Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    In my experience, and I'll bet this is true for most people, 100% of the almost-accidents I've come out of have happened because someone didn't yield when they were supposed to, or ignored right of way, or did a lane change without signalling.
    Yea it's the worst around the boulevard in the summer months where I'm from. Everyone is distracted by the hot people jogging. There's 3 major intersections around the loop with "yield" right turns and I can't count how many near accidents I've seen specifically in those three places. Rotaries are also terrible.

reserved for idiots. and stupid teenage pedestrians who cross the streets on red lights with the speed of a turtle. come to think of it that falls under the same category
    Bane

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Yea it's the worst around the boulevard in the summer months where I'm from. Everyone is distracted by the hot people jogging. There's 3 major intersections around the loop with "yield" right turns and I can't count how many near accidents I've seen specifically in those three places. Rotaries are also terrible.
    Where do you live where all these hot people are jogging? Beach? I know in the US in California at least the highways arent near the beaches so people jogging on the beach are out of view from the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Where do you live where all these hot people are jogging? Beach? I know in the US in California at least the highways arent near the beaches so people jogging on the beach are out of view from the street.
    Maine right by the coast yea. It's only in the summer when tourists and summer people flock in, the jogging path is completely full and there's a road that passes right alongside it for about 3 miles overlooking the bay.

Me? Never. I've been in the drivers seat while practicing and my step dad honked it for this guy in front of us not going on a green light.

Honestly I'm a complete dick so I would honk if necessary, but most of the time if someone is doing something like going slow or not going ill be aggressive and quickly drive around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    What is this mystical blind spot people keep referring to? There's no blind spot in a car if you can turn your head. Trucks sure, buses maybe.

Personally I use the horn far less than would actually be needed. I drive so much different trucks and vans in the work that I can never seem to locate the horn button fast enough because they tend to be located all over the place in different models. Some most common usages would be when you're blocking the lane doing a last moment lane shift or fail to notice the green light.
    Unfortunately, I drive a convertible, and I can assure you there are MASSIVE blind spots on the rear post for the "roof."

OT. Hardly ever. if someone is coming into my lane my first response is to get out of their way...not honk. Slowing down to let them over seems more defensive and instinctual for me.

I won't honk if someone cuts me off, pulls out in front of me or otherwise does something jerkish. Primo, because it won't do any good and exists really as only a means to vent your own frustration, and secundo, i rarely get mad or frustrated.

Honking at idiots and flipping off is not a good idea. Road rage is a real deal and not something i want to mess with. In fact, about 3 months ago two cars got into a bit of road rage. Car 1 exited the highway and pulled into a parking lot to go shot. Car 2 followed, pulled a gun, and shot driver of car 1 to death. Me being oh so terribly inconvenienced by having to tap my breaks is in no way justification for a potential altercation.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of crazy drivers the other thing I do, although you can't really see it in my picture, is always have a dash-cam going all the time. It loops every 15 minutes and stores about five days worth at time. Had a guy cut in front of my ex-GF and slam on the brakes for a missed exit. Naturally her being behind the insurance and cops blamed her... I'm still waiting for the day when someone does it to me, I let them lie and lie, and then go "Oh yea, I actually have it all tape!"

If I'm in the hurry I might beep at the guy falling asleep at the lights or when someone does something stupid, traffic related.

what I hate with passion is douchebags beeping at their friends and stuff. grrrr, diediediedie slow horrible death!

My city is plagued with terrible drivers so I've had my fair share of honking, I've actually begun thinking of getting a train horn installed in my truck to freak the shit out of people XD

Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    Speaking of crazy drivers the other thing I do, although you can't really see it in my picture, is always have a dash-cam going all the time. It loops every 15 minutes and stores about five days worth at time. Had a guy cut in front of my ex-GF and slam on the brakes for a missed exit. Naturally her being behind the insurance and cops blamed her... I'm still waiting for the day when someone does it to me, I let them lie and lie, and then go "Oh yea, I actually have it all tape!"
    Where do I get one of those?

of course! when someone is being dumb. or trying to scare the piss out of my friends walking/on bikes

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    just yesterday... the woman in front of us wasn't paying attention until the last minute when i honked, she went through the yellow and caused me to get caught at a second red... and we were already running behind for a doc appointment.

I do very rarely. I hit it more often with my invoice book when Im trying to write.

I despise people who use it for everything, see your homie lay on the horn, at someones house lay on the horn, trying to communicate with someone to get their attention lay on the horn.

I only happened to use the horn at another driver once, when he just, without any signal whatsoever, crossed the double line 10 meters before the crossroad, raced past me and ignored red lights. I honestly thought he would crash into someone else, especially that it was snowing like crazy.

Now, pedestrians are a completely different story, since most of them behave like god damned medieval peasants, thinking nothing heavier or faster than a cart would appear on the road. They don't bother using their eyes, they just run past the street. Oh well, I guess that's the charm of living in a small town. I think every driver could write a book about how annoying pedestrians are, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    I used it yesterday after sitting behind a guy for 10 seconds at a green light.
    I am amazed you made it 10 seconds. I'll wait ~2 seconds.... max.

Other than to tell texters to gtfo at green lights in front of me, I don't really use it. Most of the time shit happens too fast on the road that I'm focused less on alerting them to their mistake and more on getting away from them. What it really comes down to is that I should be doing both, but I generally don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use my car horn often. I drive a little car and it isn't very loud compared to our other car. People knew I was there in that car. This one, not so much, and since people in my state are stupid, they never look when changing lanes. I've been hit once already, and 'dodge bullets' almost daily.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only use it in severe cases of WTF moments. Like when someone veers into my lane or cuts me off.

I used to drive an old car where the horn was a button on the side. The horn was never sounded, but I damned sure pounded the center of the steering wheel many times hoping it would. Never did get use dto that mess.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    I always use my Horn, even for no reason just to lol at people on the street.

Seeing as my car almost got smashed by a BMW X5 (I drive an Opel Vectra, not the biggest car compared to a SUV ) and the horn prevented it I use it when I feel its necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejt View Post
    I always use my Horn, even for no reason just to lol at people on the street.
    People that do this are annoying (to put it nicely) and I wish more police would actually hand out tickets to people who do this, as it IS illegal to misuse your horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?