New lock, what am I missing? Observer vs Imp.

All the guides say to use Observer. I have done hours of testing, both on dummies and in heroics. The imp outdpses the Observer by about 25%. Am I missing something? Why use a lower dps pet? Someone smack me in the face with the reason, I just cannot see it.

It's thought that because of the Imp's slow attack speed when using the glyph, recount thinks combat has ended and then restarted so the results (which show average DPS over the entire combat length) incorrectly show the Imp doing more DPS than it really is.

Are you using the glyph of demon training?

It could also be because you're not manually using Optical Blast with your Observer.

I've been playing sac since Mop so pardon my not knowing this but...If using Imp or Observer are we macroing pet abilities to ours in order to get them to que the spells better?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It's thought that because of the Imp's slow attack speed when using the glyph, recount thinks combat has ended and then restarted so the results (which show average DPS over the entire combat length) incorrectly show the Imp doing more DPS than it really is.

Are you using the glyph of demon training?

It could also be because you're not manually using Optical Blast with your Observer.
    It is easy tog et around that, just melee the target and you'll stay in combat.

To be quite honest, with some more testing, the observer is the least effective pet as far as dps goes, my Void Lord does more dps. So far I see no reason at all to use the Observer except an interrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    To be quite honest, with some more testing, the observer is the least effective pet as far as dps goes, my Void Lord does more dps. So far I see no reason at all to use the Observer except an interrupt.
    As long as the voidlord is tanking something, he's the highest dps (except maybe for the fel/wrathguard) because of void shield.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115236/void-shield

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    It's a simple baseline fact that the Observer has a higher damage output than any other pet, except for the Wrathguard/Felguard I guess. The reason people pick the Imp is either for movement reasons or to provide the stamina buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spektroman View Post
    As long as the voidlord is tanking something, he's the highest dps (except maybe for the fel/wrathguard) because of void shield.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115236/void-shield

He does dramatically more than the Wrathguard.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    It's a simple baseline fact that the Observer has a higher damage output than any other pet, except for the Wrathguard/Felguard I guess. The reason people pick the Imp is either for movement reasons or to provide the stamina buff.
    please eloborate,
    Because OP is experiencing different results. Do you have any stats to back up that statement?

Deleted
    I almost always use the Shivara when we do Blade Lord or any other 100% single target fight, as destruction. She does a ton of damage and looks super cool.
    I also have the experience of the Observer doing less damage than any other minion.

Check for yourself if you're running DT glyph. It's not a matter of the player going out of combat, but the imp. Put imp on a dummy (not condoning insignificant sampling as fact, but just for the sake of it) and come back 5 minutes later. Divide the damage done, not dps, by the seconds it was hitting the dummy. Do the same with the observer. There's your answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgromir View Post
    [/COLOR]

please eloborate,
    Because OP is experiencing different results. Do you have any stats to back up that statement?
    http://simulationcraft.org/510/Pets_...ffliction.html

Sorry I left it out in the first post. As you can see though the difference is incredibly small, so I would personally always go for Imp, simply because it's ranged.