Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Elegon arcane spec question

I'll be trying out for a new guild tonight, and they are doing heroic Elegon. I wanted to get feedback on whether the haste build or mastery build is best for this fight? I want to make the best impression I can since its a trial.

Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...emise/advanced --my current haste build, at 14.86% hit

In my mastery build I'm hit capped and have 63% mastery full raid buffed with my current ilvl

10+ Year Old Account
    I havent got any proof to back this up, but I think the haste built is favored over the mastery build in this case because it will give you more dps on the orb phase (because you reach 6 stacks faster).

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

10+ Year Old Account
    I play in a 10 man raiding guild, but I don't think that matters...
    I've tried the haste build. But I'm not a big fan of it. I have a mastery build with RoP. I believe I'm about 66% mastery fully buffed. And I never drop my 6 stack. Scorch weaving makes it easy to keep it up and mana above 85%. If I crit an orb I can almost 1 shot it. If not its still an easy 2 to 3 spells to kill it. I always have time to help a guildie with his even with the 5th or 6th wave of orbs.

Below is a link to my best dps on H Elegon. Only having a 499 ilvl, I think its pretty good and that's without 5% spell damage. At the time is was ranked about 108.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7176&e=7557

Deleted
    It doesnt really matter. Dont drop your stacks and you will have no problem what so ever with the orbs.

Just use arcane explosion while you going to your spot and you will not lose your stacks. You can manage not to lose stacks during the add phase, but its a quite dangerous.
    You may save your mirrors to add phase for more safety. Anyway, orbs will melt in seconds if you are arcane.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually Barrage the sparks when they first come out because it cleaves to the other sparks.

I can't really say which one is best for the encounter. I believe it is said in the arcane PVE guide although I may be mistaken, but the difference between the mastery and haste build is very small.

I've recently only killed heroic Elegon once, and I personally think that the mastery build would be better for this fight. My reasoning for this would be simply that with the mastery build your spells hit harder. With a good critical hit I can nearly one shot the Energy Charges (orbs), which might give me more time on the boss because I am not spending additional casts trying to kill the orbs. Then again I have not used the haste build for this fight, I just like watching the orb I am assigned to drop like a rock.

Oh and just something in case the group decides to put you on the Total Annihilation rotation, Greater Invisibility is your friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux-aeterna View Post
    I can't really say which one is best for the encounter. I believe it is said in the arcane PVE guide although I may be mistaken, but the difference between the mastery and haste build is very small.

I've recently only killed heroic Elegon once, and I personally think that the mastery build would be better for this fight. My reasoning for this would be simply that with the mastery build your spells hit harder. With a good critical hit I can nearly one shot the Energy Charges (orbs), which might give me more time on the boss because I am not spending additional casts trying to kill the orbs. Then again I have not used the haste build for this fight, I just like watching the orb I am assigned to drop like a rock.

Oh and just something in case the group decides to put you on the Total Annihilation rotation, Greater Invisibility is your friend.
    Haste and Mastery builds are only even if you 6-charge camp on single target.

For multiple targets or AoE, Mastery does better.

For charge dumping with ABarr, Haste does better.

Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    I havent got any proof to back this up, but I think the haste built is favored over the mastery build in this case because it will give you more dps on the orb phase (because you reach 6 stacks faster).
    Anyone have any input on his comment? Is that true?

I did amazingly against the orbs as mastery, 500k+ crits. I never drop stacks unless alter timing. I can solo 3 orbs for the first 2, and then 2 for the next two if needed. I run haste now so I can offspec frost but I wouldn't swap to haste for this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr729 View Post
    I did amazingly against the orbs as mastery, 500k+ crits. I never drop stacks unless alter timing. I can solo 3 orbs for the first 2, and then 2 for the next two if needed. I run haste now so I can offspec frost but I wouldn't swap to haste for this fight.
    Can you link your armory for me please?

I had trouble with the 4th and 5th adds last week running mage armor, I switched to frost for a faster cast time and I had no trouble after that. I stack haste in gear and gems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    Anyone have any input on his comment? Is that true?
    you should already be at 6 stacks so he's comment is nonsense.. the only time you aint on 6 stacks is your first 5 casts on pull(or well maybe if your healers are slacking when you soak). As some one explained you can use Arcane explosion to keep stacks, though i have never had a problem with that i just make sure to burn my mana a bit more than usual just before i go(blink) to my spot(middle spark), scorch spam(1-2) till i am there, place RoP and use AM. Just watch your Stack timer and use AE if needed before placing rune. in the Add phase i tend to hold back for as long as possible with dps to avoid getting agro, but use AE or AM and break it straight away to keep stacks, always choose an add that have taken the most damage as well to ensure i wont get agro.

As for your question i think mastery will perform a lot better on this fight, with the increased damage buff and very very little movement. So far i have only been haste my self though, only tried protectors elite as mastery(dont have a lot of mastery gear, ~11.5k mastery with mage armor.)

And as some one said as well, use greater invis talent instead of cauterize as you are likely to be soaking annihilations.

Hf =)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Raves/advanced

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8574&e=9043

Arcane with haste reforge/gem using frost armor and invocation. I would rather use rune of power since invocating can be very inconvenient, especially on the orb phase, but it is very doable. I just have had issues with the platform and rune. Anyway, there is a kill for comparison's sake. Maybe someone in similiar gear will post a mastery spec.

*edit*

Take that damage number with a grain of salt though, as that was the first time we even tried him and killed him. Now that the raid, and myself, are more comfortable with the fight, I know there is more dps that can be squeezed out of the fight with my spec.

That said I personally like haste over mastery simply because I feel more secure with the orbs. I'm sure it is just as doable with mastery, since as long as you keep 6 stacks, your hits will be bigger, even if slower, which should even it out.
    Last edited by Malfecto; 2013-01-19 at 12:33 PM.

Deleted
    I can't speak for haste build, but my mastery build is pretty similar to yours (63% mastery raid buffed with mage armour and 9% haste), and I had absolutely no trouble with the orbs. A lot of people seem to be saying you'll find it easier with a haste build, but to be honest you should have no problems with a mastery build either. Losing stacks is also not an issue, you can always Arcane Explosion something if needed.

Ultimately it'll come down to which spec you do more damage with.

Deleted
    A quick question. I am soaking annihilation, so when should I use my invis? Right before it explodes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimme View Post
    A quick question. I am soaking annihilation, so when should I use my invis? Right before it explodes?
    So long as you use it before the add completes the cast you'll be fine. I personally use it roughly halfway through the cast.

OT:

Personally I find Haste build > Mastery build on every single fight this tier with Wind Lord and Garajal being the exceptions (Haste works better with movement, even if said movement is limited). I had no trouble on 5th Orb (could have easily done 6th as well) as Haste build in 485 iLvl running RoP and Frost Armor. You should ONLY drop stacks during Alter Time. On this fight it's actually possible to get disgustingly good uptime on 6 stacks, as you can AE the adds in P3 to keep them up before P1 repeat/P4.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should never drop out of 6 stacks... unless you have to.. which is during alter time, Sha cackle, empress retreat, vizier platform change (if lack of warlocks), tsulong phase change, .. (I think that's just about everything..)

If you can find time in that fight to stop and do nothing, let me know please.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    You should never drop out of 6 stacks... unless you have to.. which is during alter time, Sha cackle, empress retreat, vizier platform change (if lack of warlocks), tsulong phase change, .. (I think that's just about everything..)

If you can find time in that fight to stop and do nothing, let me know please.
    You should not loose stacks on sha cackle either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    You should not loose stacks on sha cackle either.
    This is true, you shouldn't lose your stacks on Sha as well. But it is harder. I try to save an Arc Missile proc for the cackle, so I fire them quickly at the add on the platform, but that always isn't the case.