How can Boas not be mailed Cross realms?

They have cross realm zones, cross realm raids, cross realm world bosses, and cross realm addon to LFG ( fan made ofc ) how on earth is it beyond their technology to have cross realm BOAS... not just faction. I call BS.

Although Blizz loves to leave out core elements of the game then call it an expansion. OR am i missing something? Is it actually to hard to develop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    They have cross realm zones, cross realm raids, cross realm world bosses, and cross realm addon to LFG ( fan made ofc ) how on earth is it beyond their technology to have cross realm BOAS... not just faction. I call BS.

Although Blizz loves to leave out core elements of the game then call it an expansion. OR am i missing something? Is it actually to hard to develop?
    They want players to spend more time grinding out the tokens to get the heirloom items on other realms. The longer they can keep the hamster on the wheel, the more money they make.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Is it actually to hard to develop?
    Most likely yes. You see how many bugs there were with cross realm zones. And how long it took them to do cross realm dungeons. It'll probably take just as long to make cross realm mail/boa.

Return vs investment is poor for this feature. Obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because mailing an item cross-realm means actually moving that item from one realm to another. Not making it appear there temporarily, or assigning a new item to a person in a cross-realm group, but rather moving it.

At the moment the mail system, the only way to to do it, does not support such features and it wouldn't be possible to add it in without a complete remake of it (as they've said before), so it's not doable.

There are ideas on fixing it - such as making that stuff shared like mounts and you just "create" a new instance whenever you need the gear as long as one of your toons isn't already wearing it.

thay only have so meny programmers - cant come with all at once, it will come at some point but other things like new raids and new expantions have more focus, hopfully you understand that

Deleted
    Looking from a developer standpoint (Web) I can imagine it being retardedly difficult especially since they've a platform with many many intermingling coding languages.

Even though CRZ works, it works, wasn't very difficult (SEEMINGLY) because it was announced then boom done, no issues or holds on it, they wouldn't have announced it if they hadn't the confidence to pull it off.

Mail system works weird, especially with the b.net system coming into account.

And....even with all of that being said, There was a way to do transmogrification back in patch 3.3.5a (Maybe that's when they started working on it ?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    They want players to spend more time grinding out the tokens to get the heirloom items on other realms. The longer they can keep the hamster on the wheel, the more money they make.
    I think it's just a technical issue actually. Same way you have to pay for a character transfer. It's being done with human assistance most likely. Cross-anything is just gibberish, you're still on different servers. Same reason why you can't trade with someone from another realm... technical impossibility.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

There was a blue post about it and the blue poster said something like:

"We have to overcome technical difficulties for this to be done".
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

Maybe allow us to use the achievement point system to fix it? You buy the piece and get a mini achievement for it and thereafter all your alts can buy it for free, since they'll all get credit for the achieve(just that one item).
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

no boas? and what about my viper?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    you mean play the game?

I wasn't aware that playing the game is what you do with a........game.....

Here's where I imagine the problem comes in:

When the game makes a cross-realm raid, it pulls all the people from a battlegroup that it needs and places them in an instance together. Despite the fact that these characters are on different realms, they can be plopped into an instance and play together. This probably works for Cross-Realm Zones as well, since each Zone can simply be seen as an individual "instance" at least according to the server.

But when you mail something to another server, your server would have to communicate directly with the other server which is where the limitation comes in. There's no instance middle-man as it were to direct your item. Rather your item would have to be sent from your character to another character on the destination realm. Your server has no idea that this other character even exists. And if the item does get sent successfully, there's no guarantee that the server can look back and do a check to make sure it's the right account in the first place, and the item could potentially become locked.

I'm not an IT employee or a code developer by any means, but just a rudimentary understanding of how networking and computers in general works shows that this action is clearly more complicated than send item > receive item.

What Blizzard needs to do is just make unlocking heirlooms an achievement feature. Once you unlock a certain heirloom, it unlocks it on your account and any character can then go and purchase the item from a designated vendor for gold.

Not being able to send boas across realms just means more money from transfers. I doubt they are in any rush at all to fix it, if it stood to make them money it would have been resolved years ago.

There really isn't anything in the game that is BoA, I don't know why they called it that. BoS (server) maybe but BoA doesn't exist in world of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Same reason why you can't trade with someone from another realm... technical impossibility.
    You used to be able to throw Haunted Mementos to any cross-realm player. People moved gold between servers using them. Not a technical limitation. Also, in Cata LFR we could trade with cross-realm players.

This is not to say that mailing heirlooms is the same as trading, but trading totally works cross-realm.

Because it doesn't enable you to be ganked. It doesn't force you to go out into the world where someone from another realm will make your game play experience worse. (PVP realm or not). MOP is all about griefer-enablement.

Ok not really. In reality as I understand it either every realm in a battle group or some other similar configuration shares the database servers that control inventory.

That means that two servers NOT in the same battle group don't share a database for their character's inventory.

They'd have to come up with a way to destroy the item in one database and create it anew in another. Clearly they've done this for character transfers, but it seems pretty involved. Since they (presumably) didn't design their database with this in mind, it will be a big pain in the butt for them to implement, and so:

1) Either they won't bother since it wouldn't wildly thrill enough players.
    2) It will be listed as a major feature of an expansion.
    3) It will be listed as a major feature of a patch to an expansion.
    4) They'll punt it all the way to Titan. (Punt: Decide not to implement a new feature or bug fix until a future milestone, or in this case product)
    5) They'll just never implement it.
    6) Paid service.

To be fair, all those things are valid things software companies do/base their decisions on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Because mailing an item cross-realm means actually moving that item from one realm to another. Not making it appear there temporarily, or assigning a new item to a person in a cross-realm group, but rather moving it.
    SO?
    Fact is blizzard is just to fucking lazy to implement it... atm you learn a cageable pet on your main and then go to wichever realm you want create a toon cage the pet and voila the pet is server transfered... so dont tell us its NOT possible - they just DONT WANT to cause every altoholic has every loom item and could instantly have max level chars on each realm he wants in hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I think it's just a technical issue actually. Same way you have to pay for a character transfer. It's being done with human assistance most likely. Cross-anything is just gibberish, you're still on different servers. Same reason why you can't trade with someone from another realm... technical impossibility.
    you can trade itens adquired in an instance group with that same group crossrealm with no issues.

the only reason you can't trade crossrealm is because blizz don't want one economy having impact the other. mail is a whole different matter though.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    SO?
    Fact is blizzard is just to fucking lazy to implement it... atm you learn a cageable pet on your main and then go to wichever realm you want create a toon cage the pet and voila the pet is server transfered... so dont tell us its NOT possible - they just DONT WANT to cause every altoholic has every loom item and could instantly have max level chars on each realm he wants in hours...
    Blizzard may be many things, but flat out liars they are not. If they felt the system wasn't worth implementing, or if your tinfoil hat conspiracy theory were true, they would come out and say it. I remember many times where they said they didn't implement a system because it didn't fit their ideal of what they expect from players. Letting players transfer from PvE to PvP realm comes to mind, or letting people race change.

Because it would reduce profit from server transfers. That is the only logical reason.

They had to purposely break cross server trading in LFR and LFG.

The idea that BoA's have to be mailed, have to be destroyed in one location and created in another, as a reason not to use the achievement system to accomplish cross realm BoA's is not logical. Currently if i want to use the same BoA on more than one character, i just visit the mail box. This is the ONLY reason BoA's would have to be destroyed/created, to keep people visiting the mail box. Allowing the achievement system to reward mutliple of the same BoA to any character on an account would only remove the need to visit a mail box.

Keeping people visiting the mail box for the 2 silver gold sink is not a logical reason why BoA's can't be rewarded cross server with achievements. And allowing BoA's to live up to there name and actually be account wide should fall under the same quality of life improvements catagory as the rest of the account wide stuff that came with MoP.
    Last edited by openair; 2013-01-15 at 11:11 PM.