Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Norton 360. Never had a problem.

I use AVG but I don't have it installed cause it's a fucking bloated piece of shit just like every other antivirus.

once or twice a year I will download it, scan my machine and remove it - just for the peace of mind cause it never finds anything.

properly setup firewall + common sense is all you need really.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potente View Post
    Norton 360. Never had a problem.
    Norton is terrible, at least for someone who downloads a lot of bootlegs and stuff...Nod32 all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    All I can say is that you must have done something silly to get that virus/keylogger.
    ya...i mean its not like you cant get infected from java or mainstream website outsourcing their adds/banners to a 3rd party servers (who's super duper secure ofc) or corrupt files from mainstream wow addon sites (hi hackers).

have fun living in your bubble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Malwarebytes goes great with AVG. Spybot Search & Destroy is pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    You never will until you get hit by a really nasty virus or keylogger and find your bank account empty one day or that work you spent all year doing gone / corrupt. :P i once took that attitude and learnt the hard way.
    you don't get 'hit' by a virus (is there such thing as virus these days anyway? it's all trojans and keyloggers and shit). you really have to do something silly to catch anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    ya...i mean its not like you cant get infected from java or mainstream website outsourcing their adds/banners to a 3rd party servers (who's super duper secure ofc) or corrupt files from mainstream wow addon sites (hi hackers).

have fun living in your bubble.
    If you get infected through those vulnerabilities then chances are your anti-virus program wouldn't have stopped it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    If you get infected through those vulnerabilities then chances are your anti-virus program wouldn't have stopped it either.
    ive had my trend micro block banners when that server hosting banner site got hacked or whatever.

This one seems to be a consensus (or towards the top) in the free category
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409393,00.asp
    Last edited by phenix; 2013-01-17 at 11:58 PM.

use a free one, Comodo internet security, super customizable so i like it, and so far never let me down...

It is really annoying when trying to install cracks though (totally for backup copies so dvds wont scratch, you know)
    It will block it right away, you dont have much choice in that, then again it might just be me who havent discovered just how to allow them, but usually takes a bit to work around it, but works good.

Also i cant agree that ESET is lightweight, that thing drains more resources than my gf. (this is a joke, inb4 sexism)

15+ Year Old Account
    AVG with Malwarebytes, both on the free version, are a solid couple to have if you also consider money. I tend to use them and install them for my clients and I never had problems in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    nod32(from eset) light weight but very thorough yet basic settings work very well already.
    Yeah used Nod32 back in the day when windows 7 just came out
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    ESET Nod32
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Nod32 is also great (or used to be, havent used in a while)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    ESET Nod32, ive tried a few others...its the only 1 that doesn't seam to let anything through
    Rather ironic how half of the thread recommends crap which has been consistently been rated at the very bottom of the same comparison OP linked, in last few years even below MSE. Right now it's rated #21...

Norton is terrible
    I hear nothing but horror story's from Symantec customers normally about Norton.
    ...while Norton is #4 on the list...

Whole thing's been blown out of proportions when considering things like:

People really should be reading more and question every piece of crap they find from the internet before jumping into conclusions. ESET Nod32 is definitely the most overrated product ever mentioned in any AV related threads on this forum, and I really can't figure out why.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    ESET Nod32
    This right here. I've used ESET for a few years never have had an issue. Even have a lot of my friends using it now and none of them have run into any problems.

Deleted
    Common sense of course, and a combination of MSE and Malwarebyte.
    I tried MSE the first time about 5-6 months ago and since then I installed it on every machine I had to fix lately.

A scan with MSE every week and Malwarebyte every time I think someone downloaded some crap :P

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Rather ironic how half of the thread recommends crap which has been consistently been rated at the very bottom of the same comparison OP linked, in last few years even below MSE. Right now it's rated #21...

...while Norton is #4 on the list...

Whole thing's been blown out of proportions when considering things like:

People really should be reading more and question every piece of crap they find from the internet before jumping into conclusions. ESET Nod32 is definitely the most overrated product ever mentioned in any AV related threads on this forum, and I really can't figure out why.
    I find it funny that ranks even matter. Norton has become a program that from personal experience has caused more issues (and I'm not talking about my machine but others I've seen that use it) then it has fixed. I've yet to experience a single issue with ESET over the last 3+ years I've used it. Ranks do not always mean anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    None, Debian/OSX.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    I find it funny that ranks even matter. Norton has become a program that from personal experience has caused more issues (and I'm not talking about my machine but others I've seen that use it) then it has fixed. I've yet to experience a single issue with ESET over the last 3+ years I've used it. Ranks do not always mean anything.
    I agree, before using Nod32 I was using Norton...and I got something I couldn't for the life of me get rid of. So I called them too see if I could get a push in the right direction on what tool I need to download to remove it, since a lot of things can be removed via a small fix if you know exactly what you have. But they wouldn't tell me, they said all we can do is remotely remove it for 60$ fee, and I said "screw that I will just wipe my pc and start fresh"...ditched Norton after that!
    Last edited by jmmathe1988; 2013-01-18 at 01:02 AM.

I was using AVG, AVAST, and I couldn't get rid of a trojan that kept changing it's filename about 7 years ago. No other free anti-virus was updated enough to deal with it. I sure wasn't about to pay for one and get the same result.

Some of the other anti-virus companies get their definitions through ESET. The makers of NOD32. I know Mcafee does.

Never use more than 1 anti-virus program. Lots of problems will result. Such as detecting false files that 1 program picks up, and the other does not....claiming to be a virus.

Just install adblock plus extension in your browser and you will not have to worry about things installing on your system without your knowledge.
    Last edited by majinsnake; 2013-01-18 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    Norton has become a program that from personal experience has caused more issues
    I agree, before using Nod32 I was using Norton...and I got something I couldn't for the life of me get rid of.
    Welcome to the future guys... Norton was bad until 2008, NIS 2009 and onwards all of those old problems are gone. It's time to update your knowledge and comments after living in the dark ages for almost five years now.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Common sense of course, and a combination of MSE and Malwarebyte.
    I tried MSE the first time about 5-6 months ago and since then I installed it on every machine I had to fix lately.

A scan with MSE every week and Malwarebyte every time I think someone downloaded some crap :P
    This guy right here. MSE is simple, lightweight and it gets the job done.

Dont use any, just have malwarebytes, sandboxie and Nmap running
    Does Warlock Stuffz