Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Here are some articles

1) Motherboard information

2) A forum post about someone wanting to upgrade their CPU. They have the same machine as you

Where are you based?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean?

Maybe you could go for a CPU and GPU upgrade and use that machine to play on lower resolutions, maybe a maximum of 1680x1050.
    Hm, I think I'd rather invest in a new good system.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    This is the only thing from your AMD system I would salvage, honestly, and only to move the data off of it onto a newer HDD, because frankly, I doubt this HDD has much life left in it, given its age and that it isn't a Samsung or Western Digital HDD.
    I read an article about a big HDD test in which they tested seven different 250GB SATA HDDs, Samsung and Western Digital included. The HDD that came out on top was a Hitachi Deskstar. The article dates back to very early 2006, though, so this is very old and probably equally irrelevant. xD

Also, good move saying you want to keep discussion open in this thread as opposed to PMs, some people PM me but I really prefer people being open to more opinions, helps to make sure you don't get ripped off or anything. More opinions is always better!
    My thoughts exactly!

Honestly though, everything else in that Dell is just ancient stuff you shouldn't worry about anymore, it really won't do enough for you to bother anymore. If you have the budget for it, I'd build a whole new computer to replace this and then with the Intel i5-750 I would just upgrade the GPU as that CPU is still pretty decent. You could probably also get away with sticking in an SSD if you want some added speed and snippiness overall to that rig, but that I'd only suggest after you build the full new rig and stick in a new GPU.
    Yeah, I am pretty ready to let go of the AMD computer. It never hurts to check whether there are any parts that can be salvaged, though. There's no point in saving the memory, either? If so, has it got something to do with the fact that it's DDR2 and not DDR3? Since it's my understanding that the amount of RAM is in itself enough for today's gaming computers.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Hitatchi Deathstar, so lovely.
    Deathstar, even. Ahahaha. How amusing.

Deleted
    Sorry, I was being opaque. I was responding to your OP statement in regards to upgrading your system. I looked at a few of the CPUs which are compatible with your OEM Dell motherboard and it looks like you can significantly improve its performance with a CPU upgrade and a modest GPU upgrade. It would mean playing at low resolutions but you might see some okay gains.

Having said that I did also mention that upgrading archaic machines (by today standards) is like placing money on an open flame. To answer your most recent post in regards to keeping the RAM, I wouldn't bother, since its one of the cheapest components in a new build. Best to throw out the old and invest in the new.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    DDR2 won't be supported in anything newer anyways, so don't bother. All computers nowadays use DDR3, and hell, in 2 years time we'll have pretty much moved to DDR4, though several folks will likely still be on DDR3-based platforms, but they'll stop mass-producing DDR3 at that point, essentially.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Having said that I did also mention that upgrading archaic machines (by today standards) is like placing money on an open flame. To answer your most recent post in regards to keeping the RAM, I wouldn't bother, since its one of the cheapest components in a new build. Best to throw out the old and invest in the new.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    DDR2 won't be supported in anything newer anyways, so don't bother. All computers nowadays use DDR3, and hell, in 2 years time we'll have pretty much moved to DDR4, though several folks will likely still be on DDR3-based platforms, but they'll stop mass-producing DDR3 at that point, essentially.
    Alrighty, then. After having read a little, I can't say the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is particularly big, though.

Oh, and there was something I forgot to comment on.
    You could probably also get away with sticking in an SSD if you want some added speed and snippiness overall to that rig, but that I'd only suggest after you build the full new rig and stick in a new GPU.
    It's my impression that installing an SSD in an already running system is quite the hassle, if you are talking about the Intel system. Isn't it better to wait with an SSD until a completely new system?

Other than that, I must say, the fact that just a couple of years after the computer was purchased it's completely ancient, certainly tells something about how quickly the technology develops.

Anyway, just to compile the information thus far:

- There's no point in touching the AMD computer (the one from 2009).

- I have two upgrades for the Intel computer: a monitor (http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=742667, $214.15) and a GPU (http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=760515, $232.79).

Regarding the GPU, I found another on sale which is $17 more expensive: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=756496. I can't spot any difference, other than the one I linked having 2GB memory instead og 1GB, and that it has XFX in front of the name, while the other has Sapphire. Which is better?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the 7850 2GB is likely a better move. VRAM is good.

In terms of the SSD, if you want to install Windows on it, it's only a hassle if you aren't used to new installs, but you could still then run some programs from the old HDD (which you don't NEED to wipe) and install OS/games on SSD, as you see fit. But yeah, I'd do it as the last thing after funding everything else.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The normal GTX660 sells for 1495 on komplett.no, it's better than the 7850. At that price point the GTX660 is the best value for money.

Good catch. It's this you're referring to, right? At first I was a little boggled by the price difference between all the GTX660s there, but then I noticed that this one was on sale. I found another GTX660 for 1849 NOK. What's causing such a price difference?
    Last edited by Arctagon; 2013-01-23 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Good catch. It's this you're referring to, right? At first I was a little boggled by the price difference between all the GTX660s there, but then I noticed that this one was on sale. I found another GTX660 for 1849 NOK. What's causing such a price difference?
    That one is using a reference PCB and a cheap cooling solution. If you compare to this http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=760881 you can see that the card is almost double the size.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Which card would you suggest out of the three?

I don't know which 3 you are talking about now, what I do know is that if you have any desire of overclocking your card I would not get the Gainward one.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Last edited by Arctagon; 2013-01-23 at 03:06 PM.

Well the GTX 660 is better:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=660

Just don't count on any overclocking on that.

I have never overclocked before, so I don't even know how to do it.

Edit: I noticed that I linked to the monitor instead of the GPU in the other post. Fixed that now.

That Gainward card will be available up to and including the 27th of January. I would watch out for the super-weekend coming on Friday as well. They usually offer good prices on GPU's. Last weekend they had a 1895NOK 660ti which is a steal. If you can't find any better offers this weekend, just get the Gainward. That is, don't get if if you want to try OC.

It depends a little on the performance, but unless it's horrible I'm not likely to do any overclocking.

In that case, you will live well with a GTX660 of any kind. Don't buy it until you've seen what offers they have on Friday for super-weekend. You might see a 660ti or better at a nice price.

Yes, since you mentioned it, I will wait. I'm not entirely known with Komplett's system yet, I think. How often do they have super-weekends? And do they have sales monthly as well, considering the one they have now is called January sale?

10+ Year Old Account
    They have super weekends every weekend, but I honestly wouldn't call them super, you usually only save 20-50kr.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

In Norway you can save upto 20% on a gpu during super-weekends. Not always of course, but there is a chance of getting lucky.