World of warcraft stuck on reconfiguring game files

I'm a total noob to this forum to WOW and this forum, so, Hi. Anyways, I just downloaded the game. Now it's doing an update saying it's "Reconfiguring Game Files." It says it will take from 15-60 minutes, but I left it go for 3 and a half hours. It is still stuck at 0.1% Anyone know an easy fix?

Thanks!

-SW5

Hey there! As far as I'm aware there should be no reconfiguration if you're doing a fresh digital installation. Sounds like maybe there was already an instance of the game on the system. My suggestion would be to halt the install, make sure you have no World of Warcraft folder on your computer and then perform a fresh digital installation for your regional game client. Feel free to respond here if that doesn't help!

Thank you for the reply! I don't believe it is possible for it to have another instance of the game, I wiped my hard drive a while back. Though, the install disk is months old, maybe that could affect it? Should I just reinstall the game?

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by SW5; 2013-01-15 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled word

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SW5 View Post
    Thank you for the reply! I don't believe it is possible for it to have another instance of the game, I wiped my hard drive a while back. Though, the install disk is months old, maybe that could affect it? Should I just reinstall the game?

Thanks a bunch!
    I'm pretty sure this is what he was suggesting. Go delete any folder for WoW you have and do a fresh download/install

The reconfiguration is also called 'Optimization'. Because the game has changed so much over time, we have to do housecleaning on the files in order to get them ship-shape for the newer version to work. The only time you're going to see reconfiguration or optimization is when the program needs to take the older version and whip into its updated shape. Anytime I run into an issue where a customer's game is trying to reconfigure or optimize for an extended period of time, I just tell them to nuke the install, and start with a fresh one. Barring any other programs which might stop the download, that usually does the trick.