Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Oh yes, Speed has always been annoying. Rather funny how Nephenee was considered a goddess while Aran/Devdan merely okay due to a Speed cap difference of 1 point which allowed Nephenee to doubleattack the final bosses. <_<

And yes I secretly wish I could've used Volke instead of Sothe. Stupid Rebirth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nephenee was overpowered in both PoR and RD. She wasnt quite Amelia standards but her growths (while character stats are random, there's % chances per character that differ. Even among the same class different people have a chance to roll various stats) were ridiculous, IIRC she also had a high skillcap/roll chance. Nephenee/Zihark/Rolf pretty much murdered any level alongside Ike in PoR.

And yes Sothe would have been awesome to use, if Volke wasn't so damn amazing with Lethality Aether and the fact Sothe doesn't actually class up, his growths were close to broken, but the lack of a secondary tier gimped him.

A big omission for me from Kakusei is the Bishop class. For anyone who played SS you'd know Artur + Slay = Faceroll, and Bishops in other games weren't lacking for firepower either.

Edit: And for anyone who hasn't played Sacred Stones and doesn't know how broken Amelia is; she's arguably the weakest unit ever when she starts out, but even before she gets out of novice tier (yes SS had some characters who would tier 3 times, Knight, Fighter and Mage, they started off weak but easily became best in class) her strength and defence are rock solid. By the time she hits General she has the armour to ignore everything and the HP to shrug off magic, and she hits like a truck.

And she's fast, not Myrmidon fast, but she'll two hit Cavs and Paladins.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2013-01-19 at 12:27 PM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Well, Amelia/Ross/Ewan were kind of cheating by having overall more levels to actually gain stats, in my humble opinion.

As for Bishops being left out, I guess they were trying for "real" diversity with the branched promotion paths. I mean, it was cool back in Sacred Stones, but in some cases it felt boring, such as between choosing Valkyrie/Mage Knight (Light or Anima magic, gee) for L'Arachel. Even with Slayer, Bishops and Sages felt too similar for me as well, making Arthur promotion boring too. Battle Clerics (nunswithaxes) and Sages/Valkyries are at least quite different paths for your Clerics and Troubadours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Some games have a Fixed Stat Mode, where the stats grow by a fixed value per Level. Unfortunatly you have to beat the game on Random Mode to unlock it. I use ist on my 2nd hardmode runs. But even on random there is hardly a need to restart a level. Every char has a cap on his stats. Mostly you will reach it on most stats even on random. In some games you can use bonus experience in base to level up. This always gives 3 statpoints. You can use this to fill non maxed stats.

My main problem with FE was always, that you spend so much time building a team, and then they force some units for the final chapters upon you. This and that you can hardly use characters which join after half of the game. Most of the time you have one thats much better at the job. And quick characters are op while those wearing heavy armor are terrrible.
    You've never seen Amelia's general build in sacred stones with a set of swift shoes then. She could solo pretty much any map that doesn't consist of the giant dragons, and even then, it could be close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire Emblem is the best. Definitely underrated games... People should give it a try. The story and characters are unique and the game is fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Edit: And for anyone who hasn't played Sacred Stones and doesn't know how broken Amelia is; she's arguably the weakest unit ever when she starts out, but even before she gets out of novice tier (yes SS had some characters who would tier 3 times, Knight, Fighter and Mage, they started off weak but easily became best in class) her strength and defence are rock solid. By the time she hits General she has the armour to ignore everything and the HP to shrug off magic, and she hits like a truck.

And she's fast, not Myrmidon fast, but she'll two hit Cavs and Paladins.
    It wasn't the armor that made her stupidly powerful, it was her evasion. Gorgons couldn't even hit her half the time, and the only things that had a ghost of a chance of doing so were the three headed dogs and the dragon monsters.

Deleted
    Why the love for Amelia in particular, anyway? Never really considered her a gamebreaker. Sure, she was an excellent speedytank, but other than that I felt she was rather average in all her other stats. :<

Though admittedly, that's most Fire Emblem characters in a nutshell anyway. 2-3 excellent stats, everything else ranging from average to bad. Wonder why I'm even bothering. <_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raminax View Post
    Why the love for Amelia in particular, anyway? Never really considered her a gamebreaker. Sure, she was an excellent speedytank, but other than that I felt she was rather average in all her other stats. :<

Though admittedly, that's most Fire Emblem characters in a nutshell anyway. 2-3 excellent stats, everything else ranging from average to bad. Wonder why I'm even bothering. <_<
    Mostly because she is fast as all hell. Gilliam (the other general) has great defense, but horrid speed, meaning he can be faceraped by pretty much any magic coming his way. Sure, you could give him speedwings, but why do that, when you could just as easily play the one that has nearly as much speed as a level 20 Hero?

I mean, on Amelia, going from a random gorgon: 0 to hit/20 damage/0 to crit. And this happens for nearly all but the fastest creatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah all of those 3 baby units from SS became super amazing once they tiered up 2 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ewan and Ross were pretty awesome, but Amelia was just above and beyond even that.

And her defence was only slightly lower than Gilliam's, which meant on the rare occasion you got past her Evade, she still took zero damage. She is still IMO the single most unbalanced FE unit, can take on entire squads in 5 on 5 and sweep the lot. Infact anyone who does 5v5 without her in their team is just asking for trouble.

I've only played 3 Fire Emblem games, but I like the series nonetheless. I played Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Sacred Stones. I liked all 3. I'm planning on picking up Awakening as well. The series has yet to disappoint me thus far, so I'm feeling hopeful.

Deleted
    Fengore, did you ever try Fire Emblem 4: Seisen no Keifu/Genealogy of the Holy War? If you think Amelia is among the most broken characters around in the entire series, then you haven't seen Sety with full Sety blood in action. A base magic of 21 as a lvl14 (out of 30) Sage with 105% speed growth together with a personal 30 might tome that adds 20 Speed and 10 Skill will probably make you rethink your stance.

Though admittedly, all the second generation characters in that game are one-man armies if you plan your relationships ahead. I wonder if you can create equally nasty kids in Awakening?

10+ Year Old Account
    Never got to play Genealogy, looked over his stats and it's really his caps vs Arthur's growths as to which caster to go with.

There's been a few broken magic users over time, Soren, Super Pupil Ewan, Nino (if you can stomach trying to level her up fast considering how late she comes in.. and the temptation of just going and butchering EVERYTHING with Jaffar instead) and Artur (But that's partially because Bishop slay is OP as hell)

Amelia is just one of those units that can best be described with the "I'm a Bus" meme gif.

Love the series. Dorkus FTW!

10+ Year Old Account
    On reflection, FE8 overall was too easy with far too overbalanced units. Joshua (especially with Natasha supports), the super recruits, really strong second tier recruits (and the option to be rid of your Jagen at the start!) and the entire Great Knight class.

But even so, I still stand by Amelia being the most unbalanced/overtuned character ever.

Deleted
    Awh shucks, you're not giving Seth enough credit. He's an Oifaye archetype, if anything.

Now, back to crying over Ike gaining nothing but HP the last 3 levels. -_-

Oh yes, Speed has always been annoying. Rather funny how Nephenee was considered a goddess while Aran/Devdan merely okay due to a Speed cap difference of 1 point which allowed Nephenee to doubleattack the final bosses. <_<

And yes I secretly wish I could've used Volke instead of Sothe. Stupid Rebirth.
    The problem was more that aran suffers from the same poor availability like the remaining dawn brigade. Devdan joins to late, and Dandev is to powerful at start so he eliminates the exp and when you could use him again he has poor availability until he comes back underleveled.

And yes Sothe would have been awesome to use, if Volke wasn't so damn amazing with Lethality Aether and the fact Sothe doesn't actually class up, his growths were close to broken, but the lack of a secondary tier gimped him.
    In Radiant Dawn he is bad again. He starts as a promoted unit so using him to kill stuff is ineffective from an xp view. This time he has a 3rd tier promotion but there is the problem. While volke promotes to assasin with a chance to insta-kill he promotes to shadow with a chance to reduce the enemies HP to 1. Which is arguably the worst ultimate in the game because all other elite skills are usually a kill. He has extreme crit chances and avoids and will double anyone so he will kill common soldiers without a procc of his ultimate. Getting his elite skill actually makes him weaker.

You've never seen Amelia's general build in sacred stones with a set of swift shoes then. She could solo pretty much any map that doesn't consist of the giant dragons, and even then, it could be close.
    Nope never played that game. I guess shes the exception, because in many games the ones with high speed are dominating

Deleted
    Well, that example was to simply illustrate how Speed is the one stat to rule them all. I'll admit I've preferred using Aran in most of my playthroughs regardless though, simply because he's fairly easy to level (in comparison to most of the Dawn Brigade, anyway) and has a prettier Halberdier/Lancer model than Nephenee. Wish Radiant Dawn had actual support conversations and not generic quips, though. I feel so shallow when I use Dawn Brigade units because they have so little characterization, but most of them have good potential.

As for Sothe, yes, he simply sucks at combat. And that's what all the final chapters are, save for a single chest in the first part of Endgame. Pitiful Strength cap along with the weakest weapon type really doesn't help him. <_<

And Amelia... she's actually fairly speedy, so she's not very different from the usually dominant units. Speedy as far as traditional Knights/Generals go, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awh shucks, you're not giving Seth enough credit. He's an Oifaye archetype, if anything.
    The only one I've ever used was Titania, and sparingly.

Also FE8. Joshua Assassin or Blademaster, or do you drop him entirely for Marisa?

Deleted
    Swordsmaster, his Strength usually turns out good enough to break the Assassin stat caps for me. That's not to say that I don't like Marisa, she's an awkwardly cute character in her own way, but she fits better as an Assassin imo, and I like diversity in my armies. But she requires a bit more effort, especially if nabbed in Ephraim's route.