USB Device Over Current Status Detected

Hi there. Yesterday, a fan that I had on my desk fell and took out two of the USB's on my HAF 932's front panel. I didn't think anything of it as I don't use these two USB's, and continued gaming with my friends. However, today when I started up my computer, I got an error saying "USB Device Over Current Status Detected" and then the system shuts down. I did some research, and it turns out it's because of the damaged USB's.

Is there any way to bypass this error screen, or do I have to send the HAF 932 in for repairs, or something? Again, I can live without those two USB's.

Here's my specs, if they're required:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
    Sapphire 6950 2GB GPU
    Intel i5 2500K Sandy Bridge Processor
    4GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    OCZ Vertex 3 30GB SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD

10+ Year Old Account
    unplug the front usbs from the mother board if you dont use them?

He does use them, he can't play w/o them. What kind of case is it?

edit: found it, skipped right over it

Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    He does use them, he can't play w/o them. What kind of case is it?

edit: found it, skipped right over it
    That's odd, because the OP specifically stated that he does NOT use them.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

if you would read the EDIT. I stated that I skipped right over it. :P

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 06:48 PM ----------

If you are in the U.S. you will have to contact them for a part order, not getting much luck seeing a parts order on their site or connecting sites. If you are in the U.K. here is a link:http://www.cmstore.eu/cases/haf/haf-...932-i-o-panel/

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 06:56 PM ----------

http://www.asus.com/websites/global/...t_overview.jpg and a pic to show you what to unplug

I unplugged the front panel from the motherboard, but I'm still getting the error. I'm pretty sure I unplugged the right thing.

EDIT: No, you guys are thinking of the wrong USB's. Two of the USB's on the UPPER part of the front of the tower were damaged, not the two on the bottom (the part that also has the eSATA plug and four USB plugs total; the two on the far-left are the ones that were damaged). Here's a picture:

Last edited by Malckeor; 2013-01-16 at 12:30 AM.

If it's USB2.0 ports that broke you pull the cable from the bottom of the motherboard where there are three dark blue groups of 2x5 pins in a row for USB2 headers. If you broke USB3.0 ports you pull out the cable from light blue 2x10 pin socket which is in the middle of the long side of the board next to RAM slots and SATA ports.

If you're sure you unplugged USB cables to front panel and still get the same problem, try reseting UEFI from the board (clrtc jumper, will also kill any overclocking settings). If that doesn't help either, probably the USB ports short-circuited and burned the USB controller from motherboard. If that's the case, you're fucked unless you can enter UEFI and disable all USB ports from there (will also disable keyboard/mouse) and buy an USB2(or USB3) PCI/PCI-express card. If you can't enter UEFI to turn off the USB ports the motherboard is dead and needs to be replaced.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If it's USB2.0 ports that broke you pull the cable from the bottom of the motherboard where there are three dark blue groups of 2x5 pins in a row for USB2 headers. If you broke USB3.0 ports you pull out the cable from light blue 2x10 pin socket which is in the middle of the long side of the board next to RAM slots and SATA ports.

If you're sure you unplugged USB cables to front panel and still get the same problem, try reseting UEFI from the board (clrtc jumper, will also kill any overclocking settings). If that doesn't help either, probably the USB ports short-circuited and burned the USB controller from motherboard. If that's the case, you're fucked unless you can enter UEFI and disable all USB ports from there (will also disable keyboard/mouse) and buy an USB2(or USB3) PCI/PCI-express card. If you can't enter UEFI to turn off the USB ports the motherboard is dead and needs to be replaced.
    Thank you, my good sir. I found the right ones to disconnect. Phew... I felt scared after what you said about the short-circuiting thing, but yeah, it works.

Thanks a bunch, everyone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Notably, if you need front panel ports, you could either get a replacement part for that case, or a 2.5" front panel adapter, or 5" adapter to go where the Floppy or CD drives go