Poll: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    personally... I think all of the countries of the world should put money into NASA, or a space agency with all of the worlds powers...well, a lot more than they do. that way, the resources and money would be amazing. seriously, it's not like the US is going to be able to expand into space all by themselves, however they're the only ones that seem to be taking it seriously compared to others.

i don't know if it's too early to be looking into the future like that or not, but at some point it's going to have to happen.. better sooner than later. we can't just sit around and think about ourselves, it's the future we have to think about and the answer isn't "let them worry about it".

I think before we start throwing money at NASA so we can travel into space better, we should fix some of our problems here on Earth.
    we fix problems here on earth every day, this is just an excuse to not do something. besides, this is for advancement... not fixing.

The organisation should be renamed to the ''earth space organisation'' or something and include other nations as opposed to ''National Aeronautics and Space Administration''. because as of today, no other country's space program can do anything significant that NASA cannot. Adding revenue from the rest of the world, even only NATO members to begin with, we could see a significant improvement in space related science.

Sooner rather than later, the US simply cannot keep a steady flow of money flowing into NASA with little or no return for much longer. NASA's 2012 budget was at about 17.8 Billion dollars. In comparison worlds 15th largest Defense budget (Turkey) is at 17.9 Billion USD. NATO estimate 2011 expenditure was at almost 1040 Billion USD, 3% of the combined GDP of the 28 member states. More than 50% of the worlds total military spending. NASAs budget is 1.7% of that, 16.9 USD per NATO citizen.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2013-01-19 at 10:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They pave the way for most technology improvements. If it weren't for them, your precious iPad wouldn't be a thing, essentially.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The argument ''Spend the money fixing earth problems instead'' is an invalid one, and here is why.

Throwing money at NASA IS solving earth problems. Allot of the science behind space exploration are extremely handy down here at earth. Just read some of these articles.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/cu...inventions.htm
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...nventions.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_sp...es#Food_safety
    http://www.technewsdaily.com/4160-5-...ged-lives.html

Granted, some of the projects solve very few issues on Earth, some of them are first world problems, very few 3rd world problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    well nasa should hire more intelligent people first i say . like y send super scientific instrument wen they can only send 32 kbps to mars . i would think that they would of sent relays in space to get that speed up by now ? than we may think of giving them more money lol

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    well nasa should hire more intelligent people first i say . like y send super scientific instrument wen they can only send 32 kbps to mars . i would think that they would of sent relays in space to get that speed up by now ? than we may think of giving them more money lol
    "They need to develop better technology before we can give them more money to develop better technology!"

Yea man, like, totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    "They need to develop better technology before we can give them more money to develop better technology!"

Yea man, like, totally.
    you know how easy to make a space relay is ? all it have to do is amplify the signal from mars i guess nobody care about data transfer

you know how easy to make a space relay is ? all it have to do is amplify the signal from mars i guess nobody care about data transfer
    There's nothing better than someone that can barely string a sentence together talking about what idiots the folks at NASA are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's nothing better than someone that can barely string a sentence together talking about what idiots the folks at NASA are.
    o sorry i am not a murica English speaking native, btw you know that grammar bashing is against forum rules ? yea so stfu about how i wright i would like you to wright in french just so i can go grammar Nazi on you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    You know, considering the distance from Earth to Mars (Varies between 57.9 million km and over 402.3 million km depending on orbit) I should think even sending data back and forth is a considerable technological feat.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2004/03/62409 (More info on how the data is transferred)
    o i know how hard its but might i had that only by putting a prob around the moon has increase data transfer from earth to mars so by looking at that putting 1 or 2 probe between us and mars would increase it further right ?

Deleted
    not reading all this thread, but it should have more funding. if i remember rightly every $1 spent on nasa has a $5 return, or something a long those lines.plus, science!

I think today the funding is not good but decent but a bit higer would help a lot. However I dont think we will see any major extra funding until space exploration can pay off. Like in a few decades asteroid mining might be far more profitable then mining on earth. But we see a lot of private companies trying to fund there own space programs (spaceX, MarsOne ect) and if Nasa dont want to lose to private companies thet might need more funding soon

o sorry i am not a murica English speaking native, btw you know that grammar bashing is against forum rules ? yea so stfu about how i wright i would like you to wright in french just so i can go grammar Nazi on you
    I'm under the impression that French uses similar punctuation to English. Grammar trolling is surely inappropriate as a general rule, but when you're specifically insulting the intelligence of some of the smartest people on Earth, it's hard not to be struck by your incoherence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Of course it should be higher. Cut the defense budget by 10% and put that money into NASA.

If they're meals intended for non-American kids, then yes it's worth it.
    This x100000.

Infracted.

"This" posts aren't allowed. Post constructively please.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-20 at 12:07 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

Do you feel that NASA should have a higher budget, and if so what programs should have spending cut to make that happen?
    Department of Defense...Department of Homeland Security...both need about a 66% reduction to be in keeping with other first world nations. We are not a military dictatorship.

NASA needs a much larger budget but also give them funding for and dominion of deep sea exploration. Would also like to see NASA become a truly international organization with funding from many many more countries.

Take it from Military and see how much tax reform could help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zallex View Post
    Thats cool and all but really? picture of the beginning of time? Okay let's assume thats not total bullshit speculation. What good does that do us?? none.

How bout join the real world and put money towards stuff that is useful and that can actually benefit society

Yes, let's pour more money into creating societies in the 3-4th world countries so that they can increase the pollution output so that we can kill the world even faster...
    Last edited by Morgaith; 2013-01-19 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    NASA needs a much larger budget but also give them funding for and dominion of deep sea exploration. Would also like to see NASA become a truly international organization with funding from many many more countries.

Take it from Military and see how much tax reform could help as well.
    A name change would be in order if they went into the business of deep sea exploration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    There are many things I would prioritize over NASA in the current state of infrastructure, but I do think it should get a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    A name change would be in order if they went into the business of deep sea exploration.
    Yeah, that's more NOAA's department.