films, Sex Sells (Big)

http://trailers.filmsafari.com/poste...omb-raider.jpg

That just 2 minutes of thinking of sex sells examples while I wait for a video to load, Sex sells everywhere its a fact, yea dead island is mixing sex to zombies / death but thats what the fucking game is about, would they feel better if it showed a woman standing on a podium topless holding a machette? And no im not going to post a picture of that your horny little gits

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Haha oh man. Have you seen your sig lately? Beatrix was a great, strong female character. Your sig has reduced her to laying down on flowers looking sultry with her tits out and you're trying to shout "GENDER EQUALITY!".
    1. She's wearing the same outfit in my sig as she did in the game.
    2. She's laying on a bed of roses because her theme song is "Rose of May."
    3. Someone made this signature/avatar combo for me because they know I liked her character and it'd be a little rude if I didn't use them.

There's no need for mockery or personal attacks. Try to keep on the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    3. Someone made this signature/avatar combo for me because they know I liked her character and it'd be a little rude if I didn't use them.

I'm not sure that was meant as a personal attack but more of a proving the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, if you ignore the really fucking stupid editing of the stupid model thing, the trailer itself is pretty saddening. Guess it is a Dead Island trailer though, the internet went fucking crazy over the last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account

I think the point he was trying to make is. There is more sexism in your sig than there is in that bust. If you are ok with it in your sig it shouldn't be an issue for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first game was already bad in terms of storyline and gameplay, what is this vid communicating to me?
    This game will have bad storyline, if not nothing of it.

I'm not really sure why someone would want a decapitated torso on their shelf, but whatever.

Why would anybody want that statue in the first place? I'm not offended by it at all but I just don't understand the appeal. I mean... it's a mutilated torso. It's not really something I'd expect to see in anybody's house unless they're a psychopath or something. I don't get it.

Wow some people will get butthurt over anything.

So it is a Zombie Corpse, in a promotion for a Zombie game. Who the fuck cares.

The people yelling "OMFG SEXISM!!!" Holy Christ get a fucking life.. seriously. There are more important things to worry about in life than a fucking Collectors edition Bust of a Zombie girl, that was just a clever joke on the Old Roman Bust sculptures, oh and guess what, It is in a game based on a Tropical resort. OH AND GUESS WHAT WOMEN WEAR AT TROPICAL RESORTS!!.. Bikinis.

The backlash at this makes me far more sick than the actual piece itself. People need to grow up.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 10:41 PM ----------

It's a dismembered female torso in a bikini...with the heightened focus on sexism in gaming, it's pretty easy to see how this can be interpreted.

Not to mention, what does it have to do with zombies? It doesn't scream "zombies!" it screams "mutilated female torso in a bikini!", which isn't really the best message to get across...
    Well when it is Attached to a game called "dead Island" It screams Zombies to me. It isn't like they just sold the Statue without any labels on where it is from or anything.

people need to stop being over-sensitive pansies.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Why would anybody want that statue in the first place? I'm not offended by it at all but I just don't understand the appeal. I mean... it's a mutilated torso. It's not really something I'd expect to see in anybody's house unless they're a psychopath or something. I don't get it.
    So because people like Zombie games, and have a collectible from a Zombie Game, they are Psychopaths or something.

RIGHT BRO! I TOTALLY SEE YOUR POINT!
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    So because people like Zombie games, and have a collectible from a Zombie Game, they are Psychopaths or something.

RIGHT BRO! I TOTALLY SEE YOUR POINT!
    Chill out, haha. It was mostly meant in jest. It just looks completely retarded and I don't see why anybody would put it in their house. Maybe I'd understand more if it was something that actually stood out as being from Dead Island, but when I look at it, if I had no idea what the game was I'd be asking myself what the fuck I was looking at.