GTA 4 framerate issues

Ok I have everything maxed out except view distance because my GPU only has 1.2gb of memory dedicated to it and i drop down to say 28 fps in some places usually stays between 30-40 FPS sometimes 50 depends is this normal?
    Last edited by Seiz; 2013-01-17 at 02:20 AM. Reason: mis type
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Moved to Computer Forum.

Kind of hard to answer this when we don't know what game this is about.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Oops my mistake I meant GTA 4 in the title!
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

If you're maxing most settings, yes that's normal. GTA4 is still a very demanding and poorly optimized game.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I updated the thread title for you.

As others above have stated, GTA 4 is a poorly optimized game for PC which makes it extremely demanding. I remember having big issues running it smoothly at 60 frames per second, even with the settings dialed down a fair bit. I've run the game with both a 560 Ti clocked to ~950MHz and my current 7970 clocked at 1.1GHz and seen no significant difference.

There are numerous threads around the internet dating back to ~2008/9 discussing possible solutions. An example can be found here: http://forum.iv-multiplayer.com/index.php?topic=53.0. If that will help you or not I have no idea, but it might be worth a read.

Ok thanks guys I wasn't sure I got everything to the full load max but even at 35 fps I still can't really notice it seems smooth to me I just watched fraps and was like hmm this is a 4 year old game but didn't know how poorly optimized it was because I bought this game last night and today I picked up Dishonored and installed and played today and maxed out all the settings and so far it seems stuck at 60 FPS. I am now not really looking forward to GTA 5 though if 4 was that demanding you guys think it will be more optimized?

GTA 4 engine is not all at best. My graphics on my monitor kept messing up when the game first released. I had to keep resetting my graphic settings in game and it would re-layout the screen to what the game should look like. Very annoying.

Make sure your drivers are updated.

I can only hope that Rockstar updated many things in their Rage Engine to make GTA5 optimized for all the latest computer hardware.

Their are articles from Rockstar team saying the engine has been updated.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gta-...ments-revealed

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/gt...ar_engine.html
    Last edited by majinsnake; 2013-01-17 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by majinsnake View Post
    GTA 4 engine is not all at best. My graphics on my monitor kept messing up when the game first released. I had to keep resetting my graphic settings in game and it would re-layout the screen to what the game should look like. Very annoying.

Make sure your drivers are updated.

I can only hope that Rockstar updated many things in their Rage Engine to make GTA5 optimized for all the latest computer hardware.

Their are articles from Rockstar team saying the engine has been updated.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gta-...ments-revealed

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/gt...ar_engine.html
    Max Payne 3 is about as optimized as you can get a top shelf PC game, but they didn't port it and built it from the ground up side by side with the console versions. I doubt GTA5 gets the same treatment.

With a 570 this is pretty much what you can expect. GTA 4 on PC is pretty good and looks better than console by far (I own 360 and PC, switched between them on the same monitor to compare), but ultimately it is about as well optimised as a square wheel. Not much you can do about that. If you're getting 30+, it's more than playable, so just enjoy it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    be sure to have apply every patch to GTA4. It did help me getting good framerate.

Other than that, yeah, GTA4 is pretty infamous for being a bad PC port (though a great game)

Quote Originally Posted by tohyatvc View Post
    With a 570 this is pretty much what you can expect. GTA 4 on PC is pretty good and looks better than console by far (I own 360 and PC, switched between them on the same monitor to compare), but ultimately it is about as well optimised as a square wheel. Not much you can do about that. If you're getting 30+, it's more than playable, so just enjoy it.
    Oh like i said it looks wonderful and feels really smooth. A question would a.680 increase it by much? Just curious because i don't plan on upgrading til the 700 series.