Poll: Bring back vanilla-style talents, with no requirement for spending points...?

Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Bring back vanilla-style talent system?

Would you be for or against the return of big talent trees WITHOUT any requirement to spend point in a tree before being able to spend points in another.

For examples Elemental Mages in Vanilla was a mix of frost/fire/arcane talents

The current talent system is quite boring for me, what do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I strongly prefer the current talent system. It's nice to be able to change things on a fight-to-fight basis, vs. having to hearth, visit trainer, etc. I don't find it "boring" at all - actually, I hated the previous system.

It's just another aspect of the game.

Deleted
    No, the WotLK system was far better.

I like having talents that make you actually think, not just boost your damage a little.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    A million times no.
    What we have now is soo much better than:
    -wee 2% more of (insert random lame stat)
    -ONE build for an entire X-pacs cycle. (I literally never touched my Spriests talents after hitting 80,85)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    -ONE build for an entire X-pacs cycle. (I literally never touched my Spriests talents after hitting 80,85)
    That's the point. It was way better that way.

15+ Year Old Account
    I rather have a complete overhaul of the spell/ability system and not the talent system.

Where is the "No No No a million times No" option?

The system we have now is far and away better than any previous iterations of the system. Right now it sincerely feels like a choice for many of the talent trees, despite the fact that some talents are pretty underpowered. Me and my guildmates have had some spirited debates on the use of certain talents, and I definitely like the feel of changing talents on a fight by fight basis rather than trying to make a balanced spec that fits every fight in a particular instance. Some talents are pretty much mandatory, such as Eternal Flame for Holy Pally, but most poor talent choices aren't going to severely impact a raid group very much. If I choose to use Holy Prism or Light's Hammer, the most I'll see is probably a 2-3% change in my healing, and again, on a fight by fight basis. Meanwhile, in the past, you had to google or just plain copy specs constantly because God forbid you forget to choose a +3% hit talent or a talent that impacts a side ability to the point of making it almost overpowered.
    That's the point. It was way better that way.
    Your mileage may vary. If you only have to interact with a system once per expansion it's not a very fun or involving system is it? Old specs didn't reward players who were creative or didn't do the research online and instead chose to use their brains to find the best answer. They just made google mandatory for figuring out which cookie-cutter spec to play.

New talent trees have a way of rewarding players who want to think outside the box for a certain fight.

As nice as the new style is, its idiot proofed and gives very little individualism to the other specs.

The vanilla trees at least showed who knew their class and researched it.

Quote Originally Posted by alysmera View Post
    I strongly prefer the current talent system. It's nice to be able to change things on a fight-to-fight basis, vs. having to hearth, visit trainer, etc. I don't find it "boring" at all - actually, I hated the previous system.

It's just another aspect of the game.
    It'd be pretty damn easy to incorporate the dust disappearance thing to the vanilla talent system. As long as you have dusts, you're able to remove talents you've picked.

P.S. To me the "vanilla talent system" means how it used to be all the way up til the end of wotlk. Not just how talents were in vanilla itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

No thanks. I have more choice in tailoring my class now than I have had in the past.

~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

15+ Year Old Account
    I liked cata's the most just because you got cool stuff at level 10. But a mix of cata and wrath would be best.

I prefer MoP's system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Dragon View Post
    As nice as the new style is, its idiot proofed and gives very little individualism to the other specs.

Knowing your class = Googling your class spec of choice, apparently.

Besides the fact that almost 90% of all Vanilla talents were useless and the other 10% were mandatory. I just don't get what's more fun about a system like that compared to a system that rewards choice and offers no real bad alternative. (And incase your answer is "but now anyone can pick the right spec and not fail!" isn't that kind of the point of video games? We left the Nintendo era of nearly impossible video games years ago, why haven't you caught up yet?)

I like the current system. I like how I can choose my style of gameplay instead of just going for the one-size-fits-all approach for playing with your toon.

I really do miss lacerate as a 31 point talent... yeah ok /sarcasm

Voted no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Dragon View Post

There was no individualism in copying the best spec from a forum site.

10+ Year Old Account
    No way, I hated the cookie cutter specs. I like it the way it is now, You can do whatever you want.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Vanilla talents were horrible, across the board. Almost no class reached the bottom of any tree because there was zero benefit to do so. You cherry picked all the performance increasing talents you could and that was that. Poor design.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.