Poll: Should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    No. This would start a rebellion (that I would enthusiastically support if this happened) even faster than trying to confiscate all guns in America.
    Oh, its you again.

Seems like everything you comment on would result in a violent civil war.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My option isn't on your poll.

I think that these courses and licenses should apply to those parents who wish to adopt, or become foster parents. Hopefully, this will help detour some of the worse foster parents. People who just want to do the horizontal shuffle and make a kid shouldn't have to though.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

I'd be happy if the government offered parenting classes at state expense, that would be nice.

Lets take it a step further Chemical Castration at birth! All people wishing to have children must take and pass a test to be deemed qualified for parenthood.

On a serious note, in my experience the majority of "bad" parents are the unwilling ones, where circumstances, read stupidity, lead to an unintended pregnancy and an unwanted child. Although my best friend was an "accident" and his mom is one of the best parents I've met.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah you can't really demand that. And honestly i don't think it would change all that much.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'd be happy if the government offered parenting classes at state expense, that would be nice.
    The main problem is just that with optional courses is that the parents who would be the ones really reallllyyy needing the help and end up having awful hellions or mistreated children are often the "low" end people who typically reproduce at an astounding rate as a class and wouldn't go to it anyways. The bottom rung of America is where the majority of child abuse, child neglect, etc charges are from (not all but a good majority,) and these are the people that are the ones who are statistically proven to have more children than the middle-upper class families. They're ones who a mandatory system like the OP posted would be a great target of.

I think completion of a parenting course should be a requirement while going through the prenatal process. Just a 1 or 2 day course outlining big do's and don'ts, proper breastfeeding, time management, etc. If they avoid it, they get fined.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2013-01-19 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Oh, its you again.

Seems like everything you comment on would result in a violent civil war.
    When it is either confiscating all firearms in the country within a constitutional amendment legalizing such an action, or the government attempting to assert the authority to tell me that I can't have kids with my wife, yes. Bloody, violent civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Nah you can't really demand that.
    This.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-01-19 at 08:52 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no... I don't want kids but if for some crazy reason I did I sure as hell would not want someone telling me how to raise them. Having someone (who probably does not even HAVE kids) tell you that your way of raising your kids is wrong seems to be one of the biggest slaps in the face a person could receive.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Deleted
    Sounds wrong to me, I don't think anyone should really teach you how to raise your own child. Though i do think that some parents could use it.
    Like my mom for example.
    I'm becoming a parent soon myself and i wouldn't really like it if someone told me what and how to do it when its not wanted.

There should be some basic course. I know we actually have something like that here in Denmark where they teach how to handle the kid, and when and what to feed your baby and stuff like that. This course should of course be free of charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Sounds wrong to me, I don't think anyone should really teach you how to raise your own child. Though i do think that some parents could use it.
    Like my mom for example.
    I'm becoming a parent soon myself and i wouldn't really like it if someone told me what and how to do it when its not wanted.
    Don't you think it's a bit arrogant to assume you're just going to know how to raise a child properly? Have you not read any books on child psychology? Breast feeding tips? Good ways to listen/nurture? It's pretty much the same thing. Also, I really hope the answer to my questions are "yes". Instead of looking at it as people telling you what to do, I'd assume you'd just be grateful for the assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Don't you think it's a bit arrogant to assume you're just going to know how to raise a child properly? Have you not read any books on child psychology? Breast feeding tips? Good ways to listen/nurture? It's pretty much the same thing. Also, I really hope the answer to my questions are "yes". Instead of looking at it as "people are telling me what to do", I'd assume you'd just be grateful for the assistance.
    Most teenagers think they know what they are doing better than anyone else ever, though. Which means teenagers are the best parents, clearly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Most teenagers think they know what they are doing better than anyone else ever, though. Which means teenagers are the best parents, clearly.
    Clearly! 16 and Pregnant is supposed to be educational, I forgot :P

Or what? We're going take their kids away and have a bunch of kids grow up in orphanages? Because that's such an awesome environment to be raised in.
    Last edited by Abysal; 2013-01-21 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Don't you think it's a bit arrogant to assume you're just going to know how to raise a child properly? Have you not read any books on child psychology? Breast feeding tips? Good ways to listen/nurture? It's pretty much the same thing. Also, I really hope the answer to my questions are "yes". Instead of looking at it as people telling you what to do, I'd assume you'd just be grateful for the assistance.
    When people think about a parenting license they assume its on how they should raise a child and what ideals to instill.

In reality it would be more of a course on how to deal with things like diapers, nutrition, how to childproof your house or simply what you need to create a child friendly environment.

These are skills you dont learn anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Or what? We're going take their kids away and have a bunch of kids grow up in orphanages? Because that's such an awesome environment to be raised in.
    How come people assume that the government will remove children from the household, you would simply have to pay a fine.

It is a good idea, and it would make the parents so many times better, but people would still become parents, allowed or not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post
    When people think about a parenting license they assume its on how they should raise a child and what ideals to instill.

In reality it would be more of a course on how to deal with things like diapers, nutrition, how to childproof your house or simply what you need to create a child friendly environment.

These are skills you dont learn anywhere else.
    Yeah I think it's reaching a bit far if the program starts telling you what kind of values you have to raise your child with, but there's tons of really basic things that people, like you said, really don't know how to do at first. I think the more prepared a parent is for the child the easier it actually is for them. It's not even inconveniencing them, it's saving them the trouble of having to crash and burn to learn things.

Deleted
    There should be mandatory parenting courses, but they would be most effective if studied at school. Forcing adults to go on courses would be hard to enforce.

I think people need to move away from the mindset that considers having children to be a basic human right. Personally I believe having children should be considered a privilege for those people lucky enough to able to do so.

Deleted
    I'd rather have some kind of mandatory Parenting Course at schools. (For kids ages 16+)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    I'd rather have some kind of mandatory Parenting Course at schools. (For kids ages 16+)
    On American TV they do the egg thing in biology !