Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Augh View Post
    Though I realised what you were talking about, I did lol at jew-sticker. You do know Scholomance has an N though right?

I pronounce Xuen kinda like shoo-en, cause a friend named Xin is "Shin", I don't know if that's mandarin or cantonese though cause I'm pig ignorant. Everyone seems to pronounce the X's as Z's, they might be right. Either way he would get mad if I start calling him Zin.
    I know a Xong
    (Song)

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    That's definitely not how it's supposed to be pronounced.
    Trying to remember if it's "Justice-E-er" as well. Went by really fast. I know it was something with "Justice" in it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Trying to remember if it's "Justice-E-er" as well. Went by really fast. I know it was something with "Justice" in it...
    I'm a justice-er! I go around justice-ing things!
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

In English it should be pronounced "JUST-i-KAR". Well, you could shift the emphasis around the word depending on your accent but the "c" is definitely hard.

If you wanted an authentic Latin pronunciation it'd be something like "YOOST-i-Kar" I think.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Kinda like quilen. It's a good thing i've never said justicar out loud.
    Not really. Quilen is the English form of a Chinese word so it uses that weird Chinese-to-English transliteration where "q" stands for "ch" or something. Justicar on the other hand is a regular word of Latin origin.

Although I'm not sure what a "justicar" actually is, "justiciar" is an antiquated word for a political office but it seems the scifi/fantasy crowd has appropriated the word, slightly misspelled "justicar". Kind of like how we got "paladin" from the Latin "palatinus" (high ranking official in the Roman Empire, later a high ranking knight/member of the nobility in medieval courts).

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 05:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed View Post
    If we consider Pandarian names to be derived from real-world Mandarin and its pinyin romanisation, that's correct. I pronounce shu-en, with the same "u" as "über" (I don't know whether there is any equivalent in English).
    English uses that sound (eg, "cruel", "frugal"), and until relatively recently did use diacritical marks, however since the advent of typing they've fallen into disuse. In English the umlaut is actually called a dieresis, but funnily enough the English dieresis is so rare now that native English speakers are more familiar with umlauts (via names of heavy metal bands).
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-01-16 at 05:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Jus-tick-are

How about:
    man-ah or mon-ah?
    sko-la-mance or show-la-mance? (heard it both ways)
    pan-dare-ee-ah or pan-daar-ee-ah?
    jus-tick-ar
    man-ah
    i actually pronounce it shaw-loh-mance
    pandaria pronunciation actually depends on my mood. ive said it either way

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a pirate, so it's obviously Justis-AAAAAAAAAARRRRRR
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In English it should be pronounced "JUST-i-KAR". Well, you could shift the emphasis around the word depending on your accent but the "c" is definitely hard.

If you wanted an authentic Latin pronunciation it'd be something like "YOOST-i-Kar" I think.

Not really. Quilen is the English form of a Chinese word so it uses that weird Chinese-to-English transliteration where "q" stands for "ch" or something. Justicar on the other hand is a regular word of Latin origin.

Although I'm not sure what a "justicar" actually is, "justiciar" is an antiquated word for a political office but it seems the scifi/fantasy crowd has appropriated the word, slightly misspelled "justicar". Kind of like how we got "paladin" from the Latin "palatinus" (high ranking official in the Roman Empire, later a high ranking knight/member of the nobility in medieval courts).

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 05:55 AM ----------

English uses that sound (eg, "cruel", "frugal"), and until relatively recently did use diacritical marks, however since the advent of typing they've fallen into disuse. In English the umlaut is actually called a dieresis, but funnily enough the English dieresis is so rare now that native English speakers are more familiar with umlauts (via names of heavy metal bands).
    Uh, as everyone else understood, i meant that they sound different than they look... good google job, anyhow.

Didn't Blizz state it's officially pronounced "School-o-mance"? So you're all wrong...
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Deleted
    Scholars are Schoolers now?

What.