Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you ever use the horn on your car?

If you drive, and have ever been in traffic, you inevitably know that sometimes people do dumb things on the road. Having said that, sometimes its not dumb things, but maybe someone is just not moving when there is a green light, and they need that nice little horn honk "nudge" to get them moving.

So.. have you ever honked at another driver before? If so, why did you honk at them?

I have honked several times at people because of doing stupid things, but mostly they have been just sitting at a green light probably texting. I have had a few people flip me off too, which is hilarious.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe once since the person in front of me was texting when the light was green. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually just throw up my hands and make my best "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" face.

I only use my horn if somebody's sitting at a green light or if they move to change lanes while I'm in the way & in their blind spot, etc. I usually only break out my horn if somebody either REALLY pisses me off, or if I need to immediately get a driver's attention for whatever semi-important reason.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I've never honked, but I've leaned out of the window and shouted at the woman on the street who dropped her finished cigarette to the ground and stepped it into the pavement with her heel, while there was a trashcan 1 meter behind her.
    Why would you yell at someone for that? What if the cigarette caught something in the trash can on fire? That probably wouldn't be too safe now would it?

OT: It is pretty well known that the horn is the least used "feature" of a car that is used, yet it costs $800-$1500 USD to install the horn in a car. If people don't use the horn that often (or if they just dont want a horn in their car) why should the federal government require that a horn be installed in every car? If it wasnt a requirement of the federal government, it could be an option and save people approx 1k on their car purchases.

Food for thought..

I don't often get very horny in my car, but it has been known to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Safety + sitting at a green light for at least three full seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    I usually just throw up my hands and make my best "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" face.

I only use my horn if somebody's sitting at a green light or if they move to change lanes while I'm in the way & in their blind spot, etc. I usually only break out my horn if somebody either REALLY pisses me off, or if I need to immediately get a driver's attention for whatever semi-important reason.
    I do the exact same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I've never honked, but I've leaned out of the window and shouted at the woman on the street who dropped her finished cigarette to the ground and stepped it into the pavement with her heel, while there was a trashcan 1 meter behind her.
    so setting the trashcan on fire is better? I have a few times usually when people aren't paying attention and backing up into me had this happen several times

Deleted
    I only ever use the horn to beep to someone I happen to know, just to wave at them...

I'm not like those angry arsebandits who beep furiously at the woman/learner driver who has just stalled the car at the lights and is struggling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use mine all the time, almost exclusive accompanied by the finger as well. Every time some stupid old person is doing 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, they get steady horn blast until they either speed up to the speed limit or pull over and let me pass. You sit at a green light for more than 3 seconds, its a constant blast till you get moving. You pull out in front of me close enough that I have to use my brakes? You get a 10 second blast with finger.

If you tailgate me, then I slam on my brakes so you either get the hint or spin off the road trying to avoid hitting me. IF you pass me afterwards, you then get the finger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I use mine all the time, almost exclusive accompanied by the finger as well. Every time some stupid old person is doing 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, they get steady horn blast until they either speed up to the speed limit or pull over and let me pass. You sit at a green light for more than 3 seconds, its a constant blast till you get moving. You pull out in front of me close enough that I have to use my brakes? You get a 10 second blast with finger.

If you tailgate me, then I slam on my brakes so you either get the hint or spin off the road trying to avoid hitting me. IF you pass me afterwards, you then get the finger
    Can I do a ride-along with you for a day? You sound like you have a good time driving.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Train horn, bitches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post

Question is, have you played the emergency brake game? If you pull it the rear lights are not engaged so it really F's with the tailgating person behind you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    If you pull it the rear lights are not engaged so it really F's with the tailgating person behind you.
    What do you drive? I have never owned or heard of a vehicle where the handbrake did not trigger the brake lights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    What do you drive? I have never owned or heard of a vehicle where the handbrake did not trigger the brake lights.
    2003 V6 Accord Coupe Manual - Here I am with the car on and the emergency/parking brake engaged at work. I also called my Uncle who is a mechanic at a dealership, he says he has never heard of a car that did engage the brakes lights when the parking/emergency brake was pulled.

Last edited by Codyak; 2013-01-17 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    I sometimes use it as a farewell noise when I am driving away from someone I don't expect to see for a while. I also use it to make friends and family jump. The only time I've used the horn directed at strangers is when someone seems to be day-dreaming/not paying attention when the traffic lights turn green and, I suppose, when someone has been particularly asshole-ish/dangerous, like nearly hitting me in motion.

When someone sleeps at a green light
    When someone does something stupid while I am in their blind spot
    When I see someone who I know good enough to be worth the effort of greeting him
    In shitty situations on the autobahn; for example when I drive at high speeds and a slow driver indicates a lane change. Only a short honk to make sure he notices me.

Other than that I do not honk at all. Inner city situations happen so fast that you can only honk after you corrected your own, or someone's else mistake and after that it really makes no sense to honk... everything's over already, you can just keep on driving and forget about it.

I use the horn on my car to communicate with other drivers to protect my safety and theirs. I have used it in the past most often to alert someone who is making a lane change that I am in his blind spot and he or she hasn't checked. This has saved me from being involved in a collision on a couple occasions.

Deleted
    Sometimes on roundabouts when women don't pay attention and push it in front of my car.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never used the horn on my car, but then again I don´t have my license that long yet. Just about 1,5 year now.