10+ Year Old Account

Question Diet with exercise

I am swimming laps for 1 and a half hours in the morning, doing maybe 30 mins - 1 hour weight lifting in the afternoon, and going running for an hour in the evening. I am not particularly trying to gain muscle, while that is nice, I am foremost just trying to lose weight. My question is, with the above exercise plan, is it ok for me to be vegan on top of it, or should I be on a different kind of diet plan for optimal results. Thanks for the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    I am swimming laps for 1 and a half hours in the morning, doing maybe 30 mins - 1 hour weight lifting in the afternoon, and going running for an hour in the evening. I am not particularly trying to gain muscle, while that is nice, I am foremost just trying to lose weight. My question is, with the above exercise plan, is it ok for me to be vegan on top of it, or should I be on a different kind of diet plan for optimal results. Thanks for the help!
    I'm not a health expert by any means, but as long as your getting enough calories for you body to operate throughout the whole day, then everything seems fine.
    Call me House.

We would need a lot more information before we could tell you if thats the right plan for you or not. To me it sounds like you are doing far too much unless you are really pushing yourself and trying to get into sub 10% body fat area. For sure though you wont gain muscle long term with that plan. The muscles need time to rest and repair themselves and doing that much cardio will only slow the repair process down. You need to pick one goal and aim for it, either burning fat or building muscle.

Of course if you are new to exercising you will notice some muscle gains for the first few weeks but that will stop once your body becomes used to what you are doing.

Its fine being vegan, but you still have to make sure your body gets the right amount of calories and the right break down of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Id recommend either seeing a dietitian or doing a lot of research to make sure you get the diet right, as thats where you will make or break this thing.
    Last edited by Sprinky; 2013-01-17 at 01:45 AM.

Vegan or not, as long as your saturated fat, processed carbohydrates and sugar are low in your diet, and if you are drinking mostly water, with exercise you will drop weight.

This is probably not the place to be asking this stuff by the way, these forums are full of people who think they know it all and are happy to give miss-information.

A certain type of diet plan begins to become important when you are at the point of wanting to build muscle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinky View Post
    We would need a lot more information before we could tell you if thats the right plan for you or not. To me it sounds like you are doing far too much unless you are really pushing yourself and trying to get into sub 10% body fat area. For sure though you wont gain muscle long term with that plan. The muscles need time to rest and repair themselves and doing that much cardio will only slow the repair process down. You need to pick one goal and aim for it, either burning fat or building muscle.

Of course if you are new to exercising you will notice some muscle gains for the first few weeks but that will stop once your body becomes used to what you are doing.

Its fine being vegan, but you still have to make sure your body gets the right amount of calories and the right break down of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. Id recommend either seeing a dietitian or doing a lot of research to make sure you get the diet right, as thats where you will make or break this thing.
    When you say pick one goal, could trying to build muscle still get me the weight loss I want? I know muscle weighs more than fat but I am currently overweight (28.2 BMI). So could going the muscle route still get me down to the approprate weight? Yes I am very new to frequent exercising, I'm just trying to utilize everything that is available to me.

Vegan or not, as long as your saturated fat, processed carbohydrates and sugar are low in your diet, and if you are drinking mostly water, with exercise you will drop weight.
    I only drink water and orange juice.

I only drink water and orange juice.
    Cool, check the orange juice though, most readily available supermarket juices are loaded with sugar and sugar is the devil when it comes to losing weight..

You can absoloutely build some muscle / tone up and at the same time lose weight. In your case, you're not aiming to be a body builder so you have no need for a "bulk" phase. I have before and after shots of myself starting at a certain weight, flipping my diet to healthy and high protein, and in the after shot I was a few kilo's lighter but still had noticibly put on muscle..

When it comes to your weight sessions, don't go and lift as heavy as you can until failure.. lift a comfortable weight with high reps and sweat it out. This will tone that muscle area and burn the fat on that area at the same time..

No you will be much better off getting your BMI down to a healthy level and then you can look at focusing more on building muscle. Dont be put off by that though because you will be suprised how much muscle you have when you get down to a healthier size Also as I said before you will notice muscle growth for a period whilst your body adjusts to your new routine.

Its great you have high motivation and are excited to do as much as possible. The most important thing though is that if your motivation slips then you should always know that even going for a walk will bring huge benefits to your long term weight loss. A lot of people give up because they burn themselves out after a few weeks of trying hard. Even if you go for a 45 minute walk each morning though or go swimming once or twice a week it will be so good for you

Also to second what Chareoss said. Contrary to popular belief fruit juices are generally bad when it comes to weight loss. Its another reason that Id recommend seeing a dietitian because there are a lot of 'urban myths' surrounding diets and things that are healthy for the body.
    Last edited by Sprinky; 2013-01-17 at 02:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks for the help!