Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Why do I continue to point out your rank hypocrisy? Really? you have to ask? If you are looking for a solution then you sure as hell are going about it the wrong way, if you are here to piss off and demonize your opposition then keep on keepin on because you are certainly succeeding.

As far as Fox, I dont give a tinker's damn what they say, I don't watch them. YOU appear to however, to hang on every word they say like one of those Media Matters hypocrites... You aren't a partisan hypocrite are you Aleros?, I certainly hope not. Thing is, you dont like being called out on your biased dishonest bullcrap.
    When Fox is the most watched news network in the United States, yes, it is valid to comment on what they say. They are far and away the most mainstream news outlet by virtue of their viewer base being the largest.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Skroesec, I at no point see a resemblance between gun owners and pro-segregationists.
    Both defended / are defending a backwards anarchonism whose time has long since passed and whose existence we'll look back on with regret and embarrassment using remarkably similar vocabulary. States Rights. Institution. Tradition. Accusations against Elitism. "What the Founders wrote in the Constitution" and so forth.

It's really not difficult to see Americans a century from now looking back into the mid 20th to first third of the 21 century, look at the scourge of handguns (for instance) and ask themselves "what were THOSE Americans thinking?!?" the same way we Americans look back at Jim Crow with shame, embarassment and contempt.

Jim Crow robbed millions of Americans of their legal rights and their dignity.
    2nd Ammendment Fundamentalism continues to rob ten thousand Americans a year of their lives.

And why? All so law abiding gun owners can go shoot a circle from 200 yards away and engage in some ridiculous self deluding fantasy that their guns keep them free. It's immoral. It's an abomination. And people who are for strict gun control need to be really rough with these people. To them, we're taking away a right. To us, we're correcting a vestigial birth defect in the Constitution. They're never going to like it, so let's not have any pretense about being nice about it.

We're going to take away their guns, little by little. At the present, it looks State by State. And they're going to hate it. But eventually because life is busy, they'll have bigger concerns and forget about it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 05:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    When Fox is the most watched news network in the United States, yes, it is valid to comment on what they say. They are far and away the most mainstream news outlet by virtue of their viewer base being the largest.
    A large part of this though, to be fair, is because their viewership skews significantly older and whiter than CNN and MSNBC, and young people aren't exactly sitting down and going to watch Hannity make a fool of himself on TV five times a week... they stick to the internet. Basically CNN and MSNBC get everyone else, which isn't large.

Fox News may get big numbers... but its just a cable news network. Compared to the page views of CNN.com and Nbcnews.com (two of the most popular sites on the internet), it's not even close.

I think it's very telling that in a Crisis or Historic Event, when people want to watch TV rather than be informed by the internet, people turn to CNN, and CNN does mega numbers that dwarfs Fox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Both defended / are defending a backwards anarchonism whose time has long since passed and whose existence we'll look back on with regret and embarrassment using remarkably similar vocabulary. States Rights. Institution. Tradition. Accusations against Elitism. "What the Founders wrote in the Constitution" and so forth.

It's really not difficult to see Americans a century from now looking back into the mid 20th to first third of the 21 century, look at the scourge of handguns (for instance) and ask themselves "what were THOSE Americans thinking?!?" the same way we Americans look back at Jim Crow with shame, embarassment and contempt.

Jim Crow robbed millions of Americans of their legal rights and their dignity.
    2nd Ammendment Fundamentalism continues to rob ten thousand Americans a year of their lives.

And why? All so law abiding gun owners can go shoot a circle from 200 yards away and engage in some ridiculous self deluding fantasy that their guns keep them free. It's immoral. It's an abomination. And people who are for strict gun control need to be really rough with these people. To them, we're taking away a right. To us, we're correcting a vestigial birth defect in the Constitution. They're never going to like it, so let's not have any pretense about being nice about it.

We're going to take away their guns, little by little. At the present, it looks State by State. And they're going to hate it. But eventually because life is busy, they'll have bigger concerns and forget about it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 05:16 AM ----------

A large part of this though, to be fair, is because their viewership skews significantly older and whiter than CNN and MSNBC, and young people aren't exactly sitting down and going to watch Hannity make a fool of himself on TV five times a week... they stick to the internet. Basically CNN and MSNBC get everyone else, which isn't large.

Fox News may get big numbers... but its just a cable news network. Compared to the page views of CNN.com and Nbcnews.com (two of the most popular sites on the internet), it's not even close.

I think it's very telling that in a Crisis or Historic Event, when people want to watch TV rather than be informed by the internet, people turn to CNN, and CNN does mega numbers that dwarfs Fox.
    Jim Crow laws came about because of the democrats, the KKK was born from the democrats, the Civil Rights act of 1957 could have, would have, and should have been passed as it was proposed and thus would have prevented the years of upheaval that occured in the 60s, But, suprise suprise, a Democrat, in fact the Senate Majority Leader at the time cockblocked it and caused it to have to be watered down. His name? Lyndon Johnson.

If you are so fucking opposed to the 2nd amendment, then convince your legislators to put forth a bill to repeal it or modify it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Jim Crow laws came about because of the democrats, the KKK was born from the democrats, the Civil Rights act of 1957 could have, would have, and should have been passed as it was proposed and thus would have prevented the years of upheaval that occured in the 60s, But, suprise suprise, a Democrat, in fact the Senate Majority Leader at the time cockblocked it and caused it to have to be watered down. His name? Lyndon Johnson.

If you are so fucking opposed to the 2nd amendment, then convince your legislators to put forth a bill to repeal it or modify it.
    Those Historic Democrats shifted and became Modern Republicans due to the Southern Strategy of Richard Nixon. I'm a Republican (a North East one). I know it's history. I also know how batshit crazy my party has become since Republicans like me (and Colin Powell, and many others) abandoned it for our center-right President, Barack Obama.

And yes that's my personal hope one day. A constitutional amendment that voids the second amendment and makes clear that "militia" refers to the National Guard, and the "Arms" they bear, refer to their military hardware, and not a civilian's right to own a gun (which should be outlawed).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Obama wants your guns and your 2nd amendment. After that they will activate the council of governors.

The Council of Governors is a group of 10 state governors of the United States. The group was established in January 2010[1] in order to strengthen the partnership between federal and state governments in protecting the nation against all manner of threats, including terrorism and natural disasters. The Council was created by Executive Order 13528,[2] signed by President Barack Obama on January 11, 2010, as recommended by the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 which was passed by the 110th Congress and signed by President George W. Bush on January 28, 2008.

According to the executive order that created the Council, it consists of 10 governors[1] (no more than 5 of whom may belong to the same political party) plus the governor of Puerto Rico. The ten appointed governors are selected by the President, and two are designated by him as Co-Chairs. The Co-Chairs may not belong to the same political party. There is also an Executive Director appointed by the Secretary of Defense.
    Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 12:39 AM ----------

Never mind the fact that the paradigm shifts of the last century or so basically resulted in a swap of places between the Republicans and the Democrats; who gives a fuck what Democrats 100 years ago did? They're DEAD. They have no bearing on the actions of modern democrats today.

Even the actions of democrats of the 50s and 60s are irrelevant, though some may remain alive, most are now out of power if not dead.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Those Historic Democrats shifted and became Modern Republicans due to the Southern Strategy of Richard Nixon. I'm a Republican (a North East one). I know it's history. I also know how batshit crazy my party has become since Republicans like me (and Colin Powell, and many others) abandoned it for our center-right President, Barack Obama.

And yes that's my personal hope one day. A constitutional amendment that voids the second amendment and makes clear that "militia" refers to the National Guard, and the "Arms" they bear, refer to their military hardware, and not a civilian's right to own a gun (which should be outlawed).
    I submit that it wasn't the party that became as you call them 'batshit crazy', and I highly doubt that the General that you repeatedly attempt to hitch your positions to shares your view on the 2nd amendment or your position on the 10th either.

and to correct you, the southern strategy of Nixon and Goldwater wrested the south away from the racist democrats that controlled the south from the end of the Civil War until the middle of the the inception of the southern strategy in the early 60s.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 11:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    *snip*
    Orissa, when folks try and hang Jim Crow, KKK and that other bullshit on the GOP I'm obliged to correct them on their stunning lack of knowledge or their willful dishonesty.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it funny, then, how the GOP is now the party that is holding to social conservatism by blocking rights to everybody? Seems like they decided where to draw the line.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do I continue to point out your rank hypocrisy? Really? you have to ask? If you are looking for a solution then you sure as hell are going about it the wrong way, if you are here to piss off and demonize your opposition then keep on keepin on because you are certainly succeeding.

As far as Fox, I dont give a tinker's damn what they say, I don't watch them. YOU appear to however, to hang on every word they say like one of those Media Matters hypocrites... You aren't a partisan hypocrite are you Aleros?, I certainly hope not. Thing is, you dont like being called out on your biased dishonest bullcrap.
    You haven't successfully pointed out any hypocrisy, just thrown out a bunch of ad hominem attacks on my person without any basis in reality. You sound like an upset child. You've even begun following me from thread to thread just to toss insults at me when you aren't even a part of the conversation. You tend to run and hide and not address questions directed at you when they show just how uniformed you are. You make snide jabs at me without any real content to your posts. Most of the time when you make claims they're just plain wrong and when asked for sources you start throwing f-bombs and mashing your caps lock key.

Your signature is about as hypocritical as it comes.

Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Come and take them)
    You've suggested the infringement of no less than two constitutional rights, insinuating that rather than address guns, we should address the "root" of the problem and that those that are mentally unstable and likely to commit acts of extreme violence with guns should have "help" inflicted upon them. When it was pointed out that most of the people who went on murderous rampages declined or resisted help in the first place, and I inquired whether you wanted to force help on these people or simply leave the system as it was, you remained oddly silent. When the glaringly obvious flaws of involuntary detainment based on psychological analysis when no crime had been committed, in addition to the unconstitutionality of it was pointed out, you dropped more f bombs and caps lock and left the thread. Later on you had an issue with ID's being required for gun purchase and said that it should be required for voting too (which is in direct violation of the 24th amendment) you started spewing conspiracy theories about the 2000 election. You made several baseless claims that voter fraud was a rampant problem, and when asked for proof or a source, you spewed excuses and anecdotes for a page or two, then finally produced a tea party funded steaming pile of dog crap that was one big vague reference to the "rampant epidemic of voter fraud".

You obviously use these forums as an outlet and a vent for your anger, so I suggest you go blow off some steam elsewhere while the adults have a conversation.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Orissa, when folks try and hang Jim Crow, KKK and that other bullshit on the GOP I'm obliged to correct them on their stunning lack of knowledge or their willful dishonesty.
    You do realize that at that time, the "Democrats" were conservative and the "Republicans" were liberal, right? You can pin it on the Democrats, sure, but it was still the conservatives.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    *snip*.
    I know damn well what my sig says, I created it. I've asked you repeatedly to provide which rights I'm attempting to infringe... please. cite them, cite them accurately. Sir, for someone that wants to infringe the rights of millions of law abiding citizens to attempt to accuse me of wanting to infringe anyone is full on a lie. You know it, I know it.

Man I wish you would be civil rights lawyers were around a couple years ago when that patriot act was being signed. You all came out of the wood work for obama but when Bush was in the white house well...

15+ Year Old Account
    You certainly do have a selective memory forgetting that you posted that Sandy Hook shooter (as well as other mass murderers) should have been institutionalized (even though it was against his will) BEFORE he ever committed a crime. That and the whole wanting to require ID's to vote. The 24th amendment and the three judicial amendments guaranteeing due process are all making a sad face at you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Man I wish you would be civil rights lawyers were around a couple years ago when that patriot act was being signed. You all came out of the wood work for obama but when Bush was in the white house well...
    Man back in '01 I was still playing Diablo 2 and blissfully and willfully ignorant of most political BS. I wish I could return to the days of not giving a damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that at that time, the "Democrats" were conservative and the "Republicans" were liberal, right? You can pin it on the Democrats, sure, but it was still the conservatives.
    You DO realize that it was the Democrats that did it, regardless of any 'conservative' or 'liberal' label you want to attribute to them, dont you? You DO realize that there was a Democrat who was a Klan Grand Dragon in the US Senate from 1959 to 2010, right? You DO realize that the fillibuster of the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 was entirely comprised of Democrat Senators, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate when I hear this. This never happened. The parties never switched. 1 "southern dixie-crat" switched and that was Strom Thurman. Please stop with this lie. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    this guys gets it, when I found out about the patriot act my faith in congress folded a couple of times.

bbbbbbuuuuuttttt comments like this are also noise in the gun control debate. I call it noise mainly because how the two polices are/were publicized and how much money is involved as a result of polices.

OT: last time I checked, the executive actions did not infringe on any American rights but checking again won't hurt (will edit after I'm done.)
    EDIT: nope still can't find any.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    I hate when I hear this. This never happened. The parties never switched. 1 "southern dixie-crat" switched and that was Strom Thurman. Please stop with this lie. Thank you.
    Go back to history class please, Aleros is correct in many ways.
    Last edited by crazymack; 2013-01-20 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    Go back to history class please, Aleros is correct in many ways.
    My friend, my degree is in history. I'll break it down for you from right after the revolutionary war:

Political Parties

Federalist - Favored strong central government
    Anti-Federalist - Favored states

Federalist became The Democratic party
    Anti-Federalists became the Whig party

The Whig party fractured and fell apart.

The republican party was comprised of Whigs, Free-Soilers and Anti-Slavery democrats.

There was never a point in time when the parties switched. Ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    The term switched sides is inaccurate, but party stances have changed over time.

A. Fundamentalist conservative values, resistance to expanding government power so that people may take care of themselves, racism and bigotry.

B. Progressive liberal ideas, expanding government power to better serve the people, social libertarianism and expansion of civil human rights.

I'll let you take a guess at who was who at varying points in history, and also make the personal note that yes, there are millions of shades of gray in the political spectrum. This is often why I label myself as a classical Republican and a modern Democrat.

For an interesting infographic on political parties: http://xkcd.com/1127/large/

But sure, you can go ahead and blame the Democrats of the past for Jim Crowe, KKK, etc. Nobody is denying it. But a bigot is a bigot. Now what was the purpose of pointing that out again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    its not that clear, but its probably like security guards.
    Sort of.

In post secondary, you can think of him as a guidance councilor who's competent in legal matters. If you've got life troubles, you visit the guidance councilor, if you're a witness to or victim of a crime, you talk to the resource officer.

The benefit to doing so is that he's already the bad guy, so you don't risk getting labeled a 'narc' by your peers. They handle arrests, and can be called to be a 'first response' in a crisis.

Unfortunately, most of these officers are part time, being on campus a couple days a week. (Likely being at other campuses on the other days.)

10+ Year Old Account
    The term switched sides is inaccurate, but party stances have changed over time.

A. Fundamentalist conservative values, resistance to expanding government power so that people may take care of themselves, racism and bigotry.

B. Progressive liberal ideas, expanding government power to better serve the people, social libertarianism and expansion of civil human rights.

I'll let you take a guess at who was who at varying points in history, and also make the personal note that yes, there are millions of shades of gray in the political spectrum. This is often why I label myself as a classical Republican and a modern Democrat.

For an interesting infographic on political parties: http://xkcd.com/1127/large/

But sure, you can go ahead and blame the Democrats of the past for Jim Crowe, KKK, etc. Nobody is denying it. But a bigot is a bigot. Now what was the purpose of pointing that out again?
    Because you said the parties switched. Which they did not. This post is a bit more accurate than you're previous post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    *snip*
    I thought Democrat-republican were the "anti-central goverment" party and were the main player against the federalist party.
    Mostly likely the reason we are at stance is because of the time period during which the federalist dispersed.

My memory tells me that the federalist party just fell apart and because of the lack of a seconded major player, the democrat-republican party split in two along North/South line.