Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Bored with rift?

I have played other MMO's for an extensive amount of time before, and i think rift is the only one where i don't think "eurgh im bored". The moment i feel like i have nothing left to do something always pops up, i was sitting in tempest bay the other night on my cleric, i just finnished all 7 random pvp que dailies, and i thaught what shall i do now? i didn't feel like doing more pvp or doing dungeons, and i really didn't feel like doing the zone event in morban that had just started, so i sat there on my cyclone mount for about 2 minutes, when i noticed in trade chat someone asking for a healer for some great hunt rifts. I was like ohhhh haven't done great hunts yet /tell, got invite, and was running round in a raid group closing hunt's for over 2 hours. then i thaught to myself, "i don't think i am ever going to get bored here".

Just wondering if anyone feels different to how i feel when playing rift? wether you actually get bored easy whilst playing the game? or can't find anything to do?

I resubbed and bought the expansion a month before it released. I kinda just got bored and didn't even try the expansion yet. Who knows, I might come back some time since it is already bought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunny View Post
    I resubbed and bought the expansion a month before it released. I kinda just got bored and didn't even try the expansion yet. Who knows, I might come back some time since it is already bought.
    I felt quite bored leveling, but to behonest i hate leveling. hit 60 and it opened up so much to do

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a new player who actually likes the systems used in the game, and WoW for that matter, I don't see myself getting bored with the game. If I was a veteran I would have a greater potential for boredom, but they seem to do a fantastic job at making sure content is provided. I subbed for 6 months, because I know I will be occupied at least that much time.

I think one thing that helps keep MMOs fresh is to play other games though. I learned that lesson after Cataclysm. I started playing many games during that time off from WoW and now I use that same mentality to my benefit. It has altered the way my brain gets enjoyment from MMOs so that even when I'm having fun I can step away and do something else.

A lot of people have problems not forcing themselves to keep playing to do x,y, and z to where they both get addicted and grow to hate the source of their addiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to be honest yeah I'm a bit bored but there is a big but. I was kind of spoiled with how much there was to do with classic Rift. SL just launched so there are very few zone events (variety) I'm tired of the two that pop in Ashora and Steppes. (I've done them more times then I can count) I've done some raiding but I'm not overly thrilled with my Cleric atm. I healed through all of classic Rift and was hoping that clerics would be viable DPS in SL......Well QQ what's the point of bringing cleric DPS when the other 3 classes (especially rogues) just dominate. Meh I don't want to be pigeon holed into healing again and can't be arsed leveling another toon through SL even though I have a lvl 47 rogue collecting dust. So since I burned through all the content to get raid ready and I top the DPS until all my CD's were blown (Rebuke says hi) sustained cleric DPS blows nuts at the moment. I think my boredom is more on a personal level with my cleric then it is with the game.

With that being said a few more patches should grab my interest but currently I'm just logging in casually atm since Clerics aren't really on par DPS wise with the other classes. The game is still one of the best MMO's on the market and since raiding on my cleric was meh that left the only thing left on my toon to do and that is notoriety grinds currently. I'm not an achievement hound or big collector nor do I putz around with dimensions so as I said it's mostly a personal thing not the game. I do play around with many other games so it's not like I'm sitting around with a long face. I'll be checking out the open beta of defiance this weekend but I'm not a big FPS player but this one might change my mind a bit since it is PVE based MMOFPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Well to be honest yeah I'm a bit bored but there is a big but. I was kind of spoiled with how much there was to do with classic Rift. SL just launched so there are very few zone events (variety) I'm tired of the two that pop in Ashora and Steppes. (I've done them more times then I can count) I've done some raiding but I'm not overly thrilled with my Cleric atm. I healed through all of classic Rift and was hoping that clerics would be viable DPS in SL......Well QQ what's the point of bringing cleric DPS when the other 3 classes (especially rogues) just dominate. Meh I don't want to be pigeon holed into healing again and can't be arsed leveling another toon through SL even though I have a lvl 47 rogue collecting dust. So since I burned through all the content to get raid ready and I top the DPS until all my CD's were blown (Rebuke says hi) sustained cleric DPS blows nuts at the moment. I think my boredom is more on a personal level with my cleric then it is with the game.

With that being said a few more patches should grab my interest but currently I'm just logging in casually atm since Clerics aren't really on par DPS wise with the other classes. The game is still one of the best MMO's on the market and since raiding on my cleric was meh that left the only thing left on my toon to do and that is notoriety grinds currently. I'm not an achievement hound or big collector nor do I putz around with dimensions so as I said it's mostly a personal thing not the game. I do play around with many other games so it's not like I'm sitting around with a long face. I'll be checking out the open beta of defiance this weekend but I'm not a big FPS player but this one might change my mind a bit since it is PVE based MMOFPS.
    Made a cleric as my main for SL, our dps is wack, but i switched from mage because i enjoy healing. But yeah we do need a dps boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Made a cleric as my main for SL, our dps is wack, but i switched from mage because i enjoy healing. But yeah we do need a dps boost.
    Damn, chloro is OP as hell right now : P

Yeah, I'm sad that clerics are still a little bit underpowered when it comes to dps. I do fine in experts and all, but I look at my performance compared to other classes in similar gear and feel a little sad. Doesn't bother me too much though, as I only really do experts/rift stuff now, no raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Damn, chloro is OP as hell right now : P

Yeah, I'm sad that clerics are still a little bit underpowered when it comes to dps. I do fine in experts and all, but I look at my performance compared to other classes in similar gear and feel a little sad. Doesn't bother me too much though, as I only really do experts/rift stuff now, no raiding.
    Yeah cleric DPS is fine in all other aspects of the game but GTFO when it comes to raid DPS. I'll hold a glimmer of hope that they fix them but not going to hold my breath maybe my buddy Elrar will poke the right people. /wink

I've moved away from the game in the last month to six weeks to the point I have let my subscription slide. The world itself is too limited to only a few zones worth doing things in once you hit max and have done all the questing - and dailies over and over again. Had got myself geared up well enough to start raiding but the requirements for dps with my mage or healing "ability" (which is such a nebulous concept in the first place) in the guild I was a recruit for drove me away.

Staring at a dummy and realising that missing a couple of one or two second reapplications of a dot, while i was juggling another three at the same time ... well, would be a huge loss in damage, it made me realise I simply didn't enjoy it. I'd much rather be in something where the movement, the mechanics of the fight are what I'm watching and not a series of notifications saying that I was about to miss X dot in 2 seconds, Y dot in 5 and Z in 8. Some specs were outrageously worse than others for this - defilemancer I'm looking at you - but most raid competitive spec's at the time I started to drift away from the game were of the same nature. Yes, like anything you can train yourself to do a spec without really needing to look but this was beyond what I wanted to endeavour to learn and somehow engrain.

Now, I've been a hardcore raider in the past and I did tend to be a healer - but I dunno, the rotations having to be that tight? I decided that there was no way I would be able to practically keep them up in any fight with a lot of movement and effects and so both those standards would probably make a poor raider in rift. Or if they were fights where I didn't need to move much at all and could go nuts with what I had been doing for hours on end at a dummy - well, that I could do tank and spank in another game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of spamming 1 and 2 all night long but it felt from what I -perceived- to be coming that it was a step too far. And having quested through The Secret World and WoW's recent expansion - I don't really see why everyone is raving about the questing quality in Rift. Its better than classic rift, yes... but its still a tired ethos and design to questing simply presented in a different light. Kill x mobs due to killing 1, versus getting it from a quest giver? Not a big change. Heck, LOTRO managed to shake its questing up more and that's something I never would've expected to say. Let alone that an entire end zone was comprised of a very short story chain and then nothing but carnage quests and an environment for 2 sets of dailies which used about 1/4 of the zones geography and 3 zone events ... such a waste. The latter zones did really feel like they ran out of time. The earlier zones having such an outstanding presentation to them and definitely a more involved storyline and effort to take the player there. That most assuredly fell away by the later zones.

All that being said? I constantly - perhaps every second day or so come to check this particular part of the forums in the hope of hearing whats coming and where the next patch will go. Rift is a game I want to like ... yet haven't since about 6 weeks-2 months after the release of the expansion.
    Last edited by Laikai; 2013-01-16 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Spelling/Word correction

I really only raid and do the bare minimum in everything else needed to raid. Usually log right off after raid night and go to sleep.

The potential to get bored of a game is inherent so long as you have no variety in gaming. But I don't subscribe to exclusivity or fanaticism with games. So it's pretty rare I get "bored" regardless.

But but but Wild Strike..

I'm starting to get bored with it to be honest. It's not that there isn't enough to do. I still have a lot to get done. I think that's kinda the problem. The grinds are finally getting to me. I feel like I have to do dailies and the Chronicle every day and I am unable to do that and still raid some days. So that means I rarely got to go PvP, which I need to grind Karhtan Ridge rep for that trinket and CQ for the CQ Power. I still need to do a lot more Hunts for Torvan rep as well. I am bored of just doing dailies, the chronicle, and Expert if I have the time. I am pretty sure it is just me and not the game though. I just do not have the time I used to to dedicate to this type of game. It used to be that 30-60 minutes to do dailies was just the beginning of my game play for the day, now it seems like the bulk of it, and it's just too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It used to be that 30-60 minutes to do dailies was just the beginning of my game play for the day, now it seems like the bulk of it, and it's just too much.
    Funny, because that's the reason I started to look away from Mists of Pandaria. I felt like dailies and rep grinding was the only thing I ever had time for. A lot of it is because of how invested I was in my account. I had every character maxed before the expansion and every raid and a boatload of achievements to boot. The only things left to me were very time consuming and seemed generally unobtainable.

With Rift I feel like my time in the game is rewarded even if minimal. It could be that my guild still has people leveling and doing hunt rifts constantly, but I can see how once that dries up it starts to become the long grinds again. Thankfully I have tons of easier to obtain achievements and exploring to do, not to mention every carnage quest and all that. It sounds like you are in the same boat I was in for WoW, so I understand.

Deleted
    Best thing to do is take a break, and come back to it fresh later on.

This is what I've done for years.

I think my problem is mostly that I used to have 4-10 hours a day to play, and more on weekends, where now, I have 3 hours a day where I can actually play without distraction and then another maybe 2 that I only actually play half of. Weekends, it's actually not a lot more sometimes, and I have constant distractions while trying to play.

For example, the first time I actually saw Volan pop, I was able to go tag him, and help bring him down, then had a major family distraction, then dinner was ready, then it was time to bathe my daughter, then she didn't want to go to bed, then it was raid time, then duaghter had a nightmare....I never even got to the other stuff behind it, and that all happened in the time I normally did dailies, so I didn't even get that done that day.

My guildies tell me I am going about rep wrong, that I shouldn't mess with the dailies. I should just grind out IA and be done with it. The problem I have with that is IA is just so boring after a while. I mean I already leveled 45-50 via IA and did plenty of IA at 50. I then leveled my Cleric alt from 10-37 via IA. Now I just have more IA to do, and alot more of it as well. IA does not provide that much rep after all. It's either that or fishing, but now they have limited the fishing to a daily quest, so not even sure I wanna do that.

I've gotten burned out before, and taken breaks in the past as well. I have been playing MMOs since EQ after all, one does not play for that long without breaks. It just feels different this time for some reason, which is why I am having a hard time saying it is just me this time. It must at least partially be the game I think. It could also be that I did not really have a break between "chocolate" and SL. I didn't start until 1.8ish, so it was just about as I was finishing everything up, minus a tier and a half of raiding, that I had to start all over again. I may have hit it too hard at the start too, not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten burned out before, and taken breaks in the past as well. I have been playing MMOs since EQ after all, one does not play for that long without breaks. It just feels different this time for some reason, which is why I am having a hard time saying it is just me this time. It must at least partially be the game I think. It could also be that I did not really have a break between "chocolate" and SL. I didn't start until 1.8ish, so it was just about as I was finishing everything up, minus a tier and a half of raiding, that I had to start all over again. I may have hit it too hard at the start too, not sure.
    Speaking as someone who has gone from having 14 hours a day playing an MMO, to maybe 2-3 if I'm lucky, it really requires a complete overhaul of your emotional and intellectual response to video games. I say emotional just to represent that psychological attachment to rewards and accomplishments and how you go about getting them.

It sounds like it's crazy, but your brain has programmed itself into how you enjoy MMOs. If you suddenly aren't able to use that process to find the asme enjoyment, it's hard to understand where the problem is. For some people it's very easy to blame the game, which I almost did to MoP. It sounds so hippy or zen to say you just have to let your whole experience with them go and kinda take everything as it comes at face value.

It's a lot less exciting, because the anticipation isn't as grand. The peaks and experience aren't as extreme as they used to be. It's more like a steady, relaxing and enjoyable activity. It's all very strange, but I could probably write a doctoral thesis on it.

Maybe you are just finally getting burned out on repetitive tasks.
    It's not really anything against the game, but I think many people have had enough of this "everquest-generation" of MMORPG's.
    New content in them is fun but eventually it becomes more or less the same repetitive tasks.

Personally I'm finding I don't have much to do (that I'm willing to do.) I'm not willing to spam Ghunts or IAs all day so I only do my dailies, raid and do zone events/CQ if I happen to notice them. I've taken the approach that my rep grinds will come over time and the longer they take the more likely I am to have the IS/Planarite required to buy the new essences as I get them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just happens with any game, you do get bored and eventually you get that urge to play again,
    than theres some games you never return and you just go play another shiny game.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-01-21 at 08:16 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Well to be honest yeah I'm a bit bored but there is a big but. I was kind of spoiled with how much there was to do with classic Rift. SL just launched so there are very few zone events (variety) I'm tired of the two that pop in Ashora and Steppes. (I've done them more times then I can count)I think my boredom is more on a personal level with my cleric then it is with the game.

With that being said a few more patches should grab my interest but currently I'm just logging in casually atmThe game is still one of the best MMO's on the market and
    Edited out stuff that doesn't apply to me, but there is something lacking for sure in SL that was there in old Rift, something that kept me playing for more than 15 minutes every few days.

Yes, I've been logging in maybe twice a week or less. =/ And not for very long, either.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water