Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guesting is coming on January 28th

It's finally here

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/

Also free server transfers will stop then.
    Valar morghulis

CITIZENS!!

gotta love that quote.

Awesome. Earlier than "expected" altho still "late".

With this alot of the problems most players seem to argue about is remedied. Hopefully they will stop crying about that and Anet itself so much.

I am amused at "CITIZENS" as well.

Took them long enough. Lost the chance to play with quite a few friends because of this feature, and no "free server transfers" don't fix that when you're spread across several other servers to be with other circles of friends. "It's no big deal, we can just guest to play with eachother " turned into months of just playing with our own circles until enough of them had moved on that it doesn't really fix that.

Five months to do a feature they were advertising in beta. Five months to the day (if you're not counting headstart).

Most of the damage has already been done, putting it in now won't really remedy anything (but will fix WvW transfers, hey).

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Awesome. Earlier than "expected" altho still "late".

With this alot of the problems most players seem to argue about is remedied. Hopefully they will stop crying about that and Anet itself so much.
    Ex-fucking-cuse me?

There's a lot of problems, this was used as a point of how ArenaNet's failed to meet expectations, whether it directly affected them or not. "hopefully they will stop crying about that" is petty, and using this as a reason to defend Anet itself, as if this absolves it of everything else that they've failed to deliver on or just fallen short of is not only short-sighted, but pathetic white knighting, and needlessly insulting.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-01-16 at 07:51 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I am amused at "CITIZENS" as well.

Took them long enough. Lost the chance to play with quite a few friends because of this feature, and no "free server transfers" don't fix that when you're spread across several other servers to be with other circles of friends. "It's no big deal, we can just guest to play with eachother " turned into months of just playing with our own circles until enough of them had moved on that it doesn't really fix that.

Five months to do a feature they were advertising in beta. Five months to the day (if you're not counting headstart).

Most of the damage has already been done, putting it in now won't really remedy anything (but will fix WvW transfers, hey).

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 12:46 PM ----------

Ex-fucking-cuse me?
    I agree, this took longer than it should of, but having played MMOs for even as small amount of time as I have, I'm pretty used to it by now. Happy to see this finally going into effect at any rate, as I'm sure it will still make a lot of people happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like that you will select the guesting server on the character select screen since you can see which of your friends are online on different servers.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post

There's a lot of problems, this was used as a point of how ArenaNet's failed to meet expectations, whether it directly affected them or not. "hopefully they will stop crying about that" is petty, and using this as a reason to defend Anet itself, as if this absolves it of everything else that they've failed to deliver on or just fallen short of is not only short-sighted, but pathetic white knighting, and needlessly insulting.
    You know kelisti there is a difference between UPS and The Pony Express. Delivering something late isnt always a bad thing. Either Better late then never or better late than broken in a sorry state.

Good for them that this is finally in. Hopefully this will calm down the typical over-entitled MMO whiners for a little while (but I doubt it).

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Good for them that this is finally in. Hopefully this will calm down the typical over-entitled MMO whiners for a little while (but I doubt it).
    Excuse some of us for being mildly miffed (or more) that promised features were not delivered at launch, or shortly afterwards. I'm not super upset about it personally, but I find it poor behavior and a poor reflection on ArenaNet more than anything else. If you advertise and hype up a feature, deliver on it.

If they talked about wanting to implement it shortly after launch but couldn't until now, fine. But it was super hyped as a launch feature. That's an issue.

redit: Super happy that it's finally being put in though. The restrictions on the 2 servers at a time kinda comes out of nowhere, but I'm glad I'll finally be able to finally play with some of my friends now.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Excuse some of us for being mildly miffed (or more) that promised features were not delivered at launch, or shortly afterwards. I'm not super upset about it personally, but I find it poor behavior and a poor reflection on ArenaNet more than anything else. If you advertise and hype up a feature, deliver on it.

If they talked about wanting to implement it shortly after launch but couldn't until now, fine. But it was super hyped as a launch feature. That's an issue.

redit: Super happy that it's finally being put in though. The restrictions on the 2 servers at a time kinda comes out of nowhere, but I'm glad I'll finally be able to finally play with some of my friends now.
    You just have to plan with all your friends to guest on one server. Unless you have friend politics you have to deal with. Ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im now curious. They said their update will come in the 28th. But what else is coming in it? Don't leave me hanging Anet ! =p

Yes, it was a hyped up feature, but it was the only feature that wasn't immediately delivered upon (despite what hordes of players would have you think). And as much as I would have loved it to have been delivered at release, I'd much rather a well-designed and implemented feature were delivered rather than a shoddily implemented feature that needed to be redesigned from the ground up *after* delivery. As with all releases, there are going to be some features that slip through.

What I expect happened (and I doubt we'll ever get an official explanation) is that initial alpha tests of it worked, and then when they broke it out to a larger scale (smaller than the BWEs, but larger than internal testing -- ie, F&F or other larger testing), it had some critical issues that needed to be resolved. And rather than delivering a poorly implemented design, or delaying release until they had it resolved, they decided to take flak on a late delivery of a single feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Im now curious. They said their update will come in the 28th. But what else is coming in it? Don't leave me hanging Anet ! =p
    ANet is very very good at leaving us hanging. That's what they did the entire time we were waiting GW2 to release :P

Nice, better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    You just have to plan with all your friends to guest on one server. Unless you have friend politics you have to deal with. Ugh.
    I have multiple groups of friends. These people are from different parts of the internet, or different parts of IRL. They also have their own groups of friends as well. We were promised that we'd have a feature that would allow us to play with each other while being able to play on a server with our "core" groups of friends.

So yeah, not really a reasonable expectation out of players given the expectations set by ArenaNet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Yes, it was a hyped up feature, but it was the only feature that wasn't immediately delivered upon (despite what hordes of players would have you think). And as much as I would have loved it to have been delivered at release, I'd much rather a well-designed and implemented feature were delivered rather than a shoddily implemented feature that needed to be redesigned from the ground up *after* delivery. As with all releases, there are going to be some features that slip through.

What I expect happened (and I doubt we'll ever get an official explanation) is that initial alpha tests of it worked, and then when they broke it out to a larger scale (smaller than the BWEs, but larger than internal testing -- ie, F&F or other larger testing), it had some critical issues that needed to be resolved. And rather than delivering a poorly implemented design, or delaying release until they had it resolved, they decided to take flak on a late delivery of a single feature.

I think that's what happened as well, furthermore I think I know what broke it - unlimited node farming on guested servers (judging by how it works on overflows).

Somehow that slipped through the beta testing but it was announced before launch that guesting would not be immediately available. Nice they didn't just shelve it altogether like some companies do.

I don't see any info yet on how/if guild influence & perks will work on guested servers. Anyone see anything on that yet?
    Valar morghulis

I have multiple groups of friends. These people are from different parts of the internet, or different parts of IRL. They also have their own groups of friends as well. We were promised that we'd have a feature that would allow us to play with each other while being able to play on a server with our "core" groups of friends.

So yeah, not really a reasonable expectation out of players given the expectations set by ArenaNet.
    This is why I never set my expectations very high, but can't blame you considering everything ANet has said. Never really cared much about the system to begin with, so this announcement really doesn't do much for me lol, but I can understand being annoyed at the fact that this system was supposed to be out at/around launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Not many changes, don't get your hopes high. Probably some new events and balance changes, but from what i know, January patch isn't going to be anything special.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Not many changes, don't get your hopes high. Probably some new events and balance changes, but from what i know, January patch isn't going to be anything special.
    Well, we know for sure it will bring the changes to Fractals - parties of different fractal levels being able to choose which level fractal to run rather than being limited to the lowest fractal completed by a party member (YE GAWDS could I have said that with any more words? lol) and fixing parties being booted if the party leader leaves the instance.

Other than that, it's anyone's guess atm. I really like the element of surprise with their patches, not like models where everything is datamined to DEATH before the patch comes out and you are expected to know the changes. It's more like log in, new stuff - wheeeeee!
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    I'm glad for those still playing with active friends that it's finally here - for me I'm going to put myself in the "whining" category that people are throwing about I suppose - it's too late to be useful to me, would have been amazing at launch but now the very vast majority of my friends are taking breaks, and if they did return, we wouldn't be levelling together any way.

Still, if you're still playing and have friends on different servers, I'm happy it's finally here for you