[Prot] Gear and Weapon question

Hey guys,

At the moment I am wearing 496 tier gloves.
    In my bank I have LFR tier tokens for shoulders, chest and pants. However they would be replacing 496 Shoulders, 489 Chest and 489 Legs.
    Do you guys think it's worth me dropping my ilvl (thus loosing stats), in order to gain a 4set bonus??

Secondly, what are opinions of tank legendary weapon. Is worth using the Legend + 500str gem. Or better to use Scimitar of Seven Stars (from Amber-shaper) with your own choice of gem??

Thanks

Me personally would go for the bonuses. Overall you will only loose 25 iLvl points in total which is a fair trade for the bonus. 5% more SBar absorb and ~10% less rage cost on SB is quite something.

The next step of the prince quest line will give you access to an item that adds a prismatic socket to a sha wep. So 500 str + gem of your choice making the sha weapon BiS. Even with just the 500 str gem I find it superior to the scimitar due to the dps gain through str and higher secondary stats.

howgie

15+ Year Old Account
    basically the only two things that scale with weapon damage are devastate and heroic throw. so a weapon's dps is pretty much non important for tanks.
    thus, the 500 str gem gives 1155 AP (1000 + 5% str + 10% ap) raid buffed. amber shaper will be very very slightly better for defensive (because you can put more stamina into that gem), but the legendary sword will be better overall. 500 str is too good to be passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    basically the only two things that scale with weapon damage are devastate and heroic throw. so a weapon's dps is pretty much non important for tanks.
    thus, the 500 str gem gives 1155 AP (1000 + 5% str + 10% ap) raid buffed. amber shaper will be very very slightly better for defensive (because you can put more stamina into that gem), but the legendary sword will be better overall. 500 str is too good to be passed on.
    The two weapons in question have absolutely identical dps values, so that has never been a topic. Str also provides Parry Rating and with the additional gem in the Sha weapon it will be far superior to the Scimitar. Anyways, when it comes to raid utility the usage of +120 stam over +500 str is debatable, even defensive-wise (Sbar scaling with AP and Str to Parry conversion).

howgie

1. Yes but only because you have 4-set. Wouldn't pick up the 2-set for shorter Last Stand cd.

2. The highest item level of the two you mentioned. If you have on of each and same item level, sha-touched weapon is better especially after getting Breath of the Black Prince.